Jalopnik: Subaru's FT-86

Just saw a blue one last night parked near MIT. So it begins.

There's a bunch all over boston. We have a proper car culture now. Also, I WANT ONE.

Every time I've driven past the local Toyota dealer (which is twice a day) they've been putting people in one for a test drive. The amount of interest this car is generating must make Toyota wish they did it ages ago.

I'm tempted to go and have a look when I can. They have an orange one and a black one that I've seen there.

i'm still seeing just the blue BRZ at the t-mo store. Wouldnt surprise me if there's more though.

Every time I've driven past the local Toyota dealer (which is twice a day) they've been putting people in one for a test drive. The amount of interest this car is generating must make Toyota wish they did it ages ago.

I'm tempted to go and have a look when I can. They have an orange one and a black one that I've seen there.

I drove one last week and loved it. Then the dealer mentioned that even if ordered today, I wouldn't see it until early next year....
Think I'll wait for the just run in second hand ones to start hitting the market.

Toyota has to be able to cope with demand. Is there a way for them to shift production? Or is this an issue on the Subaru side, which is already at capacity if I'm not mistaken?

Toyota has to be able to cope with demand. Is there a way for them to shift production? Or is this an issue on the Subaru side, which is already at capacity if I'm not mistaken?

All production is at Subaru's plant in Gunma, but I'm not sure about the politics of supply and demand at play here.

I need to stop coming into this thread or I may risk accidentally a whole FR-S.

I need to stop coming into this thread or I may risk accidentally a whole FR-S.

Every time I pass by either on the road, I admit, it looks good and has good presence on the road.

Holy crap... I knew this car wasn't very fast but in this video its really slow. My Miata accelerates about the same as the BRZ by the looks of it...

Yeah...that is definitely not the fastest top speed car out there. Heck, my WRX before I did any power mods would have blown past 140 and into the rev limiter within 10 seconds of shifting into 5th gear, especially after taking it to redline. Seems like 5th gear is kinda useless in that car for anything other then cruising along. I'm amazed at how big a difference a turbo charger and an extra 26hp does for it.

Last edited:
Here is an admittedly bad comparison video using my MX-5 (a 0-60 run shouldn't have a right turn at the beginning... I didn't want to drive 10 miles from my house to be able to do a straight run).

Anyone else think the BR-Z/FR-S sounds really bland and terrible? Or just me?

Its not just you. The engineers wanted authentic sound coming from the engine, the Toyota team was particularly against fake sounds.

Its not pleasant. When I drove it, the dealer seemed very proud of the system that piped more noise into the cabin.
When I get one, first job will be to rip that out.

I just keep thinking of the faster, better looking, higher quality, better sounding, better interior, more exciting, more interesting, and convertible Honda S2000....I've driven both, and the S2000 is just far and away more desirable to me.

I just keep thinking of the faster, better looking, higher quality, better sounding, better interior, more exciting, more interesting, and convertible Honda S2000....I've driven both, and the S2000 is just far and away more desirable to me.

I'm yet to drive one of those, but the thing that appeals to me most about the 86 is that it is able to fill a single car house role. The S2000 and Mx 5 simply cant do that for me.

Yeah, I understand that. Hence the 'to me' at the end of my post. :p

Don't expect the back seats to be useful at all though.