The Android thread

Does low reception kill battery life? I somehow have the feeling my battery drains faster while i'm at work. Anyone else have a Gnex with battery life issues? Mine lasts 10 hrs with 1 short phone call, visiting a few websites, a few SMS, 2 mail accounts. Wtf. According to the meter thingy, Screen uses the most, then idle state...

Does low reception kill battery life? I somehow have the feeling my battery drains faster while i'm at work. Anyone else have a Gnex with battery life issues? Mine lasts 10 hrs with 1 short phone call, visiting a few websites, a few SMS, 2 mail accounts. Wtf. According to the meter thingy, Screen uses the most, then idle state...

Low reception is a major drain on battery life, since the radios have to increase their output to talk with the tower, but it sounds like something else may be killing your battery (My GNexus lasts a good 24 hours with horrible reception at the lab and fuzting around with twitter/SMS every now and then, and two full days if I don't use the phone much). What does your battery usage graph look like?

Does low reception kill battery life? I somehow have the feeling my battery drains faster while i'm at work.
It surely does. Basically it works this way: The phone's radio works with the lowest amount of power needed to keep contact with the mobile phone network. If coverage gets worse, the phone ramps up the signal it sends out in order to keep in contact with the tower.

Apart from that, given your useage pattern you should at least get fifteen to twenty hours out of your battery. What ROM and kernel are you using? How often does your e-mail app check for mails? Does the phone use your workplace's Wi-Fi while you are at work or is it on 3G data all the time?

EDIT: Tap "Screen" in the battery stats and post your screen on time.

Last edited:
Did you have a Wi-Fi signal at any time during that day?

Are you staying logged in in Skype when you are not using it?

Yes at Uni I was on wifi for 1hr30mins, otherwise about an hour at home on wifi, I don't turn it off, just turn off notifications for wifi. When im not using Skype I turn it to "offline".

That said, reception seems poor not only at work but also at home. :/

The drop still's too steep. You are on a Galaxy Nexus as well, aren't you? Which ROM and Kernel are you using?

My bragging numbers say you should do much better:
myself said:
Running a Jellybean AOKP Nightly and Trinity Kernel, I was at 8% battery with 37 hours running on the clock, 2.5 hours screen on time, 16 minutes in calls and maybe a dozen texts sent and received.

Brightness is set to auto, I turn off Wi-Fi when there's no reception, GPS is off when I don't need it and I've kicked any unnecessary services from autostart. All in all, I am very satisfied by this performance.

EDIT: Most likely it's some app running in the background. Download a task manager and tell us what's running right after booting the phone.

Last edited:
Yes Galaxy Nexus.

http://sdrv.ms/Pav91H

The phone came with ICS from drei.at, it showed an available update to 4.1 which it downloaded and installed. Not really up to manually flashing ROM's and lose system updates from Google. Unless this would be a common issue with my version.

I do change the screen brightness to the medium settings sometimes when im in a dark area and the screen is just too dim. But today it was on auto 90% of the time.

Maybe the 2000mah battery is a good option for me?

Well, with the useage pattern you described you should get at least 20 hours of battery life even with a stock ROM. Something is wrong there and it most likely is some background app sucking your battery empty.

Here are my battery stats for the last day. As you can see, the "Aktiv" column aligns nicely with the "screen on" column except for some blips which are e-mails being pushed to the phone.

Screen on time: 2h 7 min
Calls: 8 min
Text messages: maybe 10 sent/received.

EDIT: And of course you should stop using your phone during classes! :D

Last edited:
hmmm, really happened from day 1. Maybe it is HaxSync thats one of the first apps I installed.
First thing I'd try, not the least cause it's simple, is quitting Skype instead of keeping it running and just setting it "offline".

EDIT: Is there a setting in Haxsync for how often it syncs with facebook? Set it to two hours or more.

First thing I'd try, not the least cause it's simple, is quitting Skype instead of keeping it running and just setting it "offline".

EDIT: Is there a setting in Haxsync for how often it syncs with facebook? Set it to two hours or more.

checked that, it is already set to once a day by default.

I deleted some apps with that WAKE_LOCK thing from the app of the blogpost you linked.

I'll go on comparing the "Bildschirm an" and "Aktiv" graphs the next few days and fiddle with it some more to find a culprit.