The Android thread

LIES! LIES AND SLANDER!
Sneaky HTC. I had a chat with them on twitter about it and they said the update that rolled out last week was the US only, and that they didn't have a firm date yet for Europe. This was yesterday. Today I get:

Sneaky bastards.

First impressions: Much smoother, less input lag, I love the flatter look, the themes are cool too, although I wish there were more of them and the inclusion of a font api seems like something that would appeal to young'uns. For now I'm keeping it at default unless I can find a nicer one.

The nice thing about themes is that HTC apps like the gallery and contacts will follow it, but if you prefer the more monochrome look to them, there's also a theme for that, which I have already switched to. Otherwise, it seemed a bit too cartoony. I may give it another try later on.

The app drawer has changed slightly. I think I'll actually miss the weather and clock widget at the top of the first page and there's no homescreen button anymore. I kinda got used to pressing it, as it was in the same position as the app drawer button in the dock.

The new camera app UI is nice, a lot less cluttered and easier to use, but I don't think I like the inclusion of a zoe at the top of every album in the gallery. Have to see if there's a way to turn those off. Maybe disabling the zoe app itself.

And after a year and 2 months, my phone has been dethroned as the one with the highest pixel density. :p Good job, LG. Hopefully you have enough oomph to drive that 1440p display.

From the comments on xda and reddit, looks like some bugs are not fixed. Some are saying they still get mm-qcamera-daemon sucking battery and others saying that they still experience network drops. So i'm not sure what to make of that. Luckily I haven't experienced these bugs on 4.4.2. (I got the qcamera bug once. A restart fixed it.)

I will update to 4.4.3 in a while. I run a custom kernel and have a few xposed modules so I want to make sure those are working fine with 4.4.3 before I update to it.

This is cool news

LG opens up QuickCircle case to developers, makes it more extensible http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-opens-quickcircle-sdk-developers

Quickwindow_G3_1.jpg

LG?has today announced the availability of its QCircle SDK, through which developers can tailor their apps to work with the?QuickCircle flip case?that was announced along with the?LG G3. And as it prepares to host a developer event in San Francisco, the company has also announced new SDKs for a handful of other?LG G3?features.

While the QuickCircle case includes the ability to answer incoming calls, reply to messages, access music controls, launch the camera and check emails, the QCircle SDK allows devs to make many more third-party apps accessible from directly within the windowed case. For more on the QuickCircle case, check out our?hands-on post?from the London launch event.

Also coming: SDKs for QSlide, QRemote and QPair.

In addition to the QCircle SDK, LG is rolling out additional for SDKs other features included in the G3. The QSlide SDK will allow developers to let their apps turn into miniature windowed apps on LG devices. The QRemote SDK will let developers build in support for more IR-controlled devices on LG phones with the right hardware. And the QPair SDK will let give developers access to the phone-to-tablet link that currently lets LG tablets answer calls through a paired LG phone.

Well in the case of 4.4.3, it was an under the hood update so it wasn't that exciting. I'm curious as to what we see at Google I/O.

Getting the latest Android version as soon as its out has lost its charm after having owned the Nexus 4 and now 5 for a while. It's nice, but meh.

:lol:

I am still excited, being left behind with my GNex. :p

Still 4.2.2 here and not really feeling like I'm missing a whole lot :dunno:

Yeah, the last updates were all a bit underwhelming. It's understandable, seeing as most of them (since 4.1 or so) were mostly under-the-hood stuff and very few new things actually visible to the user. But not quite as exciting as it used to be before :)

I think it's a good thing though, it shows that Android has finally reached a mature stage where it doesn't need any significant UI or other front-end changes with every version. It makes things easier for developers, too - keeping up with OS updates wasn't really easy before, especially with the 2.3->4.0 Holo transition; but anything working well on 4.0 still works just as well on 4.4 without any changes whatsoever.

I got the update. It has not fixed the signal issues. Turns out those will be solved in another MR. Supposedly according to a Google support rep. One day. Next I'll be rooting my phone and attempting to flash the 1st radio for the Nexus 5, the one that many report having no issues with.

I'm using my Galaxy S2 for two and a half years now. Still on the stock Android and wanna root it now.

Do some of you know some good beginner's guides for that? Also, I've read that rooting it and doing it wrong may cause it to not ever start again?

There's a small chance, but if you follow the instructions to the letter, you won't have problems. I've rooted dozens of phones and they all live happily with more streamlined android on them now.

Which Galaxy S2 do you have? (there were a LOT of different models)