The Android thread

My uncle is getting one. Supposedly world class stuff for half the price of a Samsung S5

http://bgr.com/2014/04/23/oneplus-one-specs-features-release-date/

The upcoming One from the company One Plus

oneplus-one-official-image-1.jpg

OnePlus on Wednesday finally unveiled its first Android handset, the highly anticipated CyanogenMod-based OnePlus One. Considering the phone?s specs and affordable price, the One is the only Android phone you should really consider buying right now. The device will be even cheaper than customers expect, retailing for either $299/?269 (the 16GB version) or $349/?299 (the 64GB version), and should be available in the near future in 16 markets.

The phone ?was designed to be beautiful, timeless and comfortable in the hand,? the company says. ?Embracing this design language, the One features subtle curves, sleek lines and a slightly raised, jet-black display. Even the smallest details belong uniquely to OnePlus, from the custom cut and engineered PCB boards to the specially designed battery and dyed inner casing. Each component is meticulously aligned and adorned with a OnePlus logo for a gorgeous device inside and out. Measuring only 8.9mm thick, the OnePlus One is ergonomic and easy to grip, with a tapered edge of just 4.6mm.?

Just as previously revealed, the phone packs a 5.5-inch 1080p Full HD display with LTPS and TOL (Touch on Lens) technology protected by Corning?s Gorilla Glass 3, 2.5GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor, Adreno 330 GPU, 3GB of LP-DDR3 RAM, 4G LTE support for many bands, 16/64GB storage, no microSD support, 13-megapixel 6-lens Sony Exmor camera with f/2.0 aperture, dual LED flash and 4K video capture support, 5-megapixel front-facing camera with 80-degree capture angle, dual-band 802.11 b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Bluetooth 4.1, NFC, GPS, GLONASS and embedded 3100mAh battery that should offer ?more than a full day of use?. The phone measures 152.9 x 75.9 x 8.9mm and weights 162g.

hmmm....that might be my next phone. My rates go up significantly if I do another subsidized phone, so that might be the ticket. Its the right form factor for me and has all the stuff I want for a great price.

I had never heard of it before this, so thanks for posting. I'm looking forward to some hands on reviews soon.

It looks very nice, but there's a lot to be weary about emergent smartphone companies and their lofty goals. Take the Oppo Find 7a, for instance (the upcoming 7's little brother). Very nice, good performance, but everyone complains about inconsistent build quality and worse than poor stand-by performance.

Phones like that are cheap for a reason.

Google may be partnering up with Mediatek to release a low priced Nexus phone

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Goog...uild-100-low-to-mid-range-Nexus-phone_id55312

Google teaming up with MediaTek to build $100 low to mid-range Nexus phone?

A rumor out of China Friday morning, indicates that there could be a low to mid-range Nexus handset on the way. Thanks to the use of MediaTek's low priced silicon, we are talking about a low to mid-range stock Android phone, priced at $100. And that is without a subsidy. Why the shocked look on your face? We've detailed a number of times how Chinese Android handset manufacturers are producing "value" models with quad-core CPUs, priced under $130 USD. The secret sauce is MediaTek's low priced processors.

Consider the Xiaomi Hongmi, also known as the Red Rice. Using the quad-core MT-6589 processor from MediaTek, the whole phone costs Xiaomi $85 for materials. The handset is sold in China for the equivalent of $130 USD. The chip accounts for 20% of what Xiaomi pays for the parts used to make the popular model.

We're planning to nudge our mom out of the mobile stone age, since she's not going to take the plunge by herself apparently :dunno:
Our requirements are Android, large screen (4.5"-5"), reasonable pricing (up to maybe 250?), no full-on Chinaphone, nice to have: a dedicated shutter button.

An Xperia SP seems to tick those boxes, any other suggestions that might do even better?

It looks very nice, but there's a lot to be weary about emergent smartphone companies and their lofty goals. Take the Oppo Find 7a, for instance (the upcoming 7's little brother). Very nice, good performance, but everyone complains about inconsistent build quality and worse than poor stand-by performance.

and since the company is run by the exact same dude who ran oppo... that might be of concern, yes.

Phones like that are cheap for a reason.

with this though, i wouldn't necessarily agree, since its price is way too close to the N5s price to justify any difference in quality

Is Google Getting Ready to Ditch the Nexus Name?

Google is reportedly getting ready to ditch its Nexus branding in favor of a new stringent "Silver"certification program, which would encourage hardware partners to make sick flagships with limited bloatware.

The Information has a (paywalled) report with a lot of details about Google's supposed plans. In short, it sounds like Google wants to set the rules for flagship hardware without having to be so hands-on with its actual development. For consumers, however, the plan might not look too different from the arrangements that already exist, with the exception of the new naming scheme.

According to the report, the prime partners would be Motorola and LG, whereas Samsung and HTC would probably not play along. That mimics the arrangement that exists right now. LG has manufactured that last few Nexus smartphones, and Motorola's Moto X was designed under Google's tutelage. HTC and Samsung, meanwhile, continue to insist on loading their phones with horrid skins that are inferior to stock Android.

We've heard speculation in recent months that Nexus might not continue to exist?and given how far Android has come over the last few years, maybe it makes sense for Google to take a step back.

LG playing hardball in the tablet market

http://m.androidcentral.com/lg-unveils-trio-new-g-pad-tablets

lg-gpads.jpg

LG has announced three new tablets in its G Pad line, to be unveiled at MedPI 2014 in Monaco this week. The new sizes accompany2013's G Pad 8.3*and include the G Pad 7.0, G Pad 8.0 and G Pad 10.1.

Each will include LG's innovative*Knock Code feature, which allows the user to unlock the device with a series of taps. A new version ofQ Pair*also will be on board, allowing the tablet to sync up with a smartphone and have phone calls and text messages passed on to it in real time.

Why can't it just be a phone?

I really want a 7 inch phablet.

A 10.1 G Tab is on my "want" list.

Cross-posting

Ordered a dual sim china phone for Dad from DX.

sku_315540_1.jpg

http://deals.dx.com/team.php?sku=315540

Something around $35 with a coupon with delivery. Worth taking a shot.

Will review when it's here. Yes the description is not great and in the typical Chinese product style but still. It's running Android, has a 4" screen for the cost of a regular Chinese dual sim here.

That's quite large, to me it's the perfect tablet size, and you can have a dumbphone for, you know, calling.
Would look pretty ridiculous calling on a 7" tablet though...

3a.jpg

Slight exaggeration...

You might be in the minority, most men I know have no interest in a phablet that size as it looks awkward when they go out socially and it won't fit in most pants pockets. Unless one were to carry man-purse... but then that leads to the much bigger problem of sporting a man-purse.

You might be in the minority, most men I know have no interest in a phablet that size as it looks awkward when they go out socially and it won't fit in most pants pockets. Unless one were to carry man-purse... but then that leads to the much bigger problem of sporting a man-purse.

I will wear it like bling yo!

The phablet, not a man purse...

Last edited: