The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

Boeing and Aibus, beware... The Canadians are coming.. :canadian: Bombardier are currently readying their first CSeries aircraft, a small airliner designed to compete with the Airbus A319 and the smaller versions of the aging 737. It will also be the first commercial narrow-body airliner with a composite construction. Here's their first flight prototype being put together:

1oSr5.jpg

cserie11.jpg

cserie10.jpg

CSeries%20FTV-1%201.jpg

8536771923_e664ac3640_h.jpg

dsc_0574.jpg

BA-FTV1_Power_on-HR.jpg

For those of you who miss the old MD-80/90-series, it will feature the same 2+3 seating configuration in economy class...
BA-CSeries_cabin_demonstrator3-HR.jpg

Some CGIs of what the final product will look like: (the smaller CS100)
CS100.jpg

The larger CS300:
Bombarider-CSeries-300-.jpg

CS100_CS300_3view.jpg

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how it will be able to compete with the larger Embraer E-jets.

So wanna fly a real flight simulator or shoot a movie in a real airline training cabin?

Well BA are renting off some of their training assets, when they are not in use.

BA Flight Training

(e.g. ?400 per hour for a Boeing 767, sounds too cheap)

:cool:

That is cheap but you gotta figure that whenever those sims aren't being used they are costing BA money. They spent XXX on those things as a lump cost. They cost them almost the same amount of money to sit still as they do to run. The ?400 os probably enough to cover the cost of power, the team that runs it plus service cost. The team that runs it needs training too.

That is cheap but you gotta figure that whenever those sims aren't being used they are costing BA money. They spent XXX on those things as a lump cost. They cost them almost the same amount of money to sit still as they do to run. The ?400 os probably enough to cover the cost of power, the team that runs it plus service cost. The team that runs it needs training too.

True, I bet they charge a full rate to other Airlines.

:smile:

Never seen a photo of a ekranoplan fire a missile before:

jnMJUVJ.jpg

Or this cool video with decent but out of place music:

Awesome video, but major :lol: at the music. I don't think I had ever seen a video of any of those in flight.

when and why did the russians stop using those Ekranoplans?

i think i know plenty of people who would prefer traveling to the US in one of those instead of a normal airplane...
don't think it is, but somehow looks a lot safer :lol:

Awesome B1 pics]

The general, well Colonel at the time, who flew the first B-1 mission over Iraq was killed in a plane crash yesterday. His Cessna crashed with his wife on board during landing.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articl...el_gets_to_within_5_kms_of_syrian_border_demp

By Gordon Lubold

Air Force Maj. Gen. Joe Brown and his wife were killed. Brown, a bomber pilot with more than 4,300 flight hours under his belt and a recipient of a Distinguished Flying Cross, was killed along with his wife, Sue, as he attempted to land a single-engine Cessna 210 near Williamsburg, Va. on Friday. Brown, who was apparently visiting his father in the area, was the commandant of the Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy at National Defense University in Washington - the former Industrial College of the Armed Forces, renamed last year. Brown was said to be well regarded on the NDU campus. NDU employees received an e-mail from Maj. Gen. Gregg Martin, president of the school, on Saturday, but the cause of the crash is as yet unclear. From Martin's e-mail, obtained by Situation Report, in which Martin said the NDU family had lost "two of the brightest lights in the constellation that is the National Defense University:" "I have no words to capture my emotions right now. General Joe Brown was simply the epitome of Air Force style, professionalism and grace. There was no better leader here at NDU, and no better friend on our team. I can't get his ready smile and easy laugh out of my mind just now. Joe and Sue were deeply loved, admired and respected by all."

Brown's career was marked by a historical flight over Iraq in March 2003 for which he received the Flying Cross. The WaPo: "On March 22, 2003, Brown, then a colonel, was tasked with flying his B-1 over classified locations in Iraq to destroy six Global Positioning System jamming towers, according to the citation. Coursing through ?lethal airspace,' Brown's ?extraordinary airmanship and bravery,' allowed him to outmaneuver three surface-to-air missiles and dense antiaircraft fire to successfully bomb enemy towers. The strikes were crucial to the early stages of the war because they allowed other bombers to find their targets with greater accuracy. During the mission, Brown became the first B-1 pilot to penetrate Baghdad's airspace."

Also killed in the crash: The Browns' dog, Jackson.

i think i know plenty of people who would prefer traveling to the US in one of those instead of a normal airplane...

As Spirfire says Erkanoplans were horrible impractical for lots of reasons. One of the biggest was they were hard to turn. The idea behind them is that they would allow for a very quick strike against targets in the Med. If the Soviets wanted to take control of the Suez canal and say Gibraltar a the same time the Erkanoplans would make it possible to movie a large armored force into the area quickly. The Erkanoplans would most likely be part of a three pronged initial assault. Bombers and fighter aircraft make the initial strike followed up by Erkanoplans with cruise missiles and submarines. Additional GEVs(Ground Effect Vehicles) bring in troops and heavy armor supplemented by paratroopers from traditional troop transports. How many tanks could a Caspian Sea monster sized GEV carry? How many troops? Just a handful could land most of a light armored division and the rest of the division could come in on regular troop transports

Modern anti-ship cruise missiles make a big GEV very vulnerable. In the 1960s radars probably wouldn't pick up even a big GEV but modern look down RADAR would. I am sure the Aegis system could pick one up easily too. They would be sitting, well fast moving, ducks to modern naval taskforce. You wouldn't even need a direct hit to sink one as any explosion that damaged a wing or engine sufficiently would cause a crash.

Traveling at high speed a dozen or so feet over the water with limited manuverability? What could possibly go wrong?

Can't remember his name but I think that might be a guy I have seen displaying at the Shoreham Airshow a few years ago - note the smoke pods on the wing tips. He cuts a horizontal ribbon with his tail plane inverted at not many feet off the deck.