The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

I went to the open day at D?sseldorf Airport today, they had a Ju 52, DC-3, An-2 and - drumrolls - DH.84 doing pleasure flights. I hope that those two pesky dustspots (which DO NOT budge, whatever I do) on the sensor of my camera left at least some of the 1000+ photos unspoilt. :D

:threadnopics:

Amazing!

I went to the open day at D?sseldorf Airport today, they had a Ju 52, DC-3, An-2 and - drumrolls - DH.84 doing pleasure flights. I hope that those two pesky dustspots (which DO NOT budge, whatever I do) on the sensor of my camera left at least some of the 1000+ photos unspoilt. :D
Alright then, here we go:

quartet.jpg

This is the lovely quartet of historic aircraft that pootled around DUS for the day. I'm sorry about all the ramp clutter, but this was the only moment when all four aircraft fit into one photo.

To the left is D-CDLH, Lufthansa's Junkers Ju 52. Don't be fooled by the "D-AQUI" markings, those are purely for decoration.
The neighbour to her left is PH-PBA, a Douglas DC-3 from 1944 in a gorgeous KLM livery. This is the aircraft thomas asked about earlier.
The red aircraft is an Antonov An-2 and aptly named the "Red Baron". It seems to be based at Dortmund airport, its registration is D-FONE.
Finally, there's my new personal favourite: EI-ABI, Aer Lingus' de Havilland DH.84 Dragon, named "Iolar" ("Eagle") and restored in time for the 75th anniversary of Aer Lingus in 2011. Sadly, I haven't been able to find too much information on it apart from an official Facebook page.

Iolar_1.jpg

This is "Iolar" returning from a pleasure flight. It really is as tiny as it looks, the red tail is that of an Air Berlin A320.

Red_Baron_1.jpg

The "Red Baron" also returns from one of its many flights. They really worked this one, a flight on it was much shorter than on any of the other aircraft.

Dakota_1.jpg

FINALLY, one of them waved! :happy:

Ju_52_1.jpg

Oh, that noise...

Now, for the flying bit - they're all going up where they really belong:

Iolar_2.jpg

Red_Baron_2.jpg

Dakota_2.jpg

Ju_52_2.jpg

Sadly, they used the far runway (05L) most of the time, which meant that even at 300mm and with VR enabled, my lens could do little but struggle... anyway, I do think you can just about make them out, even in the air:

Iolar_3.jpg

Those aren't any of the aforementioned dust spots, that's the Eagle scaring a couple of birds.

Red_Baron_3.jpg

See you soon! Too soon for my taste, if I'm honest.

Dakota_3.jpg

Level wings on final approach are for sissies.

Ju_52_3.jpg

Apart from the colour of the sky, sights don't get much better than this one.

Finally, a few more:

trio.jpg

heading back to his friends

Iolar_4.jpg

"I'm an airliner, too, you know!"

Ju_52_4.jpg

Lufthansa, new and old

tower.jpg

Just 'round the tower, you say? OK, fine by me!

All in all, it was a fantastic day out. I didn't have the opportunity to fly on any of the four, but since there will be opportunities to do so in the future, seeing them all together was almost better. All that remains is for me to get my camera cleaned - as soon as there's nothing really interesting coming up for a couple of weeks - and wait for sunshine next year!

Good pics Calvin, how much noise did the An-2 make?
(I saw one parked once, but never heard it run.)

Also:

Airport Live - BBC TV

BBC TV said:
Date: 21.05.2013
Category: BBC Two; Factual

Covering five square miles and processing nearly 200,000 passengers each day, Heathrow is one of the world?s busiest airports. In a new live event broadcast over four nights and produced in partnership with The Open University, Dan Snow will spend time at Heathrow?s heart ? the air traffic control tower.

Dallas Campbell and Anita Rani will also be airside, granted unparalleled access to get to grips with the extraordinary science, engineering and logistics that make air travel possible.

From air traffic control to airport hangars, the series will follow aircraft from the moment they enter Heathrow?s airspace to the moment they depart. With unprecedented access to the people and processes that make air travel possible, Airport Live will follow the airport as it works against the clock to keep planes on time, passengers moving and manage the impact of constantly changing weather conditions.

Dan Snow says: ?Air travel has become an everyday luxury that we take for granted, but behind the scenes it?s a fascinating web of processes all precisely managed to maintain equilibrium.

"Over four nights we?ll get the chance to see how it all works. We?ll take a look at the complex choreography of air traffic control, learn to fly the world?s largest passenger jet, the A380, and discover how weather plays a crucial role in keeping the whole operation running smoothly. Airport Live will be a thrilling journey through the skies and a definitive account of modern air travel.?

more via link

A good bit of Nerd TV for me to watch. :mrgreen:

I will post up the iPlayer link next week, if they put it up there.

Dat DC Tree!!!!

149.460x325.jpg

That GoPro vid reminded me of this.

Best aerobatic display team in the world.. Ride on-board. :)

[video=youtube;1e-aw3aJpBc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1e-aw3aJpBc[/video]