The Hypocrite List - What NEW cars is JJJ interested in?

JipJopJones

Car(s)
1979 Cressida Wagon, 1981 Corolla Hardtop
So I'm trying to figure out what new cars I'm interested in. My dad has offered to buy me a new car. It HAS to be a new car though.

He hasn't really given me much to work with, he just asked what I was interested in, and I don't really have a price point. So as of right now I'm trying to do just that... what new cars do I like?

I don't really follow new car news because they don't interest me much.

So far the list consists of:

Ford Mustang GT
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - This is really the only 4x4 I'm interested in, I'm pretty much looking for a car of some sort.
Subaru Impreza WRX STI

I have no idea if these cars are within the price point my dad was thinking, but the cheapest is the Wrangler by far.

My dad's criteria is it must be:

New
Something I will want to keep for more than 6 months (more like 5 years)

My criteria is:

It's got to be interesting - this goes back to the wanting to keep it thing
It's got to be a manual
4 seats would be nice

So finalgear, just throw names at me, I'm sure I'm overlooking or simply forgetting A LOT of cars because of my disinterest in new cars.

Last edited:
If you are keeping the Caballero get the Wrangler.

Yah, I'll be keeping the Caballero.

And for those who are thinking "you spoiled brat"
warning, slight sob story ahead:
well, I'm sorry, but I've been going through medical issues since the age of 12 and have had to put off going to post secondary for almost 3 years now because of them. It finally looks like I'll be able to go this September, and my folks said that they'd buy me some transport.

Just thought I'd throw that out there to stop any hostilities before they came. :)

Sports car or offroader? Might be good to decide what kind of car you want first :p

RX-8 is worth a look if you want a sports car with actual usable back seats but I'm not sure you'd like the engine. 370Z, Genesis Coupe, Challenger, Camaro, there really aren't a whole lot of cars that compete with the Mustang nowadays (low price point 4-seater sports car) so that narrows it down a lot.

I don't know much about SUVs so I'm not going to comment other than that there are few left that are anything like a Wrangler. Blind_IO will probably point you towards an XTerra and rightly so.

EDIT: re the above post, no worries here, if my parents offered me a new car I'd sure as hell take them up on it :lol:

Last edited:
I have a feeling my dad is a bit opposed to me getting a 4x4 just because he know's that I'd actually use it for 4x4ing and he doesn't want me to completely abuse the car. Where as with a sports car, although I would wring it out every once and a while the majority of the time I drive like a grandpa.

The RX8 is actually a good thought, I've always loved RX's and I know my dad likes them because he had 2 RX7's. (87 and a 93)

I have a feeling my dad is a bit opposed to me getting a 4x4 just because he know's that I'd actually use it for 4x4ing and he doesn't want me to completely abuse the car. Where as with a sports car, although I would wring it out every once and a while the majority of the time I drive like a grandpa.

The RX8 is actually a good thought, I've always loved RX's and I know my dad likes them because he had 2 RX7's. (87 and a 93)

I'm actually not sure how many there are left, I believe they have stopped manufacture and are selling off remaining stock (2011 is the last model year). But last I checked you can still find them new, heavily discounted even (a local paper advertised $22k and was willing to haggle).

Yah, I'll be keeping the Caballero.

And for those who are thinking "you spoiled brat"
warning, slight sob story ahead:
well, I'm sorry, but I've been going through medical issues since the age of 12 and have had to put off going to post secondary for almost 3 years now because of them. It finally looks like I'll be able to go this September, and my folks said that they'd buy me some transport.

Just thought I'd throw that out there to stop any hostilities before they came. :)

Congratulations on your feeling better. :)
I don't know what to suggest for you though, as even with money limit categories I still ended up with a long ass spreadsheet for myself. I agree with victor though, you should probably decide what kind you want first as if you are throwing up mustangs to compete with wranglers they are hard to compare and determine which is more fun. (I'd take either of those personally :lol:)

As for vehicle type. The only new 4x4 I'm really interested in is the Wrangler.

So I'm pretty much just looking for a 4 seater sports car of some sort. - Edited first post to reflect this.

Last edited:
I say go with the STi it checks all your boxes and if you get bored you can turn up the wick. My mother has been beating on her 04 WRX since new and never had any serious issues.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with a VW GTI. :p

The only one of your list that interests me and threfore I'd recommend is the STI. The looks of the wagon have kind of grown on me, if it had a bit more premium finish to it I might have gone that route myself.

The STI is the one I'm thinking about most right now. I think it's the most practical choice of the three. I'll have to see what my dad has to say about it and it's price. (It's the most expensive car I've mentioned to him)

Have you considered a base Mustang?

The GT is nice, but the V6 now has 5 more hp (305) than the 2005-08 GT. And if you get the performance package, you're basically getting the GT suspension. On top of all that, it gets about 30mpg on the highway and would be a bit cheaper to insure than the GT.

I never would have considered a V6 Mustang before, but the 2011+ models are really sweet. And listen to this exhaust note!

Well, if daddy is buying and has a pretty decent budget, a CTS-V would be nice. :p

Well, if daddy is buying and has a pretty decent budget, a CTS-V would be nice. :p

Oh wouldn't it be. :p I think that's out of the price range though. Although to be honest I don't know what that budget is yet.

GTI? 325i? elise? 370Z? G37? FT86?

Last edited:

Only if daddy is also buying the gas and maintenance. :p

I'm actually semi-serious, make sure you can afford the upkeep unless your parents will also cover that.