The "New Toys" Thread

I probably will after this set dies.

hd_d2quadranext_6.jpg

1TB of pure awesomeness :)

I have now 2.64TB on my server :)

2.jpg

Finally, a tube amp to match my HD650s.

Yes it does sound good.

Obviously, there are even better amps out there, but they cost an arm and a leg.

Audio snobs crack me up. Is that a mono or stereo amp? And how much do the new tubes cost? Do you have a turntable or are you using CDs/MP3s?

Audio snobs crack me up. Is that a mono or stereo amp? And how much do the new tubes cost? Do you have a turntable or are you using CDs/MP3s?

Its a stereo amp. New tubes don't have to cost much - A decent set can be had for around $30.

I plan on hooking this up to my DAC at home. I have CDs as well as plenty of FLAC files to use.

And how the hell is being a bit of an audiophile snobbish? Its no different from those who constantly upgrade their PCs to chase after better performance for the hell of it.

Last edited:
Being an audiophile isn't snobbish in and of itself, but it's part of the stereotype. You know, the type of people who say "how can you even listen to mp3s, you must be deaf, I only listen to 10000000% lossless <acronym> on my $500 gigantic headphones."

I appreciate good audio but honestly I am perfectly satisfied with my $30 speakers.

:stupid:

Its a stereo amp. New tubes don't have to cost much - A decent set can be had for around $30.

I plan on hooking this up to my DAC at home. I have CDs as well as plenty of FLAC files to use.

And how the hell is being a bit of an audiophile snobbish? Its no different from those who constantly upgrade their PCs to chase after better performance for the hell of it.

I used to work with a guy that bought 4 mono tube amps to run his system. It did sound terrific, but he had a brand new amp that he threw in the closet that sounded just as good IMHO. I guess this is the guy that really set the tone for some of the audio snobs I have come across in the years since.

One of those bought a $1500 turntable, then had to buy a new tuner to match it(exact sme one he had in silver instead of black). But if it makes you happy, fine, just don't get mad if it reminds me of those guys and I poke a bit of fun. I have also joked with some peeps on FG buying vinyl, then not being happy with it.

Maybe snob was a bit harsh, maybe purist works better. I do beg your forgiveness, well not beg.:p

Well, I'm certainly not one of those people who spend $1500 on a freakin volume knob :p

This tube amp was about $280AUD, so it wasn't exactly top-of-the-line. However, as a first tube amp (so to speak) its very nice and quiet upgradable with a change of tubes.

out of curiousity, how much were the SSDs?

Intel Core i7 860 -nice!
WD Caviar Black - 640GB - meh
XFX Radeon 4770 - meh
Asus P7P55D EVO Motherboard -nice!
4GB of Mushkin DDR3 1600 RAM - meh
Antec 650W True Power PSU - you could do with less, good for upgrading I guess
Antec 300 Case nice!
Windows 7 Home Premium - meh
Lite-On DVD Burner - meh

7/10

Keep on Trollin'

Last edited:
I reinstalled this laptop I'm on because I was convinced there was something wrong with it since it was so slow. It was exactly as slow after the reinstall, my main workstations SSD have simply made me impatient. Dangerous devices.