The Ultimate macOS Thread

Apparently there's going to be an update to the plastic body macbook to bring its design inline with the rest of the family.

Hopefully it'll be out by late November :)

They need to quit with the plastic body already. They got away from it for a reason. There's no reason the 13 inch MacBook "Pro" has to be as expensive as it is. They should have just kept it as the MacBook and at the same price.

They're really pissing me off on their laptop selection. My white MacBook does not approve.

Yeah I bet they want to quit making the white MacBook as well, but I believe that it is their best seller for the Mac lineup and the aluminum MacBooks may be a bit more expensive to make.

They should have just kept it as the MacBook and at the same price.

What, lowering the price $100 and making it a Pro was a bad thing?

Sorry, I meant the same prices as the all-plastic MacBook lineup.

I like the plastic MB cos it's so damn cheap. Good value for money.

Only problem is the cracking of the top case. It was decent of them to fix it for free outside of warranty, but it would have been better if they solved the cause. I still don't know if they have, so buying a plastic MB would leave me wondering if I'll have a cracked top case after 13 months.

I like the plastic MB cos it's so damn cheap. Good value for money.

Only problem is the cracking of the top case. It was decent of them to fix it for free outside of warranty, but it would have been better if they solved the cause. I still don't know if they have, so buying a plastic MB would leave me wondering if I'll have a cracked top case after 13 months.

Will they still do that for mine? The edges around my screen are cracked in 4 places. And I lost a sliver on my left palm rest and bottom right palm rest.

I read up on it and some people said yes, some no. I think it's like a silent recall.

First my wife called the support line and they said no, it's out of warranty. So we went to the (Ginza) store and the guy (after checking a chart with dates of manufacture on it) said yes, we're very sorry for the poor quality we'll replace it for you. It just so happened that the night before I spilled my drink on it and it stopped working! So then he said, no you have to pay. He wouldn't commit to saying that I could continue to bring it back every time it breaks.

I think your best bet is to take it to a proper Apple store (if possible) and first just ask them. It's a known issue and they should have heard of it. It isn't just the top case cracking, crap can fall down inside and screw up more important stuff. Now I've put some little rubber stoppers at the top to reduce the stress so hopefully I can avoid it happening again.

Oh, and my networking seems to working OK now. Haven't had problems for a while now. Still don't know what the problem was/is.

I live about 10 minutes from 2 Apple Stores, so I will stop by soon. I also need to take my G5 in because it has been crashing a lot (I stopped using it for the last year, just need to back up the data).

Uhmm.. I have Win7 running in a Virtual Machine just to be able to use Mp3tag on the Mac. Works fine, if it weren't for the fact, that it won't let me save the files after changing the tags. What am I missing?

There isn't a decent equivalent to Mp3tag for OS X, or is there?

Sorry to bump an old thread but I didn't think this deserved a new one. The recent discussion over in the new toys thread has reminded me of my middle and high school days, where the entire school had nothing but Macs. They were fairly locked down (could only run certain programs) but we found a way around it. I was also successful with this method at another high school, where the Macs were much more tightly locked because they were only meant to serve a single purpose. IIRC this worked on both OS X 10.3 and 10.4.

The question to you Mac users out there is: security hole or incompetent IT? Here's what we did to run "blocked" applications as long as you had access to Safari:

1) load up this webpage
2) click the link to open in Script Editor. Bypass #1: works even if the Script Editor is blocked on the machine
3) delete the code and write a tell script:
Code:
tell application "<application name>"
open
end tell
Not sure of the exact script but it was something like that
4) run the script. Bypass #2: script opens targeted application even if it should be blocked. Even works for downloaded apps.

I have no idea about any security settings but I can only assume that disallowing Applescript would plug this hole. Still, neither method seems like it should be able to bypass account privileges.

Last edited:
I recall having tested a similar solution (with the Terminal) and it didn't work with 10.5, I'll have to run some more tests :)

Seeing as this thread has been bumped I was going to post some thoughts on SL, but forgot what I was going to say.

Coming from 10.4

+
Faster shut down.
FF3 loads faster.

-
Don't like the networking - no shortcut in sidebar, need 2 windows open etc
Finder seems to not stick to one view type, can't work it out.
Automator now requires me to point to a file for existing workflows, pain in the arse, just open the damn UI!

That's all I can think of right now.

Overall, some things improved but more went backwards IMO.

What annoys me most about Snow Leopard is the amount of third-party stuff it breaks, for example printer drivers for Canon network printers (new drivers are announced by Canon for "late november") and Cisco VPN Client (yeah, i know, support for Cisco VPN is now built-in, but not for encrypted pre-shared passwords - EPIC FAIL).

What annoys me most about Snow Leopard is the amount of third-party stuff it breaks, for example printer drivers for Canon network printers (new drivers are announced by Canon for "late november") and Cisco VPN Client (yeah, i know, support for Cisco VPN is now built-in, but not for encrypted pre-shared passwords - EPIC FAIL).

I guess I was lucky, mine still works.

But there were a couple of programs, like Cyberduck that I had to update.

What are some "must-have" OSX programs?

I'm newb at OSX.