Understated cars: Saab 9-2x

They call it the Saabaru in Sweden. Probably out of good reason. Fortunately never on sale here along with the 9-7X.

If you're getting a Saab the 9-5 is the one to have imho. That's a real SAAB. My father has a 9-5 Aero which is really nice. They are well worth the price. Especially when you compare how much more you need to spend if you're gonna get an Audi or a Beemer with similiar equipment and performance. Great car for longer distance with a decent MPG, good buildquality and quite fun to drive.

Last edited:
We have a couple of 9-2xs on our subaru forum, and it seems it just has a lot better quality and finish to the car...even though most of the car is similar. Its not a bad wagon either...i like the looks

How could it be better assembled than the WRX? Wasn't it built right alondside it in Japan? I guess they could have put more effort into making it since they knew it was going to be a premium car.

those are quick cars. i raced a tuned one to 120mph in my dad's 300C and it pulled 3 lengths on me.

all new saabs are a bit underwhelming, although i do like the funky bits on the interior, especially the air vents :), wish they would make another eccentric car like they used to

Yeah, it's too expensive for what you get. People criticize Lexus for being a Toyota with a higher price tag

well tahts ignorant of them isnt it, seeing as Lexus's are generally completely different cars in construction, how many rear wheel drive, double wishbone suspension, aluminum V-8 powered Toyotas do you know?

with that said though i still wouldn't buy a Lexus, not until they make something more stimulating, their great technically but i don't know if thats enough!

Last edited:
well tahts ignorant of them isnt it, seeing as Lexus's are generally completely different cars in construction...

Dunno where you live but in Europe the previous model Lexus IS was just a rebadged Toyota Altezza.

Dunno where you live but in Europe the previous model Lexus IS was just a rebadged Toyota Altezza.

Until very recently the Lexus brand didn't exist in Japan, so IIRC the Altezza was actually a rebadged IS - i.e. the car was conceived as a Lexus.

Until very recently the Lexus brand didn't exist in Japan, so IIRC the Altezza was actually a rebadged IS - i.e. the car was conceived as a Lexus.

Well, I am no expert so you might be right, however the Altezza was on sale a lot sooner than the IS. As far as I know the IS was just a quick decision to expand the Brand in the european market (to help Lexus compete with the 3-series and the C-class...)

I like the original Saab's, not the rebadged rip-offs of late. A good friend had a 93 9000 Turbo CS Aero...actually a really nice car, with an amazing engine. It would pull from 60-100 faster than a 911 Turbo...just an amazing car on the highway.

Well, I am no expert so you might be right, however the Altezza was on sale a lot sooner than the IS. As far as I know the IS was just a quick decision to expand the Brand in the european market (to help Lexus compete with the 3-series and the C-class...)

Yup the Altezza exisisted before the IS300 as a four cylinder turbo beast but when they brought it to the US they shoved the the 3.0 I6 into it.

Shoved being the opperative word because it barely fit in there. They are a pain in the ass to work on since that engine was never designed to be in the smaller engine bay.

Just to get the oil filter out you have to have triple joined elbows and wrists along with flame proof skin. :mad:

Yup the Altezza exisisted before the IS300 as a four cylinder turbo beast but when they brought it to the US they shoved the the 3.0 I6 into it.

But the IS200 also existed before the IS300 - the 3.0l model was added later in the IS' life. Hmm, we'll get to the bottom of this somehow...

I don't think it's actually a case of what came first - it's more a question of whether the vehicle was developed as a Lexus (with the corresponding higher standards than regular Toyotas), and then rebadged as a Toyota, or vice versa. But then I suppose you could easily argue they're all Toyotas, just that some have higher standards of build & engineering.

I like the original Saab's, not the rebadged rip-offs of late. A good friend had a 93 9000 Turbo CS Aero...actually a really nice car, with an amazing engine. It would pull from 60-100 faster than a 911 Turbo...just an amazing car on the highway.
We used to own one og those. Really good cars. As you said they're are great on the highway. And now days you can get them pretty cheap also.

You can even get them cheap here. :)

And that comfort, the power and the space means I probalby will go for a 9000 Turbo once I get the money. :)

i don't like saaburus to be honest, or saabs altogether. the interiors are as dull as a duck's arse and the cars don't look too nice either IMO. (new facelifted models)
Resize%20of%20SAAB%209-5%20Sedan.jpg
Dame-Edna-article(3).jpg

cough

ALso, the lastest WRX has no more up-pipe and a bigger 2.5L block for less lag (about 500 rpm less) and a broader torque band.

Having been on sale for two years now, i reckon we could get great deals on these.

don't you mean no more up-pipe cat converter?

I saw a 9-7X facelift the other day.

Wow, it is just incredibly ugly. A definite engineering marvel for 2006.

OMFG the 9-7x is burning my eyes. and then :sick:

i don't like saaburus to be honest, or saabs altogether. the interiors are as dull as a duck's arse and the cars don't look too nice either IMO. (new facelifted models)
Resize%20of%20SAAB%209-5%20Sedan.jpg
Dame-Edna-article(3).jpg

cough
You know, that is what aftermarket add ons are for. :) Someone with their hands deep and warm in the pussy of the aftermarket add on buissness has alot of influence on GM, I guess. :p