What to do with the forum software? [Please vote!]

• Wait and see if the new box fixes phpBB2, then go on to phpBB3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fuck it, buy Invision ($185)

• Hmm, I dunno / I'm clueless!

• Total voters
I use Simple Machines (SMF) because phpBB2 doesn't have some features I want. I'm planning to switch when phpBB3 comes out, again for features, but SMF has been very nice. Intuitively, I find it quite different--and perhaps not as easy to use--but it has been quite good. I don't know whether this applies or not, but it might be worth keeping in mind that it's a bit easier to modify an open-source BB, should the need arise.

Well all forums are open source. For the most part, you can't have closed source PHP scripts. ;)

Viper007Bond said:
Well all forums are open source. For the most part, you can't have closed source PHP scripts. ;)

Yes, you can encrypt/encode php scripts. Some commercial scripting companies do.

jeffy777 said:
Viper007Bond said:

Yes, you can encrypt/encode php scripts. Some commercial scripting companies do.
I know, hence "for the most part". We won't be going anywhere near that shit as you gotta run modules and junk.

I've been active in a bunch of forums for years, and the only choice of software in my eyes is vB. All the other forums I know are not as good as the vB ones. It's a personal thing too, I guess it just suits me. Obviously, I voted for option #2, and if you ask me to switch or not, I'd say switch any day.

Regards
the Interceptor

vBulletin - another Forum I use uses it and it seems stable (which frankly is what I'm most concerned about).
It seems like we've been having phpBB issues since forever on this forum...

(obviously I'm assuming we will still have the same features and theme on vB? )

More features, not the same theme, at least at first. We'd need to remake it or at least find something similiar.

My vote is for VB as well, it converts all our data without problems, there are no posting issues, and you can utilize many more features (Memory cache for forum objects, multiple database servers) should we ever need them.

Few items to look at:
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186803

The main forum I have been posting in for nearly seven years now, I was a founding member, currently uses a version of VBulletin. It works very well and this is their current stats list.

Threads: 454,093, Posts: 19,499,807, Members: 726,461

599 current active people on the board as of this second.

I really like vBulletin. But it's definitely more of a "what just plain old works" kind of thing. The forums shouldn't be something that consume a lot of technical resources.

I'm more than willing to contribute to the purchase of a license if that makes everyone's life easier.

Steve

VB hands down...I run a couple of VB's and to date IMO they are the best boards running.

phpBB has always been behind, are a pita to do updates, have serious security issues (or had) and dont have near the features the VB do.