Windows 7, so who's tried it?

This isn't exactly the point.

When I downloaded the RC we were given Ultimate. But when I got the (free) final version from MSDNAA it was Professional. So I can't use the upgrade option, I need to do a clean install.

I agree, I'll happily use Pro, I just wanted Ultimate so I didn't have to do a clean install.
You can "upgrade" from Ultimate to Professional, though it needs some registry hacking.
Tried it myself, "upgraded" from X64 Ultimate to x64 Professional.
Use this guide: http://www.unawave.de/installation/downgrade-en.html?lang=EN

And just so you people know, most of Win 7 (excl. E, N etc) editions are on the same dvd; if a certain edition is automatically installed, it's because of ei.cfg file. Copy the contents of the dvd onto your hdd, delete the ei.cfg file and burn the files onto a dvd. Now you can choose, which edition to install. Also, this file can be edited to install a certain edition, ie Professional or HomePremium.
The ei.cfg file is in the "sources" folder if I remeber correctly. Here's the guide: http://windows7center.com/news/how-to-install-any-version-or-sku-of-windows-7/

Last edited:
Very easy way to change the logon screen without any hacking or programs :)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSVRQzhJrGE[/YOUTUBE]

I just used it to get the original logon screen instead of the ugly brown screen my HP Laptop came with :)
But im thinking about making my logon screen mach my backgrounds because it's so easy to do :)

Last edited:
Great tip there, I also watched the one about advanced user accounts, and finally I can set myself as a proper administrator.

thx for the vid, now i can enjoy my d3 login :)

Very easy way to change the logon screen without any hacking or programs :)

[YOUTUBE]oSVRQzhJrGE[/YOUTUBE]

I just used it to get the original logon screen instead of the ugly brown screen my HP Laptop came with :)
But im thinking about making my logon screen mach my backgrounds because it's so easy to do :)

The guy forgot one crucial thing...

Always backup the registry before making changes. You never know what an errant mouse click in the Registry Editor can do, esp if you go really deep into it. Even creating a System Restore point will suffice. I'm sure a lot of people here know this but just in case, lol.

Seriously, last time I edited the registry without backing it up ("Oh, it's just one quick thing"), I misclicked and deleted the entire contents of the Games Explorer. After that it just crashed when I tried to open it.

Sorry about typos, a few keys are broke with this keyboard.
I have issues booting Windows 7. Basically I currently have a singe 1TB HDD in my comp. This is i two 500GB partitions. C: is my old Widows XP install & D: is my curret Widows 7 install. I also had an 80GB HDD in which was originally the C: drive. This was removed ad formatted this morning.
Now the system will not boot ad says "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER."
I assume the boot info was on the 80gb drive, so it cannot find it.
Basically I need to add the boot fies off the 7 dvd, but I don't kow how to do this. The repair utiity does not recogise that there is an installatio at all, but the files are all there.
I have tried the same as this perso with the same resuts.

"Hey, I'm having the same problem here. I had initially installed Vista on one HDD, then installed W7 on another, which eventually became my main OS. I took everything I needed from my vista disk and decided to do a wipe on it. Finished wiping and realized that the mbr I needed was contained on the disk I just formatted. I did all of these -

BOOTREC /FIXMBR - operation completed successfully
BOOTREC /FIXBOOT - element not found
BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD - It finds my installation, and when I try to add it to boot list it says element not found.
BOOTREC /SCANOS - same as above

I also tried -
Bcdboot D:\windows

which produced "Failure when attempting to copy boot files."

I guess I just need a way to recreate the mbr in another manner. Thanks.

EDIT: More context that may help. Upon booting to the Windows 7 Recovery, I choose repair and from there it asks me to select the OS installation. None are listed."

You can ignore the above, I managed to get it to work. Basically I told it to do a new install, and turned the computer off straight after it had unpacked the files. This gave me a corrupted boot file to work with, so after a few startup repairs from the repair console, it finally swapped the drive names around and booted.

Finally found a version of Musicmatch Jukebox that works in Win7. I gave Winamp a try, but it's just not for me. I found that MMJB 10.00.4033 will work correctly on Win7 (I have 10.00.4015a before, that version didn't work).

What the hell? That old-ass program is still around and people still use it? I've been using WMP for years now ever since Winamp turned into shit.

What the hell? That old-ass program is still around and people still use it? I've been using WMP for years now ever since Winamp turned into shit.

WMP as in Windows Media Player that comes with Win7? I actually haven't tried WMP on Win7 because they used to be pretty bad. MMJB10 is not that old, the version I'm using is only 5 years old. :p

WMP is perfectly acceptable for use, millions of people like it just fine. There are problems, yes, but so do other programs. The advantage WMP has is how well it's integrated into windows 7 and media center. If you don't use those features though you probably won't see the fuss, but it's really not that bad. That said, I prefer version 11 over version 12 which comes with windows 7.

+1 for WMP.

I was a fanatical foobar2000 user before and a fanatical winamp user before that. But after ~10 years what I came to learn is by the end of the day, you just work with the way a software works rather than try to customize every minor aspect of the software...you just don't care any more. And for that situations, WMP is good enough for me.

WMP even in Windows 7 has proven to be inadequate. Doesn't display subtitles for movies and has problems with several older rips I have. CCCP with MPCHC does that without a hitch and I've been using Winamp since 1.x. It is the best player in the world for music.

I'm forced to use iTunes (iPhone) and surprisingly I started quite liking it. Pain on slower computers, but quite reasonable to use on my desktop. For videos, I use VLC. :love:

Windows Media Player + CCCP is the only thing I've found that will play decent-size h.264 smoothly on the netbook (Atom N270, Windows 7). It's rather baffling.