Windows won't load

Cryptopygia

The Eastern state where you can't fill your tank
Car(s)
Whichever car is still working
As if my computer hasn't given me enough trouble...

Well, now Windows refuses to even enter the loading screen, even if I boot from safe-mode or CD. I had changed my CD drives (one had stopped recognizing the discs) but Windows started when I changed the drives. I'm guessing reloading Windows is going to be the only way to fix this, but I can't get to the menu that lets me do this...

Well what does it say? Do you get a BSOD?

Go into the BIOS and check the boot order. Make sure the system drive is selected.

Your BIOS might even have a boot menu you can access during POST. Look for something along the lines of "Press ESC to boot" before it loads Windows.

I assume it takes you to a screen complaining that windows did not load on the last boot and it gives you some options?

So, you try normal and safe mode and it won't boot? Does it hang, does it just reboot, or does it BSOD? You could be looking at more than a bad install.

As for booting from a CD. Make sure you have it as a boot device in the BIOS and you'll probably want to set it as the first device. Also, make sure that your BIOS even sees the CD drive as you could have a bad drive. Once you get it to boot from the CD try going into the recovery console from Windows setup and then once you get to a prompt type CHKDSK /R

It will take a while to run but if it doesn't fix the issue you will need to reload. If you have data that you need to back up then I suggest pulling the drive or booting from a Knoppix CD, I can give you a link to the image if you need it, and transfer them off to another computer over the network.

Last edited:
So, you try normal and safe mode and it won't boot? Does it hang, does it just reboot, or does it BSOD? You could be looking at more than a bad install.

It hangs when it attempts to load Windows, in both safe and normal mode, and from the CD.

Sounds like a hardware problem then. What components do you have in your system?

Sounds like a hardware problem then. What components do you have in your system?

Lite-On LH-16W1P DVD drive (broken)
Sony CD drive
Seagate 80GB master and original Maxtor (eek) 32GB slave hard drives.
OEM Compaq motherboard

Is that helpful?

Check the RAM. In my 3 weeks IT experience, it's always the RAM.

It hangs when it attempts to load Windows, in both safe and normal mode, and from the CD.

I had this happen when one of my sticks of RAM went to crap. Try taking one stick out at a time and see if it boots.

Yeah, it's hardware. Try testing the RAM if you have some extra known good sticks, if not scan with Memtest. The RAM is the most likely suspect but these things can be caused by the motherboard, CPU, and even the PSU.

Could just be a badly seated stick. I got a machine that worked perfectly after I took the RAM out and put it back. The guy who owned it had written it off as dead.

Could just be a badly seated stick. I got a machine that worked perfectly after I took the RAM out and put it back. The guy who owned it had written it off as dead.

Re-seating the modules did the trick...

Glee! :D

Thanks to all you who helped.

Last edited:
Re-seated? Modules?

Who needs tech speak? I don't bother with it. :D

You took the sticks out and put 'em back, yous did. :lol: