You know who did 7'26.70.. and now there's a video proof.

Well the thread is pretty new, it just seems to be one of these topics that you really can?t kill...

Well the thread is pretty new, it just seems to be one of these topics that you really can?t kill...
... and I really tried to not get into the same discussion again ... which I've failed to do. :rolleyes:

Let me start off by apologizing, I left off one of my all time favorites in the NSX on accident.

Oh don't even start by insinuating that because I'm younger that I somehow lack the maturity to understand what good cars are. How many cars on my list have you driven exactly? Many of these are held in regard amongst the best driver's cars of all time. In fact the Miata is quite possibly one of the purest useable sports cars ever made, which is why I ended up with one.

You claim that they're just letters and numbers but let's not forget the German penchant for alphanumeric model names. Perhaps you lack the experience with these cars to make a proper qualitative judgement, fairly illogical don't you think? Just to be clear I have driven almost every car on that list with the exception of a couple models which were never available in the States.

As for the Launch Control debacle, Nissan didn't design the car properly to take the stresses of one of it's advertised features, and rather than take responsibility they blame the user of the cars, many of whom had to pay exorbitant repair costs because of it. These cars weren't breaking after repeated use of it, they were breaking after only one or two applications of it. Fairly reasonable in my mind.

I don't think it's wise to criticize any sports car owner for wanting to experience the full potential of their cars, as it happens across the board. I may not like the car, or how Nissan is unwilling to take responsibility for the car, but to stereotype the owners based on that is bordering on ignorant.

I must have hit a weak spot...

Sorry, if I upset you but in Germany we have a saying: "Who fits into the shoe, puts it on." ;)

Anyway, I was just giving an example about the immaturity of some GT-R owners - specifically American ones -, who obviously showed no appreciation for the car they own and forced Nissan to remove a feature from it as a result. I don't blame Nissan for it, I blame those quarter mile race idiots.

Those may be few but they ruin the image of the owners of Nissan GT-R's or the likes. It's the "The Fast and the Furious" effect, I guess.

In my world everyone who willingly or carelessly wrecks a good piece of engineering or craftmanship against better judgement, doesn't deserve owning it.

The reason why I never would buy a Nissan GT-R (even if I had the money) is simply that I think a super car has to look good. And I'm sorry but the GT-R is a bit of a minger. And as I already said: The interior puts me off.

Last edited:
It depends on your point of view. If you ask most Corvette owners around here, they would say that Porsches are for rich people trying to show off and are driven by sissies. Even mentioning anything Japanese would probably getting you a punch in the face. :D

You're in Ann Arbor? Surely you've seen the bright orange Corvette around downtown with the license plate that reads PLASTIC. I've talked to the guy who owns it... old, overweight bearded man who's owned a series of Corvettes over the years, and actually seems to take pride in the fact that his car is made of plastic.

... and I really tried to not get into the same discussion again ... which I've failed to do. :rolleyes:
yeah, same here... but it is just too tempting when the extremists of both worlds throw stupid arguments at each other...

The reason why I never would buy a Nissan GT-R (even if I had the money) is simply that I think a super car has to look good. And I'm sorry but the GT-R is a bit of a minger. And as I already said: The interior puts me off.

Don?t know about the interior as I?ve never been in one, but don?t let the photographs of the outer shell fool you. It?s quite strange really, I found the GT-R butt ugly in any picture I saw. And then I noticed one parked at the ring entrance. It really doesn?t stand out at all (especially not in this particular parking lot), but it really has a certain presence, and when you stand in front of it you can?t help but think that it?s actually pretty cool.

Explain a .5sec quicker acceleration figure to 100mph (161km/h) with press cars compared to a 997 Turbo when they have similar power output, both AWD, and the 997 is more than 300lbs (~136kg) less.

I think it was MotorTrend which confirmed that the GT-R does in fact produce the hp Nissan claims, but the torque was underrated. As for lap times, I don't see why everyone is still saying Nissan used a special GT-R for their 'ring lap times. Porsche claims that the GT-R could never have been quicker than the Turbo. But most of the comparisons I've read have shown that the GT-R is quicker around multiple tracks compared to the Turbo. Plus Nissan's test drivers have probably spent months trying to get the best lap possible. For all we know, they went through the lap telemetry corner by corner thousands of times to see where they could shave a fraction of a second.

You're in Ann Arbor? Surely you've seen the bright orange Corvette around downtown with the license plate that reads PLASTIC. I've talked to the guy who owns it... old, overweight bearded man who's owned a series of Corvettes over the years, and actually seems to take pride in the fact that his car is made of plastic.

Haha I've seen an orange Corvette but I don't know if that's that specific one. It's funny though, because I hardly ever see Corvettes in Ann Arbor. I think I've actually seen more Vipers in that area.

I don't apreciate a car that can be fast ONLY with all it's fancy electronics. Rubbish. Get a real hardcore striped-out track car - that's the real thing.

I don't apreciate a car that can be fast ONLY with all it's fancy electronics. Rubbish. Get a real hardcore striped-out track car - that's the real thing.
Dude, you're like 10 threads too late for general-anti-GT-R-rant! :p

I think we should just ban the GT-R off all roads in Europe and USA. It's not patriotic, and steals away buyers from Corvette and Porsche.

I must have hit a weak spot...

Sorry, if I upset you but in Germany we have a saying: "Who fits into the shoe, puts it on." ;)

Your statement was:
"Japanese -- very good at making cars but very bad at making you really want 'em."

That is why I took issue to it because it's very narrow-minded. My experience with very subjective objects like food, cars, etc is that you can't truly make a judgement on them without experiencing it first. Some of the best food I'd ever had was unappetizing to me before being convinced to have it. The same goes for cars, even more so given the amount of misinformation relating to many of the truly great cars.

Anyway, I was just giving an example about the immaturity of some GT-R owners - specifically American ones -, who obviously showed no appreciation for the car they own and forced Nissan to remove a feature from it as a result. I don't blame Nissan for it, I blame those quarter mile race idiots.

Those may be few but they ruin the image of the owners of Nissan GT-R's or the likes. It's the "The Fast and the Furious" effect, I guess.

Have you met the American GT-R owners to whom you refer? I have. The Fast and Furious kiddies just can't afford a $70k car, most of the owners I've met (and I've met quite a few) are enthusiasts who want to use the car to its fullest potential.

In my world everyone who willingly or carelessly wrecks a good piece of engineering or craftmanship against better judgement, doesn't deserve owning it.

Then I assume sports car owners are almost universally frowned upon. I would hate to know what you thought of people like myself who race them...

We are in agreement there on the looks of the GT-R being less than desirable.

Let's put this into perspective. Name another <500hp, >1700kg car that will run a time anywhere close to that.

What next "not sold in a very dark shade of Maroon"?

Who the hell cares about a car the moment you have to qualify it with that?

BREAKING NEWS! JUST IN!

Not everyone likes the same cars!

Fuck me if there wasn't a gazzilion page long thread almost identical to this (same people arguing) over a year ago?

Let go of the anguish people! :lol:

BREAKING NEWS! JUST IN!

Fuck me if there wasn't a gazzilion page long thread almost identical to this (same people arguing) over a year ago?

A bit of common sense and rationality!

Ironic coming from the guy with the GT-R powered silvia :lol:

BREAKING NEWS! JUST IN!

HOYL SHIT
Really?
I was so suprised I couldn't be bothered to spell holy right.

Well I'm not sure how using a standard feature that came with a vehicle qualifies as abuse. The Nissan GT-R is obviously high performance oriented with a launching feature, like many other vehicles have. And it turned out that Nissan under-estimated the stress that that would cause the gearbox and transmission and subsequently removed that feature.

As for lap times, I don't see why everyone is still saying Nissan used a special GT-R for their 'ring lap times. Porsche claims that the GT-R could never have been quicker than the Turbo. But most of the comparisons I've read have shown that the GT-R is quicker around multiple tracks compared to the Turbo. Plus Nissan's test drivers have probably spent months trying to get the best lap possible. For all we know, they went through the lap telemetry corner by corner thousands of times to see where they could shave a fraction of a second.

A great website that compiles track times for all kinds of vehicles. Here's the comparision betwen the GT-R and the 997 Turbo:
http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php?page_id=compare&car1=4717b80e35715&car2=4585844a79f19

Well I'm just talking generally, not specifically about the 'Ring. Even with all the clever electronics it just can't overcome the sheer mass it has, you can only get so much grip from a given amount of tire no matter how well you design the car.

I too share this feeling. Now if only we had someone with enough resources and a factory stock GT-R and access to a fearless driver to completely and utterly try to test the GT-R and see how it does on the 'Ring....

I too share this feeling. Now if only we had someone with enough resources and a factory stock GT-R and access to a fearless driver to completely and utterly try to test the GT-R and see how it does on the 'Ring....

A great website that compiles track times for all kinds of vehicles. Here's the comparision betwen the GT-R and the 997 Turbo:
http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php?page_id=compare&car1=4717b80e35715&car2=4585844a79f19

What, why? You've just posted the answer. The GT-R was faster on all but 2 of those laps. Independent testing.

Hell, the Autocar test used a customer car and it was faster.

How much more proof do you need?

Let go of the anguish people! images/smilies/lol.gif

I know. I just can't put up with the lies, half-truths and unfounded accusations.

I mean, this is the internet! No place for that kind of behaviour.

Well I'm not sure how using a standard feature that came with a vehicle qualifies as abuse. The Nissan GT-R is obviously high performance oriented with a launching feature, like many other vehicles have. And it turned out that Nissan under-estimated the stress that that would cause the gearbox and transmission and subsequently removed that feature.
The launch control was not a standard feature. It was not documented in the manual, which also forbid using the electronics setting necessary to activate the launch control for other than very specific conditions (like for when you're stuck in mud or snow). Nevertheless, the launch control was advertised by many people as being a feature, which simply is false.

Last edited:
The launch control was not a standard feature. It was not documented in the manual, which also forbid using the electronics setting necessary to activate the launch control for other than very specific conditions (like for when you're stuck in mud or snow). Nevertheless, the launch control was advertised by many people as being a feature, which simply is false.

Oh interesting. I thought the GT-R and cars of such calibre would usually have such features standard. So it's not really a "launch control" but some other mechanism by which one can exploit as if it is real "launch control." meh.

Last edited: