Forum Suggestions / Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, will do. I've got three ISPs (well technically Vodafone and 3 are the same now, but the reception is extremely variable), so I can do a traceroute on all of them. Just gotta go do the shopping first. Will post when done. With as much info as I can drag together.

Three Mobile Broadband
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/as/ashspet/2010/08/28/traceroute_3.jpg

Vodafone Mobile Broadband
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/as/ashspet/2010/08/28/traceroute_vodafone.jpg

(Optus was previously posted)

Yes, I know there are issues with both the above just getting to the network (crap connections and all) but the errors I get there are different to what I've been getting from FG. Usually early afternoon (14:00 AEST - +10GMT) is the worst and again about 19:00 AEST. And usually the error is No Response from finalgear.com. I've tried having iSpy open to keep a live connection going, but that hasn't helped either.

Thanks for the info. Are you still having trouble? And does it happen on all three of your ISPs or only Optus.

We're still working with our provider to see what the problem is, but these transient network problems can be really tricky to track down. Thank you for being patient.

Vodafone very occasionally that's not attributable to just accessing the network, and the issues with Optus seem to have calmed. It's not every other page load now. Very occasional (maybe one in 50...?). I'll yet you know if it gets worse again.

I'm using Telstra (BigPond), but I haven't had the problem since I first brought it up in this thread.

OK, do let me know if it crops up again (and get both working and failing traceroutes!), and I'll reopen the ticket. Until then, we're going to assume whatever problem the transcontinental link was having has been resolved.

Will do. Many thanks!

Other than showing how slow your connections to the US are, it unfortunately doesn't show much. That the traffic has been rerouted might mean your ISP noticed that traffic was not being passed along by that backbone, or it might just mean they adjusted their peering slightly. It seems like you can get to our server... eventually.

I figured. Just reads like a holiday trip or something. I laughed anyway.

Speed is overrated you know. :p

i don't know if anybody has asked this already but are you going to add the count down clock for top gear usa

Yes, as I mentioned in the TG USA post on the front page. ;)

Speaking of the front page, would you add a button next to the others (FORUMS, WHATS NEW, ISPY) to go to the home page?

Speaking of the front page, would you add a button next to the others (FORUMS, WHATS NEW, ISPY) to go to the home page?

Done and I removed the one that used to be at the top of the forum home page. Good call.

I've mentioned it a dozen of times, but... Date and time are still forced to US format? Come on... I can't believe VB would still have such a huge and obvious bug.

just change it in your personal settings

It does nothing. Still US format everywhere.

Done and I removed the one that used to be at the top of the forum home page. Good call.

Actually, I think this is a bit illogical atm. The home buttons is a "toggle" one, so to speak. But the design on the main page is completely different, so you never see the button actually toggled. Also, I found myself clicking the FG logo a couple of times when I wanted to go to the main page. I think the logo should point there. It's a minor complaint though, in the big scheme of things I don't care ;) I do care about time format though!

Last edited:
just change it in your personal settings

I ran a plugin that changed your date format on the fly based on those settings. The plugin isn't compatible with vB4 and I forgot to find the time to rewrite it.

Status
Not open for further replies.