Bicycles!

I tried that. Didn't work... when it's locked, the wire is under load (can you say it like that?... i guess you know what I mean).

So if you remove the wire, the lockout should be always open... but it didn't. Well i brought it to the dealer, he sent it away to RockShox.. and I got it back and it didn't work anymore completely (before it was lockable.. but not unlockable)..

So I sent it back again.. finally got it back and made a tour today with a friend. Took my cam with me

https://pic.armedcats.net/i/i-/i-d-k/2010/03/07/P1000521_b.jpg

Ah....Ah....Ah...hipster!

Excuse me, I sneezed :D

Jesus Cocksucking Christ, those are beautiful. Shame they are a bit out of my price range.

Since my old road bike is pretty much dead now, I consider a fixed gear to get me around town. I'm just a slave to trends. Back off, BlaRo! :p

nice bikes

My 2 month old hardtail - Trek 4300 - I do 30-60km on weekends...the last two weekends it's included some climbs and a 50-55kmph downhill run :p
4568267228_cb2632f6a5_o.jpg

Specialized S-Works E-5, all Ultegra with Easton wheels for the road.
Gary Fisher Mt Tam for the hills

*bump*

So, can anyone explain the advantages and disadvantages of disc brakes compared to v-brakes on a MTB? There is only so much brake force you can apply before breaking friction anyway, so why would I want disc brakes over v-brakes?

If you ride on muddy trails, disc brakes are less prone to fouling by the mud. It ruins the braking surface and decreases braking power. If you have ridden a bike with v-brakes in the rain, you should know what I mean.

Also, less moment of inertia cos of the braking surface.

Okay guys thanks, that actually makes sense now that I think about it. While I don't plan on trashing it through some mud trails right away its hell-u-va expensive to convert it to disc brakes in a later stage, so I might aswell shelf out some extra money on the right bike. Will riding with disc brakes on the beach/dunes with all that salt do any extra damage to the brakes compared to v-brakes though?

Edit: I've done some reading up on the maintenance too, considering I want to ride it on the beach/dunes it will be very prone to rusting quickly. Plus sand getting in between the pads = worn out pads very quickly. The pads and discs are much more expensive than simple v-brake pads, so perhaps it is wise afterall to start out with v-brakes, and when I'm done with sand, move on to discs for more serious mudding? The biggest disadvantages of the v-brakes like you said is reduced brake force (something I can live with in such a flat country), and I saw a mention that they ruin your rims sooner or later.

In summary, considering I'm gonna be new to MTB-ing, and the great difference in initial cost + maintenance, will v-brakes do? Its hard to get a real objective opinion on the MTB forums I've scrolled through, they have die-hards who wouldn't want anything else than disc brakes and the opposite.

Last edited:
Just bought this...
imagen

Orbea Master Hydro...

Suspension ROCK SHOX TORA 302 AIR DISC 100 MM
Crankset SHIMANO FCM 443 22x32x44
Shift levers SHIMANO DEORE RAPID FIRE NEW
Brakes F&R SHIMANO FORMULA 486 HYDRAULIC WHITE
Rear deraileur SHIMANO XT
Front deraileur SHIMANO DEORE 2010
Chain SHIMANO HG 53
Rear cogs SRAM PG 950 11-32 9S
Tyres HUTCHINSON PYTHON 26
Pedals SHIMANO PDM 520
Saddle SR VIPER

Weight 13.2 kg

695 Euros (about 910 USD)...

I'd never heard of this make before coming to Spain, but it seems OK

I had a Marin Palisades Trail (circa 1996) before, and it wasn't too bad, but this is in a different league.

I was trying to explain to my Dad why 700 Euros wasn't a great deal to spend on a MTB these days and tried the Car analogy...

I reckon this is the Seat Ibiza Cupra of mountain bikes...

Mid level, sporty, good equipment and Spanish :)

Obviously for 700 euros, you're not gonna get a BMW or a carbon fibre "Rolls Royce" of a bike.

It seems like it's a "special construction" they make occasionally, from what I gather from the bike shop. It isn't in the series list anyway.

For 700 (ish) Euros, it seems a bit of a bargain to me, any thoughts ?

In response to the above post...

I wouldn't discount disc brakes just because of the rust or wear issue...

My old bike just wouldn't stop after going through a bit of water, the new one stops scarily fast.

The discs are out of the way, near the hub, most dirt won't even get there in normal riding.

Also what is there to rust ? the discs are aluminium ( :p amerikuns)

Cosmetically speaking, the rims on a V-Brake bike look like shit after 1 ride, never mind after 1 or 2 years use.

To sum up... I really can't see many disadvantages to a disc set-up these days ....

Last edited:
So I've been looking around, seeing what is available. I came across a Scott YZ1 for roughly 200 EUR, unfortunately it has already been sold. Then I also came across this Giant XTC 850 with disc brakes for a seemingly reasonable price of 315 EUR, while it's a bit more than I was planning on shelfing out it is fitted out nicely with mainly Shimano components and ofcourse disc brakes.

mYovj.png

Anyone has any thoughts on this bike?

In response to the above post...

I wouldn't discount disc brakes just because of the rust or wear issue...

My old bike just wouldn't stop after going through a bit of water, the new one stops scarily fast.

The discs are out of the way, near the hub, most dirt won't even get there in normal riding.

Also what is there to rust ? the discs are aluminium ( :p amerikuns)

Cosmetically speaking, the rims on a V-Brake bike look like shit after 1 ride, never mind after 1 or 2 years use.

To sum up... I really can't see many disadvantages to a disc set-up these days ....
Sorry, didn't see this bit until just now (tl;dr :p). Sounds like the Giant I have listed above then has pretty much everything I want at a reasonable price. *goes to send an email right away*

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
If you lived around here, disk brakes would have a big disadvantage: theft.
No kidding. Thieves prefer to rob bicycles with disk brakes because they know they're worth more. :|

Nah, those look ace! Not everyone on here is into fancy bikes. ;)

here's an older picture of my bike... yes i have since cleaned it (although i rarely do, because then you can see the beaten state of the frame) and ditched the lock-holding thingy...
IMG_1231.jpg

also, i've had multiple parts replaced, because i do quite a bit of mileage. it's a dr?ssiger frame with mostly deore technology (although brake-leavers etc. are alivio because i'm a cheapo :p)

If you lived around here, disk brakes would have a big disadvantage: theft.
No kidding. Thieves prefer to rob bicycles with disk brakes because they know they're worth more. :|
Yeah, I figure they do know that much here aswell, but it shouldn't be a problem really. I don't even plan on insuring it as it will be moving while it's outside, and when I'm done riding it, it'll be parked inside my house.

In related news; it appears the bike I mentioned above is mine. Going by on tuesday to see it/pick it up.

I have a bike too! :eek:

https://pic.armedcats.net/r/ra/ramseus/2010/07/31/n.jpg

It's almost three months old, my first nice bike and the first bike I've even had in seven years. It made me feel like a midget when I bought it because most of the bikes in the shop were like 19" frames and mine's a 15 so it looked like kiddy bike in comparison.