Forum Suggestions / Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dammit, now I'll actually have to be clear and concise in my posts, instead of posting relative garbage and then refining it into... not-so-garbage.

EDIT: Er, wait? Does not compute.

Well this is going to screw over F3TA threads, and I don't think you'll want me pestering you every time I want to add a name to the 'Entries received so far' list.

Well this is going to screw over F3TA threads, and I don't think you'll want me pestering you every time I want to add a name to the 'Entries received so far' list.

As Quiky said:
If you need a post changed, just hit the report button, put a copy of your new post or any changes, and it will be taken care of. This is a temporary workaround until we migrate to VB4(Couple weeks or so).

We don't mind updating your thread. It's less work than dealing with idiots who replace their posts with garbage.

Okay that seems to work fine, just had a thread altered (I assume by Mgkdk) very quickly. Thanks. :)

So, while checking out a thread this morning, I had this thought. Let me preface it by saying I have not done a search to see if this has been suggested before, so if it has been asked and answered apologies in advance. :)

I know that threads used to be called a random set of numbers in a previous iteration of vBulletin, and now the thread title is used in the URL for that thread. For instance, I am looking at this in my address bar right now:

http://forums.finalgear.com/the-forums/forum-suggestions-issues-14374/page-41/

The problem is, if people use a "dirty" word in the thread title, this goes straight into the URL. Blind_Io has a new thread up about asshole cyclists - and that word is in the thread title. Long story short, that URL is going to show up in our companies' firewall logs, increasing the chance of this site getting blocked at work, which I don't want.

I know its easy to say "well, don't open those threads at work" but if I am checking for new posts and I cant visit a certain thread, it may not pop up as having new posts later when I am at home or whatever.

I know that vBulletin can automatically replace certain words in posts. Can it do the same thing for just thread titles?

So, while checking out a thread this morning, I had this thought. Let me preface it by saying I have not done a search to see if this has been suggested before, so if it has been asked and answered apologies in advance. :)

I know that threads used to be called a random set of numbers in a previous iteration of vBulletin, and now the thread title is used in the URL for that thread. For instance, I am looking at this in my address bar right now:

http://forums.finalgear.com/the-forums/forum-suggestions-issues-14374/page-41/

The problem is, if people use a "dirty" word in the thread title, this goes straight into the URL. Blind_Io has a new thread up about asshole cyclists - and that word is in the thread title. Long story short, that URL is going to show up in our companies' firewall logs, increasing the chance of this site getting blocked at work, which I don't want.

I know its easy to say "well, don't open those threads at work" but if I am checking for new posts and I cant visit a certain thread, it may not pop up as having new posts later when I am at home or whatever.

I know that vBulletin can automatically replace certain words in posts. Can it do the same thing for just thread titles?

vB3 doesn't support these fancy URLs (although vB4 does). We use an addon called vBSEO.

And no, it doesn't appear to be able to replace words in titles. I'll manually change it though.

Well - I don't want this to be something you have to manually police. I was just curious if there were a programatic way to fix it...

vB4 / new vBSEO perhaps. Not too worried about all this stuff as we're upgrading a lotta software over the next few weeks and they'll have lots of new features.

Here you go: (o)(o)

502 Bad Gateway

The server returned an invalid or incomplete response.

^ this. I get it trying to sending PMs, writing responses in forums (either quick or advanced). The message goes through, I just get a blank page with the 502 message at the top. I've cleared caches and everything, and only experience it on the forums.

We're working on getting the new servers set up, so rather than track down the cause of this now, I think we'll just keep on checking items off the todo list and hope the new servers fix it.

Speaking of Driving Roads, will the new server make it a bit less funky? Right now the old user group exists in limbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.