Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Was it though? I would think it would always that definition being made mostly to perform

The stick axle out of a pickup truck was one of the, er, sticking points. Also, earlier models' RandomSteer. Ford kind of lost the plot on actual handling from 1974-1993. Most of that performance you mention was 'straight line only' for a long, long time.

Last edited:
The stick axle out of a pickup truck was one of the, er, sticking points. Also, earlier models' RandomSteer. Ford kind of lost the plot on actual handling from 1974-1993. Most of that performance you mention was 'straight line only' for a long, long time.

Drag racing is still racing, still a sport. Also handling is kind of relative, I'm sure there are mediocre handling cars now that can outhandle good handling cars from say 60s.

Drag racing is still racing, still a sport. Also handling is kind of relative, I'm sure there are mediocre handling cars now that can outhandle good handling cars from say 60s.

There are also a few mediocre handling cars from the 60s that out handle Mustangs well into the 90s. My 66 Tempest was a good example(GM A body in general). That was on skinny stock size tires.

If you haven't changed the fluid, assume 120k will be the blow up date. At least that's what happened to an ex coworkers '09 Patriot. Service tech who had the Patriot before her never changed the fluid. Boom, middle of nowhere Wisconsin(which is anywhere between Green Bay, Milwaukee and Madison) the tranny blew up.

We will find out. I haven't changed it and I'm not sure if I will.

It may dealer only (fluid access) just like the Jeeps.

This week I've got a 2017 Suburban as a rental. In town this thing sucks. Either poor transmission operation, not enough gears, or not enough power with the 5.3l. I'm either idling or between 3-4.5k RPM. It feels so sluggish. Highway it's ok but what car can't do that well?

Last edited:
It may dealer only (fluid access) just like the Jeeps.

This week I've got a 2017 Suburban as a rental. In town this thing sucks. Either poor transmission operation, not enough gears, or not enough power with the 5.3l. I'm either idling or between 3-4.5k RPM. It feels so sluggish. Highway it's ok but what car can't do that well?

Sounds like you got a defective one.

Was it an EV? I know theres one of those in Pittsburg, and I'm pretty sure its on classic plates.

No, gas, and it sounded like it needs work done to the engine,

Here anything older than 25years can get classic plates. Insurance is hella cheap for them but there are certain restrictions on when and how much you can drive.

It's 15 for a classic and 25 for an antique in PA, emissions exempt, but from what I understand the use restrictions are draconian and pretty much obviate anything but show and Sunday drive use.

Sounds like you got a defective one.

It's how I'm giving throttle inputs. I'm also in the Appalachian area so that could be amplifying the shitty-ness.

Fucking Cacti, I got a flat tyre this morning. I assumed i had an air pump and a pot of glue so i couldn't be bothered to check.

I got to work and 12 hours later, shockingly the tyre is flat. Luckily it had a space saver... So the car now just steers right by itself. It's set up perfectly for Nascar as long as i go the wrong way.

Fuck space savers.

Missed again today. Twice. Decided to skip an Impreza RS because autotragic.

Missed an Outback because my boss was yakking at me about things far less important than parts cars.

Can anyone in TX pick up and hold a car for me pending transport? Looking to expand the search radius a bit.

Missed again today. Twice. Decided to skip an Impreza RS because autotragic.

Missed an Outback because my boss was yakking at me about things far less important than parts cars.

Can anyone in TX pick up and hold a car for me pending transport? Looking to expand the search radius a bit.

That depends - where in Texas?

Assorted Copart locations. Relevant to you would probably be...

There's one in Grand Prairie, which seems to be in the central DFW Junkyard Zone.
Another south in Wilmer.
Another north of Fort Worth in Haslet.

This'd be a "collect it and stuff it in a hole until the weekend" affair.

Of course, nobody has anything relevant in inventory right now (aside from a riced out hail damage WRX that'll inevitably go for piles more money than I want to spend) so this is strictly theoretical at this point.

What range of models and years are you looking for? I can always keep an eye out locally.

'00+ Impreza (any submodel except the Outback) with a stick.
Only condition requirement is that all 4 corners should have the major members intact and unbent.

Bonus points for an '06/07 Impreza 2.5i with a non-broken engine.

Apparently I can directly hit auctions in AR, OK and KS (clean title only) and MO (salvage only) if you'd be willing to cover some of that territory.

(Incidentally, it's a good thing I just checked the Outback's suspension layout, apparently it's WAY different than what I want)

Last edited:
'00+ Impreza (any submodel except the Outback) with a stick.
Only condition requirement is that all 4 corners should have the major members intact and unbent.

Bonus points for an '06/07 Impreza 2.5i with a non-broken engine.

Apparently I can directly hit auctions in AR, OK and KS (clean title only) and MO (salvage only) if you'd be willing to cover some of that territory.

(Incidentally, it's a good thing I just checked the Outback's suspension layout, apparently it's WAY different than what I want)

Copy. I'll look around on CL and Facebook to see what's available.

I could pick something up at Copart (or elsewhere) if needed.

Edit: Also not sure what you are looking to spend, but here's a few local cars:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/380394095664904

Wrong year, but cheap: https://stjoseph.craigslist.org/cto/6092041370.html
Combined with this: https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/6091279603.html

https://fayar.craigslist.org/cto/6090179426.html

Last edited: