Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Today on EyeMWing tries to buy a parts Subaru:
07 Impreza Outback wagon.

Black/gray two tone. 136k miles. Manual trans. Caved in tailgate, intact glass, no other damage.

Salvage title in Norf Carolina.

Prebidding up to $1550. My cap is $1700, so not much meat on the bone here.

And gone. $2600 to someone in Texas.

And gone. $2600 to someone in Texas.

I know someone in Texas that has more Subarus than all of FG sitting on the property, in all kinds of conditions.. so my head went straight there.. but that sounds like way too much for the car, so I doubt that its the same person.. :D

Sounds like it will be getting on a trailer down to Central America for rebuild and profit.

Odd one with the Altima today. Car hadn't been started since Friday. Mrs. CraigB went to drive it this morning and she said it sort of started on the first try, but then died. She tried to start it a couple more times and it would only crank. She called me out to the driveway and I pulled the engine cover off, looked for anything obvious, couldn't find anything. I had her crank it over while I watched, it would try and fire, but wouldn't quite catch. I checked fuses, pulled and cleaned the cam position sensor. Then I pulled a plug (was gas fouled) and coil, set it up to watch for spark and had her crank it over. It sparked a couple times, then fired off. I had her shut the engine off, put the plug and coil back in, then it started normally. Ran a bit rough for a couple seconds, but then was fine. She drove it to town without issue and when she got to her destination I told her to shut it off and try to restart it, it worked fine. I've ordered a cam position sensor, but anyone got any other ideas?

Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I would think a fuel delivery issue like a stuck valve or injector.

Being a novice with this sort of thing, what would a cam position sensor do in this situation? Would a cam position sensor falsely tell the car to dump more gas in when in reality you've put too much in already?

Odd one with the Altima today. Car hadn't been started since Friday. Mrs. CraigB went to drive it this morning and she said it sort of started on the first try, but then died. She tried to start it a couple more times and it would only crank. She called me out to the driveway and I pulled the engine cover off, looked for anything obvious, couldn't find anything. I had her crank it over while I watched, it would try and fire, but wouldn't quite catch. I checked fuses, pulled and cleaned the cam position sensor. Then I pulled a plug (was gas fouled) and coil, set it up to watch for spark and had her crank it over. It sparked a couple times, then fired off. I had her shut the engine off, put the plug and coil back in, then it started normally. Ran a bit rough for a couple seconds, but then was fine. She drove it to town without issue and when she got to her destination I told her to shut it off and try to restart it, it worked fine. I've ordered a cam position sensor, but anyone got any other ideas?

Crank position sensor is a common failure on these motors, when I had that I did all 3, 2xCam, 1xCrank

Check your fuel pressure.

Will do.

Crank position sensor is a common failure on these motors, when I had that I did all 3, 2xCam, 1xCrank

I didn't know there was a separate crankshaft sensor. I'll look into getting that as well. Looks like the 2.5 only has one camshaft sensor.

I've complained about license plate tab placement before on FG, but this is a new low. My eye started twitching when I saw this.

pV9g1gJ.jpg

Perhaps I take it to the opposite extreme where I try to line up the new sticker over the old one perfectly, but this is madness. I can see why this person needs to park in a handicap space.

How is that legal? Surely there's gotta be an "obstruction of license plate" law of some sort.

I've complained about license plate tab placement before on FG, but this is a new low. My eye started twitching when I saw this.

Perhaps I take it to the opposite extreme where I try to line up the new sticker over the old one perfectly, but this is madness. I can see why this person needs to park in a handicap space.

Back in Wyoming that nonesense would technically mean the registration is invalid, as the sticker must be placed specifically in the top left corner of the plate with just the year and month of the current sticker clearly visible. Police could easily issue a ticket and tell them to fix it, and probably impound the vehicle for repeated offenses. Assuming one cared enough, anyway.

pV9g1gJ.jpg

Texas went to windshield stickers instead of plate stickers specifically because of that stupid shit - that and theft. The only vehicles that still have plate 'tabs' or stickers here are things on the motorcycle size plate, which clearly says where to stick the sticker.

Why would you not peel the old one off? Or am I asking a silly question here?

Saying that I'm glad we don't have that. In fact there is no visual indicator of a vehicles tax, insurance or MOT status. Not sure I like that either.

Why would you not peel the old one off? Or am I asking a silly question here?

Usually because it's some industrial instant adhesive and the stickers are cut/perforated so they only come off in multiple small pieces if you try it. You're supposed to just put the new one over the top of the old one, then every so many years they issue new license plates and you start again.

Texas went to windshield stickers instead of plate stickers specifically because of that stupid shit - that and theft. The only vehicles that still have plate 'tabs' or stickers here are things on the motorcycle size plate, which clearly says where to stick the sticker.

I'd actually prefer a plate sticker, namely because I HATE windshield stickers. I was actually just wondering why you need to have both this weekend actually. And then there are states like PA and NY that make you have 2 windshield stickers for some ungodly reason.

aS8GQZll.jpg

That would drive me up the wall. There is no reason all your registration, emission and inspection data can't be stored on your plate tab.

But yeah, but to Michigan, when you get the tab in the mail (or at the local SOS) the paper says you MUST put the sticker in the top right corner. http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1585-162375--,00.html
KWTr6ih.png

Technically, if the cops wanted to stop that driver for improper tab placement. You're also not allowed to conceal the state name on any state plate so that would also be a violation regardless of placement. And you have stickers over characters. And the cop has to hunt through all the stickers to find the current one. I know if I was a police officer, I'd slap Anna with as big of a fine as I legally could.

Last edited:
I'd actually prefer a plate sticker, namely because I HATE windshield stickers. I was actually just wondering why you need to have both this weekend actually. And then there are states like PA and NY that make you have 2 windshield stickers for some ungodly reason.

aS8GQZll.jpg

That would drive me up the wall. There is no reason all your registration and inspection data can't be stored on your plate tab.

It's simple - every county has a safety inspection. Not every county has a emissions inspection. I guess they could create a combined safety/emissions inspection sticker though *hmm*

I'd actually prefer a plate sticker, namely because I HATE windshield stickers. I was actually just wondering why you need to have both this weekend actually.

Not quite sure what you mean here - motorcycles, trailers and such in Texas that use plate stickers don't have windshield stickers (no windshield, no sticker), whereas those vehicles that use windshield stickers don't use plate stickers.

New York is an even worse offender

ZXM8HWBl.jpg

With A-pillars already getting so huge, why make the down vision that much worse in the corners. And they're ugly. And they always have bubbles.

- - - Updated - - -

Not quite sure what you mean here - motorcycles, trailers and such in Texas that use plate stickers don't have windshield stickers (no windshield, no sticker), whereas those vehicles that use windshield stickers don't use plate stickers.

I was talking about states that require both. Like most states. Code all the relevant data on the license plate sticker and remove the sticker from the windshield. Hell, make the license plate sticker a QR code that the cop can scan to get all relevant inspection/emission/registration status updates about the car/bike/trailer/boat/atv/whatever.

Last edited: