Motorvation - A FinalGear TV show about cars and people who own them

Nobody punch anyone in the face, please :p

I'll explain.

I know we did quite a lot of driveby shots. Shots where either me or ivan REALLY tried to bring the noise over, and especially some of the stuff where ivan was driving like a madman in the corners, were awesome. And those really should have been in the video.

Because, when i was watching it, the part where matt was actually doing some driving, with in car commentary,there were some brief outside shots (where you can hardly hear the car at all) and we're already at the conclusion.

Sure, you may think of some things as repetitive, but people want to see the car in action and several repeat shots of the car and the noise would be awesome and they would help bring matts point across much better.

I'm pretty sure i'm not alone in thinking that.

And you're saying that I didn't try to do anything with all the footage that we recorded over the past 3 weeks that I've spent many nights up trying to make this mess into a working, coherent video. Let me be precisely clear. Is this what you're saying?

No, what i'm saying is that you didn't try to integrate the many drivebys. The videos are well made and all the material that is there is very good. But it's lacking some action and the conclusion at the cafe comes too quickly. More shots of car driving would do the video so much good.

In that case I have nothing more to say to you and you can proceed with the action I suggested on whatsapp earlier. Good day.

First of all, props to Matt for clear and non-stuttering commentary. Beautiful filmography. Rivals those of the upbudget youtube-videos easily!

I'm telling you though: 8 minutes is too long for the commentary video. Needs to be more concise and have a tighter flow. It's easily got fluff and fat to cut out to make it something more like 4 minutes. Same goes for nicjasno's interview - could easily be a 2 minute interview without losing any of the meat. If you can't do it after countless hours of work, ask someone else to edit the video for you. The end result will be better when it's being made focusing on the product and not your huge ego. I did remind you to take scenery shots to cover awkward edits, where are those?

I can't find the Season 2 review where James May drives his Bentley, but this is a good enough example of tight flow:

Also wondering where all the driveby shots went? I would've liked to see those happening on screen. We spent hours on those, after all.

Last edited:
Like I said they were too samey and would have added an air of repetitiveness to this already overblown and far far too long video, as you would have me believe.

Also, like I told you before, not every video needs to be a super fast torrent of information. If you can't pay attention for 4 minutes, that's your problem. The videos are precisely as long and as fast paced as they were meant to be.

Hey this was a first attempt, slightly rushed due to circumstance and should have been planned better but do bear in mind you can't make champagne TV with a lemonade budget.

Put this into context. A middle aged salesman and a couple of buddies shot this in a day. Are we 100% happy with it? No. Could we have done much better in the circumstances? No. Have we learned anything and will our next effort be considerably better? Hell yes.

And on that note I for one welcome criticism in all its forms. This may turn out to be nothing more than a hobby and at least for me if I am brutally honest a bit of an ego project but as hobbies go it's a fuck sight more fun than collecting stamps. But just like any other hobby you want to get better at it, be that golf or anything else.

Last edited:
I'm all for that, I just don't appreciate criticism that undermines the effort one puts into a project like this, as if it's been done by an untrained ape.

Nobody tried to undermine your effort. And you have to stop taking everything so damn personal.

It is comments that don't praise you, that make you learn for the future.

"You didn't even try, did you?" How am I supposed to take that other than personal?

Put this into context. A middle aged salesman and a couple of buddies shot this in a day. Are we 100% happy with it? No. Could we have done much better in the circumstances? No. Have we learned anything and will our next effort be considerably better? Hell yes.

Well, wait a minute here. You two were arrogantly walking into this project like a couple of hotshots who knew everything.

The forum is full of experts in video shooting. Could you have asked for help? Yes.

Could you have written a script? Yes.

Could you have written a screenplay or any sort of plan of action? Yes.

Could you have scouted for any sort of locations? Yes.

Could you have not wasted everyone's time and money on a day of shooting "samey" shots which end up in the bin? Yes.

Then we have Mr. Big Director with his giant ego being so stubborn and proud to even admit that the end result is as expected: a clusterfuck. You spent countless hours on it? Tough. If it's crap even after spending countless hours on it, it doesn't mean you're above critcism. It means you don't know what you're doing. Grow a fucking pair of balls and man up to it.

Like I said they were too samey and would have added an air of repetitiveness to this already overblown and far far too long video, as you would have me believe.

Also, like I told you before, not every video needs to be a super fast torrent of information. If you can't pay attention for 4 minutes, that's your problem. The videos are precisely as long and as fast paced as they were meant to be.

So the video is as long as it's meant to be, but it's overblown and far far too long? My attention span is not the issue here - the edit is static and lifeless. Tight flow does not mean fast paced. Like I said. Give it to any editor, they'll make it flow better.

Why waste time on filming samey shots if you're not gonna use them?

edit: But since you'll just offer excuse after excuse after excuse, as long as you don't have to admit being wrong or admit being less than perfect, I'm just gonna leave this here. Just don't ever waste my time with this shit again, please.

Last edited:
Wow, impressive how fast this developed into a fracas...

Come on, guys. It's just a video. And you aren't even paid for doing it.

I liked it. I wouldn't say it looked professional but it shows that there is a lot of potential in this. But all parties have to be aware that making it any better will need a hell of a lot more time, money and probably additional personell. I'd personally be utterly satisfied if this level could be held. Because I know I wouldn't have the talent for it - not to mention the patience and industriousness.

But maybe next time you should have your argument before you publish it. That would avoid a confrontation here on the forum, where arguments never end up well...

Last edited:
I've stopped caring. I know where things can get better and how and I don't need a couple of pissants undermining the hard work I put into it, assuming where and how things could have been done differently without even having the tiniest shred of information about how it happened.

I'm done. :)

If I offended you, sorry.

Wow. That escalated. I really hope this doesn't mean it's over.

Well, wait a minute here. You two were arrogantly walking into this project like a couple of hotshots who knew everything.

The forum is full of experts in video shooting. Could you have asked for help? Yes.

Could you have written a script? Yes.

Could you have written a screenplay or any sort of plan of action? Yes.

Could you have scouted for any sort of locations? Yes.

Could you have not wasted everyone's time and money on a day of shooting "samey" shots which end up in the bin? Yes.

Then we have Mr. Big Director with his giant ego being so stubborn and proud to even admit that the end result is as expected: a clusterfuck. You spent countless hours on it? Tough. If it's crap even after spending countless hours on it, it doesn't mean you're above critcism. It means you don't know what you're doing. Grow a fucking pair of balls and man up to it.

So the video is as long as it's meant to be, but it's overblown and far far too long? My attention span is not the issue here - the edit is static and lifeless. Tight flow does not mean fast paced. Like I said. Give it to any editor, they'll make it flow better.

Why waste time on filming samey shots if you're not gonna use them?

edit: But since you'll just offer excuse after excuse after excuse, as long as you don't have to admit being wrong or admit being less than perfect, I'm just gonna leave this here. Just don't ever waste my time with this shit again, please.

Actually I think we have both acknowledged that this was amateur hour and we've never done anything like it before. All of your salient points have already been taken on board and lessons will be learned for future projects so I have no objection to that.

What I do object to is you strolling in here and pissing all over our bonfire. We did what we could with the limits of time, equipment, budget, geography and so much else, we had fun doing it and most people seem to appreciate it. We will do more and they will be better. And at least we fucking tried.

And speaking of better, why don't you get off your arse, round up a whole load of your video experts et al and put your money where your mouth is?

I won't hold my breath. Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. And those who can't do either sit on the sidelines acting like they can do both and criticising everyone else.