Hamster's tricked-out Land Rover, from TG Magazine

Theres a story about it from the company that built it for him

http://www.landrovercentre.com/Friends/Richard_hammond-01.htm

When Richard Hammond approached us in June 2002, he had been requested by a TV company to locate a Land Rover suitable for a castaway-style satellite TV show.

The Land Rover Centre team accepted the challenge and set about locating a suitable donor vehicle and "altering" it as necessary to meet the required specification.

D999RJX-01.jpg

D999RJX-41.jpg

D999RJX-44.jpg

D999RJX-56.jpg

Damn, they couldn't have used a different donor? The ex-fire engine would have been bitchin'. :cry:

*goes on eBay to look for old LR service vehicles*

I've just seen that the episode in which they play darts with cars, when they go down to inspect the second car, they go in Richards Defender. You can see a glimpse of the numberplate as it comes back up.

Damn, they couldn't have used a different donor? The ex-fire engine would have been bitchin'. :cry:

+1

Doesn't make any sense to me either. And he probably paid more for the donor because it was an ex-fire vehicle, then he would have on a regular Defender.

I love the red wheels with the black paint. Too bad the spare tyre cover and diamond plating on the front and running boards ruin it for me. :(

^ Yeah. I would have taken off that plating and refurbished the wheels to make them extra nice!

He looks very small sitting in a big land rover.

I've just seen that the episode in which they play darts with cars, when they go down to inspect the second car, they go in Richards Defender. You can see a glimpse of the numberplate as it comes back up.

Look in the background when Clarkson is making his speech in 9x01 - Road works. :)

I think the reason he chose an ex-fire engine is because they are well looked after. I'm not a fan of fire engines anyway, I prefer it as it is now.

Damn, they couldn't have used a different donor? The ex-fire engine would have been bitchin'.

You're right, and as others say a Fire Engine version would cost more, not only that if he'd kept it as a Fire Engine, then it would be Tax & MOT exempt! But, now its been changed too much it can't be registered as a Fire Engine any more, so he's got to pay tax on it!:rolleyes::?