Looks like the GT-R isn't so great after all...

As an Mechanical Engineer, I know I wouldn't ever design any transmission component for a life of 20 cicles. My take is soddy thinking between the LC engineers and the drivetrain engineers.

And of course if I were to buy a 911 T, and launch it like a maniac 20 times in two months, I'd be looking at a clutch replacement, no a whole transmission job FFS!

Last edited:
You really don't know your own car very well! Yeah, the SVO has a wastegate. How do you think the switch on your dash controlled the boost?

Sorry you are right, I was thinking of a boost relief valve for some reason, as the SVOs don't have one of those. I still hadn't had my coffee yet... ;)

Ferrari's "secret" launch control was actually well publicized as well. Do you hold them responsible for people using it and trashing their gearboxes?

The Nissan's LC isn't secret and it states in the manual how to use it. Ferrari's secret LC isn't in the manual, they tell you to use their dedicated LC program. Why would they include such a thing if they never wanted you to use it? I tried digging up some of this info on FerrariChat but I couldn't find anything.

I have yet to see a case of Nissan voiding warranty just because of deactivation of VDC. Abuse, yes, when it causes damage AND the car's VDC's been turned off leads one to believe the car's been abused despite the owner's claims to the contrary.

The thread I initially posted talks about just that. The dealership told the OP that he voided the warranty as soon as the VDC is deactivated. Apparently the dealership tells you that when you buy the car. My point is, why have that?

Last edited:
Sorry, but I seriously doubt that. Once you get into the thinner air of cars beyond 400 hp, I'm sure you'll see a lot of shattered clutches and gearboxes. Also, I am sure that none of the manufacturers would pay any claims in that matter.

My friend took a Suzuki SX4 awd and did MASSIVE amounts of 5500rpm clutch drops. This is a car with an MSRP of less than $20k.

Regardless, Nissan is selling a car that brags up the launch control features and how fast it is. If they are going to due that, then they should expect people to drive it. The worst part of it is that Nissan has all those computers in it to make it go fast and could also be used to keep parts from braking. Now if the guy had found some hidden mode (like Clarkson on the Ferrari 599 launch control) then I can see voiding the warranty, but he didn't, he used a mode that nissan advertises and brags about.

Something else I find funny is that I can bet GM is nowhere near as bitchy, I've seen them warranty modified cars (where the modifications were obviously a major reason for the failure) and not bat an eye at it. All the more reason ZR1 > GT-R

As an Mechanical Engineer, I know I wouldn't ever design any transmission component for a life of 20 cicles. My take is soddy thinking between the LC engineers and the drivetrain engineers.

Very true. I don't even know why they started putting Launch Control in non-racing cars. This is like building a computer with a OC button on it that makes it work at 6Ghz...but only for 1 minute, you have to turn it off after that if you don't want to break it.

One thing I'd like to add:

Thank god Ferrari still offers manual transmissions with their cars so you have the ability to avoid this kind of bullshit.

One thing I'd like to add:

Thank god Ferrari still offers manual transmissions with their cars so you have the ability to avoid this kind of bullshit.

Amen to that, brother!
That is one of the reasons I love the Koenigseggsandbaconinatoastkjahskjha CCXR and all the Lotuses.

And of course if I were to buy a 911 T, and launch it like a maniac 20 times in two months, I'd be looking at a clutch replacement, no a whole transmission job FFS!

The clutches are IN the transmission on a dual clutch transmission unit and are generally a sealed unit.

The bottom line is that in the States at least, this will end up in the courts, and the owners will win. There's legal precedent that says that you can't void a warranty based on a feature you installed in a product. I can't remember at the moment which case set the precedent, but it's why the US E46M3 got a 1500RPM launch control while the Euro models got 5500RPM.

My friend took a Suzuki SX4 awd and did MASSIVE amounts of 5500rpm clutch drops. This is a car with an MSRP of less than $20k.

Regardless, Nissan is selling a car that brags up the launch control features and how fast it is. If they are going to due that, then they should expect people to drive it. The worst part of it is that Nissan has all those computers in it to make it go fast and could also be used to keep parts from braking. Now if the guy had found some hidden mode (like Clarkson on the Ferrari 599 launch control) then I can see voiding the warranty, but he didn't, he used a mode that nissan advertises and brags about.

Something else I find funny is that I can bet GM is nowhere near as bitchy, I've seen them warranty modified cars (where the modifications were obviously a major reason for the failure) and not bat an eye at it. All the more reason ZR1 > GT-R

I've read that Nissan doesn't really advertise the LC at all and all of the times that they quote for the GT-R were achieved without the LC. Their claimed 0-60mph times are 2 tenths or so slower than what magazines have achieved with the LC. Based on that, it sounds as if Nissan intends the LC to be used only a track and damage to the transmission in that situation might be covered?

I also think its funny that back when Ford first released the '03 Cobra people were doing 5000rpm clutch dumps, snapping IRS and blowing motors yet Ford replaced them all under warranty...

May be hard to understand for a Jaguar lover but I'm not only talking about 20 year old cars here. I'm talking about the current situation of the year 2008. Actually most of the time I talk about what is now and not what has once been ;)

As it happens, though, every car is doomed to break someday. Some do it after 3 years, some after 10, some ofter 20. Even those which are very much taken care of, will some day turn to scrap metal (if they don't end up as exhibition pieces in a museum, that is).

Your Jaguars, too. Welcome to reality :)

Oh, I know Jaguars break. But Porsches break more, at least more than my pair.

In fact, quite amusingly, I got to watch a 2006 911 Carrera 4S get towed away last month. The reason? The Tiptronic wouldn't shift out of first. Ooops. Only 14K on the clock, too.

My father's neighbor recently got rid of his 2004 911 Cabrio (no, I don't know which of the infinite variations it was, other than it was not a turbo) because of electrical problems that the Porsche dealer in SoCal could not fix.

I've seen lots of recent 997s with blown headgaskets (the Jag dealership in Fort Worth is also the Porsche dealer there) . The Boxster is known to overheat and die in Southern US heat. There's lots and lots of problems with Porsches, just like the rest of the VAG product line. Which makes sense, since they share components.

Porsches just aren't as reliable as you make them out to be.

And I only pop up with the anti-euro-snob stuff when some European comes in with UCS and claims a bunch of hooey about how only the Euro makers can have pedigree, and all others can't *possibly* measure up.

Actually, I suspect that that is more of a goodwill thing - they're taking in stuff that clearly *isn't* covered under warranty because of the mass customer flight that they've been having. They want to retain the few customers they have left.

I also think its funny that back when Ford first released the '03 Cobra people were doing 5000rpm clutch dumps, snapping IRS and blowing motors yet Ford replaced them all under warranty...

Except they didn't replace most of them - only a few, and that was supposedly done for goodwill reasons; remember, they'd just gotten over the Cobra intake manifold debacle of a few years prior. They *didn't* replace the sheared off transmission input shafts, for example. And the 4.6 Cobra motor is known to have an oiling problem at the back of the heads, so there's a defect that they were dealing with there, as well.

Last edited:
I've read that Nissan doesn't really advertise the LC at all and all of the times that they quote for the GT-R were achieved without the LC. Their claimed 0-60mph times are 2 tenths or so slower than what magazines have achieved with the LC. Based on that, it sounds as if Nissan intends the LC to be used only a track and damage to the transmission in that situation might be covered?

If that's the case then I think it's just a bad move on Nissan's part. You don't build and hype a car like the GT-R, and not expect people to use one of it's more famed features. Hell realistically I don't think they should have bothered with putting in an launch control system that was going to break the transmission.

Why setup the computers specifically to break the car? Sounds like something GM/Ford/Chrysler would do back in the late 70's and 80's to sell more cars.

Actually, I suspect that that is more of a goodwill thing - they're taking in stuff that clearly *isn't* covered under warranty because of the mass customer flight that they've been having. They want to retain the few customers they have left.

May be so, but they are still warrantying thing. Another point that can be made, people haven taken their z06's to the track in near stock configuration (drag slicks), and repeatedly beat the snot out of their transmissions, clutches, and the rest of the drive-line and I haven't heard of any failures.

IIRC Chrysler also was quite liberal with it's warranty service on the (neon based) SRT-4's.

Neither cars also had to sit at the dealer while waiting for a couple of engineers to come in from Japan to say "gearbox uhhh go boom, no warranty for you!"

Mazda encourages it's customers to race it's cars, offering discount parts to those who can prove they hit up a track at least twice a year. I've talked to quite a few people back when the FD rx7 was still under factory warranty and blew up on the tracks, Mazda didn't bitch (yes, yes, I'm aware of their very well publicized reliability issues).

Why is Nissan's uber car not given extra special treatment on it's warranty program, if nothing else to prevent threads such as this. A car hyped to no bounds like the GT-R is just waiting for people to find it's weakness and go "ha-ha."

Didn't a US magazine have a transmission fail while testing one of the GTRs?
I just wonder if we're seeing the result of a restricted budget set upon the development of the GTR.
It simply might not be as robust as the more expensive cars.
I'd like to see the result of a few laps around the 'ring not for the time but to determine how much the GTR can cope. Is it a one lap wonder?

Didn't a US magazine have a transmission fail while testing one of the GTRs?
I just wonder if we're seeing the result of a restricted budget set upon the development of the GTR.
It simply might not be as robust as the more expensive cars.
I'd like to see the result of a few laps around the 'ring not for the time but to determine how much the GTR can cope. Is it a one lap wonder?

Are you thinking of edmunds long term blog? They had to replace the rear axel or something

i still think nissan would have been better off if they stuck to a conventional manual transmission. they would not be in this mess!!

apparently there are a few GTR's that are having this transmission failure. Nissan fails for not properly taking care of their customers. first time nissan sells a car for over $40,000USD and they cant warranty their problems.

Except they didn't replace most of them - only a few, and that was supposedly done for goodwill reasons; remember, they'd just gotten over the Cobra intake manifold debacle of a few years prior. They *didn't* replace the sheared off transmission input shafts, for example. And the 4.6 Cobra motor is known to have an oiling problem at the back of the heads, so there's a defect that they were dealing with there, as well.

Except they did considering that all of the members on the mustang board I frequent who had issues with their Cobra had them resolved. They didn't even turn off a factory button either.

I mean honestly, it would be like Ford and GM voiding your warranty or denying claims after breaking a part because you broke something when the TC is turned off. How often do you drive with the TC on in your car anyways? That shit sucks!

Last edited:
Yet it doesn't say that it would void the warranty on the driveline. So if the car's under warranty, they aren't saying they won't repair the non-consumables. It's miles and miles from what Nissan is doing.
Is it? After reading that in the BMW manual, do you honestly think that they would give you a new gearbox under warranty when you wreck it through repeated LC starts? Sorry, I absolutely don't see the difference between BMW and Nissan here, I don't see how the Germans would act any different.
Again, why the hostility against Nissan? Cellos also said that they would charge you a new gearbox after you've used LC one single time. I mean what the f*ck? How do you guys know? Sorry, that's just anti-Nissan-bias, nothing else.

You make it sound like 20 times is a lot of times. If you did it once a month, that'd be less than two years. If Nissan didn't want launch control available, they could have easily disabled it. We're not talking about sequences that require plugging anything into the car or altering the ECU programming. And the VDC button? It's not buried in the glove box or behind a number of menus in the whizbang dash system, is it? Doesn't take multiple steps.
Actually, it does:

- You need to set the dampers to "R"(ace)
- You need to set the transmission to "R"(ace)
- You need to set the VDC to off (!!!)
- You need to hold the brakes, floor the throttle and release the brake when the revs remain at 4.500 rpm

Now remember, there is a "R"ace mode for all three available settings. Yet, you need to switch the VDC to off instead of "R" to use launch control, where the manual of the car tells you that you must switch VDC off only under very special circumstances, such as being stuck in snow.

Also, it was this particular car whose transmission gave up after 20 LC starts. That doesn't mean that every GT-R's transmission will give up after that. However, they clearly say that your transmission is in danger when you do repeated LC starts, which is why they did not officially include the function in the first place. I have shown that it's not uncommon in cars, therefore I don't see why Nissan did something wrong here.

The cold hard truth of the matter is that Nissan has released a car that is so fragile that they actually felt the need to carve out a warranty exclusion for it. By definition, they are saying that these features are unusable, but they've left them in as long as they can remove themselves from the liability of doing so. They have explicitly acknowledged that merely the disabling of VDC (their words, not mine -- they didn't say launch control but VDC) under heavy use can rapidly cause major failure.
Yes, it can. And as you should have read before, so it can and will on many other cars from many other manufacturers. Where a lot of powers are involved, things will break. What else is new?

You can try and dance around the terminology all you want, but Nissan has done wrong here. They easily could have modified the VDC behaviour to make it unusable beyond 20% throttle application, for example, if they wanted to achieve the "stated" and very limited use for VDC-disable. No different than vehicles with adjustable ride height that automatically reset to a different setting at different vehicle speeds.
They probably will. The point is that their GT-R seems to be abused by the buyers like no other car, because somehow they think it's the invincible new god of automotive history. It isn't, and everyone who thinks so is an idiot. It's a high-powered sports car that was built on a budget but works well as long as you don't thoroughly abuse it on a regular basis. This guy did, and he paid the price. It has happened with other cars, and it will happen again with other cars. Why on earth is it so special when it happens to this one?

I was told I come across fanboy-ish about the GT-R before. But then, what is a fanboy? Am I an fanboy already when I try to get the actual facts and real knowledge out there? People are being called a fanboy so quickly nowadays. As it seems, there's little interest in a proper discussion with actual facts and comparisons. Honestly, I can understand the defensive stance so many petrolheads have taken against the GT-R, because there was (and is?) this enormous wave of blind faith and actual fanboyism for the car, along with the press hyping the thing like no other. Still, we should be mature enough to be aware of that fact and rely on the actual facts and stats, shouldn't we? We sure can question the GT-R's performance, but then we should be willing to find out why it performs as it does. We sure can question the GT-R's reliabilty, but then we should be willing to find out how reliable similar cars are. I'm all for the truth and nothing but the truth, that's the whole idea. That however incorporates a counterpart that is not simply interested in talking the GT-R down instead of recognising what it can be charged of, but also what it can't. And honestly, I am missing the latter from quite some people here. People who should know better. Sorry for that speech, but I had to say it...

Last edited:
Wow, what a shitstorm!

A car hyped to no bounds like the GT-R is just waiting for people to find it's weakness and go "ha-ha."

People hate the car because of it's "fans", but I've seen just as much misinformation from the detractors I'm starting to wonder who's worse.

It's the Kimbo Slice of the Automotive world and everyone's waiting for Seth Petruzelli.

Wow, what a shitstorm!

People hate the car because of it's "fans", but I've seen just as much misinformation from the detractors I'm starting to wonder who's worse.

It's the Kimbo Slice of the Automotive world and everyone's waiting for Seth Petruzelli.

The only difference with your analogy is, the GTR is actually a good car. Kimbo Slice is a bum.