Z06 motor NOT covered by warranty, if..

Leonidae

It?s kind of common sense, isn?t it? I don?t think you?ll find any manufacturer of a street-vehicle that will replace an engine that was destroyed while on a track.

Indeed.. but isn't Z06 The Track Oriented Corvette?

... it is. But that?s not really the point. It?s still a normal Car that you can drive around everyday ... (don?t know about the legal stuff in the States or else I would have written something about "street legal" ... wich the vette is over here, and a track-car isn?t).

And having read the thread behind the link you posted a bit more, I?ve got to change my opinion about this specific case ... because the guy wasn?t racing or anything like that (at least he says so), they just won?t look at his engine because he was on a track and don?t care what he did there.

But generally ... if you take your car to race it or to a track day, I think it?s clear that the manuf. won?t cover damages even in the time of warranty that occur outside normal road-use ... I remain that this is common sense.

What's next? No warranty if you rev your engine past 4000RPM?

shame... too bad for being honest.

GM can deny what they want...but this sounds like an easy $7500 small claims court judgement (if it were in California) since I doubt any judge will define 'high performance driving' as racing. You never know, but it'd be my next step, if it were my car.

Steve

What an idiot. Why would you ever go "oh, yeah, I was at this track event and my motor blew up, can you replace it for me for free?"

That being said, he's going to have to go higher up in the company if he wants it replaced, which it should be. The knee-jerk reaction of most service people to hearing "performance driving" is to think "you were racing".

Well honestly aren't the LS motors pretty good when it comes to abuse?
I'm sure they are, but when being pushed, it happens that parts of cars which are under stress fail. Also, it happens that the manufacturer will refuse to replace them for free.

And since noone has said it yet, I will: GT-R

Well honestly aren't the LS motors pretty good when it comes to abuse?

This points even more towards a warranty replacement. If an LSx is very good at taking abuse even under extreme circumstances it should clearly point to a problem with this particular engine if it managed to fail under the conditions that it was placed in. By the same token would they refuse warranty to me if I drove on the autobahn or was racing around the Isle of Man? Being on a track doesn't automatically translate into abusive driving.

Not really. Its more like the performance version. I dont recall or remember GM talking about it being a track day car. I mean it does not have a roll cage or harness for belts.

The was dumb for telling the shop it died on the track, I mean how hard would it have been to push the car to the street next to the track.

Next stop for this guy is small claims court.

No car manufacturer will ever cover anything if you make a claim with the statement "_______ broke while on the track." Serves the idiot right for even mentioning it.

Oh Dear, I can almost hear all the GT-R fanboys fapping to this...

What an idiot. Why would you ever go "oh, yeah, I was at this track event and my motor blew up, can you replace it for me for free?"

It's called honesty, try it sometime. :cool:

I feel for the guy, that would suck big time... Even though I'm not a huge fan of the whole "something doesn't go my way I SUE!!!" phylosiphy, I'd probably take this one to court.

It's called honesty, try it sometime. :cool:
Yeah, and look what it got him. Not a new motor, that's for sure.

Note that I'm not advocating warranty fraud. People who commit warranty fraud can burn in hell, because it raises costs for everybody else. What everyone is saying is instead of saying "I was at a HPDE and my motor blew up", say "my motor blew up". Trust me, when they go through that blown motor, they'll determine if you were at fault or not. You really shouldn't give the people who approve or deny your warranty claim any luxury to make assumptions.

Last edited:
If you take your car on the track you have to be ready (financially and mentally) to write the entire car off if necessary. Anything you put into motorsports needs to be considered expendable. Never rely on manufacturer guarantees or anyone's guarantees.

Learning experience, move on.

No car manufacturer will ever cover anything if you make a claim with the statement "_______ broke while on the track." Serves the idiot right for even mentioning it.

Porsche will on certain models.