Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I understand the point of testing sports cars, or even sedans around the 'Ring..... but

http://img205.imageshack.**/img205/7342/56646585.jpg

WHY????

And if the VW Routan was just a "luxury" Dodge Caravan, is this going to be nothing more than a "luxury" Dodge Dakota/Ram (taillights look Dakotaish)? A Competitor to the Lincoln Mark LT perhaps?

Last edited:
I understand the point of testing sports cars, or even sedans around the 'Ring..... but

WHY????

And if the VW Routan was just a "luxury" Dodge Caravan, is this going to be nothing more than a "luxury" Dodge Dakota/Ram? A Competitor to the Lincoln Mark LT perhaps?

You don't want to be able to corner level and flat with a pallet of bricks in the bed? :p

You don't want to be able to corner level and flat with a pallet of bricks in the bed? :p

Where would the fun in that be. Plus, this is a VW, not a Ford F350 Super Duty. I don't see many Cadillac Escalade EXT owners haul around bricks.... or anything for that matter.

Last edited:
Proceed with extreme caution. Make sure you get records and documentation of the swap and find out where they got the engine from.

Check out my "Jaguars..." thread in Post Your Car and see what you think of my plan.

I'll make an exception there, those gauges look brilliant!

I forgot exactly why digital gauges never caught on that much.

Where would the fun in that be. Plus, this is a VW, not a Ford F350 Super Duty. I don't see many Cadillac Escalade EXT owners haul around bricks.... or anything for that matter.

True. People who are going to buy a VW pickup are probably going to at most carry a few flats of flowers or bags of mulch. Probably not a pallet of sod or an old engine or something.

I'll make an exception there, those gauges look brilliant!

I forgot exactly why digital gauges never caught on that much.

Probably because it's easier to gauge the change in something with a dial than with digits. Plus, have you ever used a digital tachometer? They're horrible! :lol:

well... this is not good. some old russian dude driving a Blazer stopped really suddenly while i was looking away for a second and i looked back just in time to slam on the brakes and rear end him. it was a low speed so just a little damage to my toyota and none to his Blazer. he just shrugged and drove off, so no insurance reporting on this one. already called and told the parents. i will post pic whenever i feel like it; damage summary is grill knocked out, some plastic on the bumper shattered, and my lights got pushed out of alignment.

well... this is not good. some old russian dude driving a Blazer stopped really suddenly while i was looking away for a second and i looked back just in time to slam on the brakes and rear end him. it was a low speed so just a little damage to my toyota and none to his Blazer. he just shrugged and drove off, so no insurance reporting on this one. already called and told the parents. i will post pic whenever i feel like it; damage summary is grill knocked out, some plastic on the bumper shattered, and my lights got pushed out of alignment.

at least he wasn't a d*ckwad and report it to the insurance. that would have sucked substantially.

BBC News ? Smart Car Rolls off Slipway

Sandbanks%20Ferry%201%20Sep%2007%20Allan%20Field.jpg

BBC News Dorset UK said:
Car lost at sea after ferry slip
Page last updated at 11:54 GMT, Tuesday, 21 April 2009 12:54 UK

An absent minded driver was left red-faced when his car rolled off a ferry slipway and into the sea in Dorset.

Emergency services were alerted when passers-by saw a partially submerged car at Sandbanks, Poole, at 0812 BST.

When a lifeboat crew arrived they were met by the driver of the Smart car coupe who had left his vehicle on the slipway before wandering off.

The man said he had used the handbrake, and confirmed to police no one was in the car. The car has not been found.

Lifeboats could not to locate the vehicle, and believe it was swept out to sea.

Partially submerged

A lifeboat spokeswoman said the car had entered the water from the north side of the chain-ferry crossing at Sandbanks which links Poole with Studland.

"A volunteer crew arrived on scene expecting the worse preparing to search for a body when the driver of the car appeared on the chain ferry slip way.

"It appears he left the car to go to the shop or loo and the car rolled into the water," she added.

Dorset Police were alerted when the partially submerged vehicle was spotted floating past the Haven Hotel in Poole.

Sorry, but I had to laugh at this.:lol:

(No Black Stig, references pls :p)

Last edited:
at least he wasn't a d*ckwad and report it to the insurance. that would have sucked substantially.
yeah that is very true. i am thinking of filing a police report in case he claims hit and eun on me, but i dont know if that would force me to report it to insurance or not. suggestions?

WHY????

And if the VW Routan was just a "luxury" Dodge Caravan, is this going to be nothing more than a "luxury" Dodge Dakota/Ram (taillights look Dakotaish)? A Competitor to the Lincoln Mark LT perhaps?

Actually this is a good idea, because VW has a tardy fanbase. I know people who had to buy a truck for work or something and wished they could of bought another VW.

yeah that is very true. i am thinking of filing a police report in case he claims hit and eun on me, but i dont know if that would force me to report it to insurance or not. suggestions?

I personally would not bother, but others may be more wise

he might have not had a license, had a warrant, ect ect ect...

^ I've noticed that about Jetta interiors - my friend has one the same year and hers is falling apart, all the trim pieces are loose and coming off, it's filthy as hell and most annoyingly, the pop-out cupholders are jammed (which may or may not have been my fault :blush:). :x

These aren't Mexican-made, so this is all due to neglect :p

Boras usually go for 6500 euro, btw.

The guy says the belt is on the hood only to tie the excess belt somewhere, so it's not holding anything down :)

Apparently the trunk won't stay shut by itself, though, on those first pics.