How many hands do you use to drive

How many hands do you use to drive

• Total voters
Generally 2 hands when driving, and one hand when manoevering. Palming it is so much faster to turn the wheel from lock to lock. In the rare event I'm cruising I also use only one hand, but generally, I'm not really that much in a cruising mood.

I pretty much always drive with both hands, or one hand if I'm on the motorway. But mainly, I'm just posting to say how much I loved the 'tape my face to the wheel' option.

When cruising - generally 1 hand (left one), at 9 o'clock or 11 o'clock, with elbow on door's armrest. Right hand resting on the right side of the seat. Never used central armrest, it hinders gear changing (I have long arms).This is valid pretty much everywhere when not going fast or on very easy bends when I am well far from the car limit.

When driving fast, driving accurately, taking a bend at interesting speed, or simply on bendy roads - both hands, at 9-3 o'clock. I try to keep this position as much as I can, even through tight bends; I sometimes find myself with crossed arms while turning, and if I have to move my hands, I take the lower one off the wheel and up to the top, crossing the other. That is what I do while parking too.

Fast driving this way is, for me, much much more rewarding than with hands in every other configuration.

But I managed to drive with my knees. in fact, last year I drove for several kms with knees only on a French highway (it was a test, so hands were there, ready to pick the wheel)

Not that fun after a while, though.

Last edited:
I drive with both hands most of the time, except when I'm coasting. Every time there is a turn - i use both hands to turn the wheel.

Interesting thing about "underhanding" the wheel...I remember my driving instructor telling me four years ago that the proper hand position is no longer 10-2, but it is 4-8. The reason is - in case you crash, the airbag will deploy properly slamming only your face and not hitting your arms off the steering wheel.
Maybe it's just gobbledygook...

I drive with both hands most of the time, except when I'm coasting. Every time there is a turn - i use both hands to turn the wheel.

Interesting thing about "underhanding" the wheel...I remember my driving instructor telling me four years ago that the proper hand position is no longer 10-2, but it is 4-8. The reason is - in case you crash, the airbag will deploy properly slamming only your face and not hitting your arms off the steering wheel.

I went to some test-days on tracks. You know, the kind of events where some car manufacturer let normal people (potential customers) drive some car on a track for free (one lap only, though). Before the real "test" begins, a safety driving instructor, usually a race driver of some sort, explains the basics of safe and correct driving. Every one of them has always told the right position is 9-3. Right in the sense that it is the best position to avoid a crash, so the best position to avoid the airbag to be deployed in the first place.

And it is true, in my experience: 9-3, seat position not too far from the wheel, backrest more vertical than horizontal, never keep arms or legs stretched, for better wheel grip and to avoid injuries in case of crash. And always two hands on the wheel, always on the outer side.

Just like Jason and Tiff do on their shoot-outs...

This is what they say, this is what I found out to be working fine.

Last edited:
I use one hand to drive a manual car. It's either on the steering wheel, or on the shift knob. My left is always hanging out the drivers window, like a true italian should.

It's gobbledygook - 9 & 3, 10 & 2, either one is perfectly compatible with airbag deployment, your arms will not be blown off the wheel.

either....

right hand at 2-3 (just above the horn buttons) with elbow resting on the door, left hand on the gear stick...just resting

or

just using one hand at the bottom of the wheel just to keep it straight.

only ever use 2 hands when hooning it around on country roads.

In town and in twisty stuff I tend to use two hands at the quarter to three position, but on straight A and B-roads and when cruising I hold the wheel Rig-Stig style, with the left hand on my left knee, right elbow on the door and right hand holding the wheel.
Tried one-fingered a few times but it's not very comfortable, plus a poor idea when one doesn't have power steering.

basically what otispunkmeyer said.

Last edited:
both hands, at 9-3 o'clock. I try to keep this position as much as I can, even through tight bends; I sometimes find myself with crossed arms while turning, and if I have to move my hands, I take the lower one off the wheel and up to the top, crossing the other.
That's how I do it as well: hands at 9 and 3, shift quickly with the right hand and immediately back to 3 o'clock again, and repeat. :)

In daily driving I usually short shift from 1-2-3 (maybe 4th) to 6th gear at 4k to 5k revs.
Also I heel-toe, and double clutch downshift which doesn't really serve any real purpose in daily driving, but it's just fun to do. :)

Last edited:
One handed, unless traffic gets bad, then it's two.

Continuing with the notes on airbags etc, when I have one hand on the wheel, it is usually about 3 'o' clock. I can't hold onto the top as the wheel is too big :p

I guess it does really depend on what car and where you're driving.

Recently though I've been noticing that I've tended to start doing some 2 handed turns with 1 hand, and some 1 handed turns with my finger :blink:

As someone has also mentioned I also sometimes tend to put my hands on the bottom of the steering wheel when I don't have many curves to navigate around.

Two hands, 9 & 3. Right hand only comes off to shift, and then right back to the wheel (unless I'm driving an RHD car, which does happen a few times a year). And no shuffling is necessary, unless you're turning into a parking space.

You position your seat so that when you stretch out your arms, your wrists sit on top of the wheel. That way, with your hands at 9 & 3, you're using your shoulder muscles to turn the wheel, and not your arms so much. You get smoother turn-ins and keep the car balanced better.

This is what my track instructor taught me when I started racing in '88, and it's what I've been teaching to my track students since '93. And it works very well on the street. You don't have to reach for the wheel when something happens. Your reactions are quicker, your movements are smoother, you don't panic and you have an easier time keeping control of the car.

I guess it really depends on a variety of factors.

When I'm up to cruising speed (since I drive a manual), if I'm just cruising along in a familiar place, I usually have one hand on the wheel and one out the window until I perceive another gear change. This is because when it's really hot out, since my car's A/C doesn't work, having a hand out the window makes the "Holy shit it's hot in here" feeling go away.

If I'm on the interstate or 55+ roads, an unfamiliar road, in bad road conditions, etc, I have both hands on the wheel.

I can't stand using drive-thrus so I rarely eat while driving either.

I went to some test-days on tracks. You know, the kind of events where some car manufacturer let normal people (potential customers) drive some car on a track for free (one lap only, though). Before the real "test" begins, a safety driving instructor, usually a race driver of some sort, explains the basics of safe and correct driving. Every one of them has always told the right position is 9-3. Right in the sense that it is the best position to avoid a crash, so the best position to avoid the airbag to be deployed in the first place.

And it is true, in my experience: 9-3, seat position not too far from the wheel, backrest more vertical than horizontal, never keep arms or legs stretched, for better wheel grip and to avoid injuries in case of crash. And always two hands on the wheel, always on the outer side.

It's usually also where the indicator/light stalks are located, within a finger's reach of the 9-3.

That is also what I learned both from driver training and a bit of own experience: 9-3 position is best when driving fast or at a difficult track, allowing for instant turning reaction when needed. In normal driving it is better too, and I prefer it, but in slow city I tend to subconsciously switch to driving with one hand: right hand around 3 with elbow on the middle arm rest, left arm on the door arm rest (sometimes also touching the wheel around 8-9) - relaxing when driving straight ahead, be it a slow city drive or smooth autobahn cruise. The position worked itself out in me comfortable Audi :) Easily switched to 9-3 when maneuvering is needed.

I always position my hands 9-3, thumbs on the wheel when serious steering input is required. When it's mostly straight line driving I generally position my hands on my lap, holding the bottom part of the wheel (possible because of the ridiculously low steering wheel position in my car).

Always two, at 9 and 3, unless I'm dancing to The Bamboos, then it's one, swapping between left and right while the other makes wild dance moves.