Kei Cars: why not bringing them to Europe?

Pedrocas

9gag reposting troll
Car(s)
Citroen ZX 1.4i Tonic
Kei Cars: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kei_car

I just loooOOOooove Kei Cars. Those small boxy japanese cars are so cute and loveable and funny and awesome. They somewhat bring happiness wherever they drive by. Being Europe the continent of small economic cars, why not bringing Kei Cars to this part of the globe? Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, Suzuki, what are you waiting for? Start importing some kei cars, please. :cool:

What do you say?

Last edited:
I press the link, and the first thing I see is a Suzuki Wagon R, which is one of the most horrid cars ever made.

I do not approve.. :D

However, something like the Daihatsu Copen is quite cute - though I wouldn't drive one :p

if i recall K-cars have been sold in the UK for quite some time now, go and pick one up

I guess the reason is that the design is just too affected by the japanese restrictions and the lack of similar restrictions in Europe allows for the sale of cars with less awkward and more practical proportions and engines.

Cappuccinos are sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.... always see them red.
There is a Honda Beat knocking around town.

I always thought the ones found in the UK like the Wagon R, Copen, Cappucino etc. were sold across Europe too.

Does seem odd as there is just as big, if not bigger markets for tiny little cars in other countries.

We're not pushed for space in Europe like Japan is, so people don't feel the need to buy tiny cars (why do you think people buy SUVs?). They just wouldn't sell. I have to admit though that the little van is awesome. :D

The Kei cars are designed/built to certain restrictions. Though I think they're great, especially the old Autozam AZ-1, Honda Beat and Suzuki Cappuccino, you could always buy something a little larger and little more powerful without spending much more.

Ah yes, but it would be nice to see them sold both at home and on the continent as alternatives to the "green" crap currently being sold.

I guess the reason is that the design is just too affected by the japanese restrictions and the lack of similar restrictions in Europe allows for the sale of cars with less awkward and more practical proportions and engines.

This is true. Plus a lot of them probably wouldn't pass European safety regulations.

A small number have enough appeal to make it, like the Cappuccino and the Copen, the rest are eclipsed by regular micro segment offerings.

Yellow...

I8htkdtx.jpeg

Last edited:
^katwalk ?crisis? in 3...2...1...

I see those running around vacouver quite often. Someone imports them here.

I see loads of Kei-Cars where i live, and im in a rural area. Maily see those Wagon R's. Seen a few of those VW Mini Campers, which are actually called the Subaru Sambar.

I have seen several of those Nissan Figaro's on the road, i assume they are Kei-Cars. They seem popular because of the Trendy Retro looks, and the fact that celebrities have them.