No 56k: My supercharged BMW E46

You would have also had to start off with a lot more money.

Right now an E46 M3 is around 20K on average, that's just about what I paid for my A4 2 years ago (depreciation fucked me hard what can I say) so yes more money but hardly impossible for anyone of average income.

Right now an E46 M3 is around 20K on average, that's just about what I paid for my A4 2 years ago (depreciation fucked me hard what can I say) so yes more money but hardly impossible for anyone of average income.

But similar mileage non-M 3-series can go for half that.

no one asked me to provide proof when I posted my corolla :p

There must have been some mistake, now you've lost all credibility until you can provide proof.

no one asked me to provide proof when I posted my corolla :p

That's because it's so unlikely you could afford such a nice car that we didn't even bother to give you a chance to prove it. :p

But you start with a much better car.

Supercharging a highly-strung N/A engine with high compression and variable valve timing either leads to a blown engine, or a car where you'd first have to lower the compression, and once you have the forced induction you'd end up with an engine with negligible gains from the variable valve timing. By that point, you'd have been better off starting with the base engine. BTW, where's the thread starter? He seems to have disappeared.

Word - The thread starter ditched us...
I knew the M3 had a N/A I-6, but with variable valve timing also? Then that makes the 800-hp Active Autowerke M3 even more amazing, granted that it hasn't blown up yet.

I say next time somebody makes a post like this, we FIRST respond with

"WAW MAN SO COOL LA"

And AFTER he responds with a

"YAH MAN SO COOL LA"

we start questioning.

Supercharging a highly-strung N/A engine with high compression and variable valve timing either leads to a blown engine, or a car where you'd first have to lower the compression, and once you have the forced induction you'd end up with an engine with negligible gains from the variable valve timing. By that point, you'd have been better off starting with the base engine. BTW, where's the thread starter? He seems to have disappeared.

Who cares when it sounds like this:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qju9iEFqp3Y&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Anyway, I think it's safe to say that the thread starter was full of shit.

They do lower the compression for FI setups on E46 M3s but the gains are well worth it. Or you can go the HPF turbo way and make 800hp :mrgreen:

There are supercharger kits for the M3 not to mention that an M3 wouldn't really need one stock :D

Yeah, but I bet that those supercharger kids run fairly low boost for a performance car. I agree that the M3 doesn't really need one; if a guy wants a performance BMW, an M3 is more than enough. Anyway, our mysterious BMW owner still hasn't come back.

o_rly-ya-rly.jpg

I don't believe it's yours.

.. shit.

What you guys dont understand is these cars are a LOT cheaper in the US than in europe or elsewhere in the world. It's pretty easy for kids who take bank loans or with the help of rich parents buy these kinds of cars. Not all american kids run around in BMWs, but in bigger cities its very common. Plus lots of wealthy foreign students studying abroad in the US also tend to roll around in nice cars because they are so incredibly cheap here compared to in their home markets.

This is really nothing unusual.

Yeah, but I bet that those supercharger kids run fairly low boost for a performance car. I agree that the M3 doesn't really need one; if a guy wants a performance BMW, an M3 is more than enough. Anyway, our mysterious BMW owner still hasn't come back.

Even low boost supercharger (and IMO they only make sense at low boost anyway) would give more than enough power boost.

Other than engine though the M3 is a better chassis as far as handling and balance goes to begin with so you would see more return for your work.

Anyway we digress, strange that the owner has yet to post anything but also this isn't exactly an impossible to attain car (or one that is all that pricey) so I will give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

What you guys dont understand is these cars are a LOT cheaper in the US than in europe or elsewhere in the world. It's pretty easy for kids who take bank loans or with the help of rich parents buy these kinds of cars. Not all american kids run around in BMWs, but in bigger cities its very common. Plus lots of wealthy foreign students studying abroad in the US also tend to roll around in nice cars because they are so incredibly cheap here compared to in their home markets.

This is really nothing unusual.

QFT.