Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Maybe, but to me a WRX with a better interior and that front end sounds good. It's not like it was some sort of technical disaster compared with a regular WRX

Nobody's saying the car was bad; quite the reverse, in fact. It's a WRX with a real interior and a less controversial nose.

It's just that the ideas that created the car were terrible, as was the marketing and positioning of the car.

It looks like one of my "can do it all" car that i would like to own when i reproduce little sifus to the world.

The Toyota MR2 Spyder is geared so that it hits 3k RPM at 60 MPH and 4k at 80 MPH. Not sure if I can deal with that in an only car...its predecessor at least had cruise control and a little cargo capacity.

Speaking of MR2, I'm wondering if this might be a good next car:

url

Yes, it has no boot, but I intend on keeping the Echo besides it. Thoughts?

Yes. Built in the same factory side by side. The main difference is the SAABs got a better interior and exterior. There are some minor suspension differences but nothing major.

I had no idea.

Speaking of MR2, I'm wondering if this might be a good next car:

url

Yes, it has no boot, but I intend on keeping the Echo besides it. Thoughts?

You can always get an MG F, which has a boot.

Do you guys have trouble with your hands smelling of fuel when you take the cap off? Why is Ford advertising a new "capless tank" as being some kind of miracle invention? That's definitely a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Do you guys have trouble with your hands smelling of fuel when you take the cap off? Why is Ford advertising a new "capless tank" as being some kind of miracle invention? That's definitely a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

The capless thing is, I think, one of those really simple, why-didn't-anyone-think-of-this-earlier deals - the cap is integrated into the fuel flap, so you can't lose the cap and it's convenient - a win-win.

It's a good invention for those times you see someone driving around with the fuel cap hanging out the open fuel door. Mostly useless, but those few times it's useful, it's actually useful.

Or because the man puts it on wrong occasionally and then the car bongs at you.

Gas is 10? cheaper if you stay in the car for some reason. :dunno:

See, forgetting to put the cap on is a reason I'll buy. Having your hands smell like gas like in the commercial? That's stupid!

It looks like one of my "can do it all" car that i would like to own when i reproduce little sifus to the world.

Unfortunately I don't think they were sold here?

The capless thing is, I think, one of those really simple, why-didn't-anyone-think-of-this-earlier deals - the cap is integrated into the fuel flap, so you can't lose the cap and it's convenient - a win-win.

Actually, it's something from the racing world, and it's an encouraging thing to see it in production. The more reliable racing technology gets brought to the street, the better - and it's yet another sign that Ford's getting serious about their products.

My Series III was designed by the men who went to LeMans and ended up pretty much owning the place through the 50s, who came up with the E-type that ended up destroying pretty much everyone else in 60s road races, and invented a reliable street V12 at the same time Mercedes was proudly presenting their all new V8 - with a little help from Pininfarina. So, when these racers decided to build a sedan, they didn't forget where they came from - so they filled the 1968 XJ with the current racing tech of the time, including the then-state-of-the-art racing style filler caps. If unlocked, they pop open at a touch of the button and they don't come off.

12_18_06_2240.jpg

At the end of 'high volume' production in 1987, the XJ still contained some features rarely seen on cars of the time. Putting racing tech in your cars yields dividends far beyond the ability to market it as such.

I never understood why more makers didn't incorporate racing filler caps of some kind. Probably they decided it cost too much or something idiotic like that. As much as I have some bones to pick with Ford, they do have a long racing heritage and they should not only be proud of it, they should use it. Importing racing tech to use on their volume street cars is a great way to get a leg up on the competition since most of the competition doesn't bother - something that was true in 1968 with the XJ and is still true now.

Last edited:
^yes but you need two pumps (or one pump twice) to fill the thing.
Also fuel is not exactly cheap anymore :p

My car has a cap thingy. It needs "smelly" diesel too. Yet not once have I thought, ooh now my hands stink of diesel, wish I had a "racing" fuel cap.

I have to admit that I do like the smell of regular gas though.