Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

500x_Dunkel_Industries.jpg

Battle cruiser on wheels.

motherofgod.jpg

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd7efSaGRps&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

Why does everyone speed up when I'm about to merge into their lane? It saddens me.
Also found a really neat shortcut to work that saves me about 10 minutes of dreary traffic jams, and replaces it with a really bad bumpy road, full of sand and ruts and all sorts of crap. feels like I'm offroading the little Astra.

Now I have arrived at work and my car is absolutely filthy from driving there :lol:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd7efSaGRps&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2009/11/04/2824685.jpg

YO DAWG...

2 more randoms from me.

1) I think people with cool licence plates should only be allowed said plates if they own a car.
Over here our licence plates are 3 letters/3 numbers ABC-123 (and since they ran out of possible plates, now they're doing 123-ABC, but whatever), which gives you a lot of cool combinations. However, I did not expect to see AMG - 500 on an Opel Corsa 1.2 :lol: It just seemed wrong

2) why do people insist on getting home made foils for their tinted windows. it looks shit, and you're broadcasting to everyone you're a cheapskate. It makes me angry to see this

Well, since there isn't a thread for building things, I'll post it here...

I'm building a car seat sofa (using the rear bench seat) like the one you see on TG when the guys have the news section. Has anyone tried building it before? What will I need other than the car seat, some metal frames, and welding skills?

Well, since there isn't a thread for building things, I'll post it here...

I'm building a car seat sofa (using the rear bench seat) like the one you see on TG when the guys have the news section. Has anyone tried building it before? What will I need other than the car seat, some metal frames, and welding skills?

I've built a couple over the years. Currently working on some X308 seats as office chairs.

You'll need the car seat, some metal for framing and a welder of the appropriate type for the metals concerned plus some skill. You'll also want some furniture "feet" so your new sofa doesn't rip up the floor, and if your seat has electric functions you'll want to figure out how to wire a 12V power supply to it. You'll also want a welding blanket to keep the seat from going on fire while you weld the frame.

I've been thinking about $10-15k cars and had some interesting ideas.

-GTO: Thought I'd mention this one first. I love the GTO but I want something small and nimble.

-MkIV VW R32: Great car; I'd love to have one, but good ones are close to $20k still! You can find them for around $15k but those are high-mileage examples.

-MkV GTI: Surprisingly enough, cheaper than the older R32. These can be found for around $15k nowadays. I love the GTI but the lack of an LSD is a huge turn-off. My friend has a chipped one and traction is poor - ESP on and you get horrible wheel hop; ESP off and it just spins a tire.

-Mini S: Love these little things! Small, nimble, LSD... but the interior is hideous, imho. I couldn't stand the weird layout and design.

-WRX: One of my favorite cars really. However, I know that if I got one I'd start modding right away and after seeing some friends screw up their Subarus, I'm a little wary of them, to be honest.

-RX8: Awesome cars, but no torque.

Then it hit me... Mazdaspeed3. 263hp? Check. 280lbft? Check. LSD? Check. Good interior and exterior? Check. Jap reliability? Check. Manual? Only option offered. Turbo? Check. Mod potential if I ever want to go faster? Check. Good handling? Check. Hmm...

Hmm, have you given up on the Miata dream, or an S2000 or MR2 Spyder?

-GTO: Thought I'd mention this one first. I love the GTO but I want something small and nimble.

-MkIV VW R32: Great car; I'd love to have one, but good ones are close to $20k still! You can find them for around $15k but those are high-mileage examples.

-MkV GTI: Surprisingly enough, cheaper than the older R32. These can be found for around $15k nowadays. I love the GTI but the lack of an LSD is a huge turn-off. My friend has a chipped one and traction is poor - ESP on and you get horrible wheel hop; ESP off and it just spins a tire.

-Mini S: Love these little things! Small, nimble, LSD... but the interior is hideous, imho. I couldn't stand the weird layout and design.

-WRX: One of my favorite cars really. However, I know that if I got one I'd start modding right away and after seeing some friends screw up their Subarus, I'm a little wary of them, to be honest.

Then it hit me... Mazdaspeed3. 263hp? Check. 280lbft? Check. LSD? Check. Good interior and exterior? Check. Jap reliability? Check. Manual? Only option offered. Turbo? Check. Mod potential if I ever want to go faster? Check. Good handling? Check. Hmm...

How about the MazdaSpeed 6? All the same things, but with AWD, a bit more power, and a nicer body. I think you can find some on that price range.

MS3 is still a fine choice, however.

I'd go for the GTO. It already has 400 usable horse power. The problem with the MazdaSpeed 3 is that that 260hp and 280lbft of torque is not used off the line. The computer will limit it so you don't torquesteer into a tree.

Hmm, have you given up on the Miata dream, or an S2000 or MR2 Spyder?

Well, my car is for sale. If someone bites then I'll get a Miata. Otherwise I'm going to wait a year till I graduate and then up my budget. In the latter case, the Miata will have to wait until I can afford to have a project car and then its LS1MX5 tiem!

best options in bold. Also, me very jealous you can get any of those for 10-15k$... even a GTI Golf is 20k+, and thats in Euro monies which are worth a lot more!

Hell, for $15000 I'd be buying an Alfa 1750 GTV. But that's just me :mrgreen: Practicality and reliability be damned!

Pretty much how I've approached car buying from the start

Well, my car is for sale. If someone bites then I'll get a Miata. Otherwise I'm going to wait a year till I graduate and then up my budget. In the latter case, the Miata will have to wait until I can afford to have a project car and then its LS1MX5 tiem!

Or get this: http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/1448696823.html
I'm tempted, but I'd have to sell my Jag first, plus it's closer to you.

I fear I may be repeating myself, but torque is overrated :p

RX-8 isn't actually that small but it's quite nimble and I love the interior. And you can definitely get a good one for $15k. A very good one. Maybe even a fully loaded 2006 with 30k miles. :shifty:

Last edited:
I fear I may be repeating myself, but torque is overrated :p

Its just personal preference. On a track I'd probably prefer a car with less torque but one that I can rev to the moon. On the street its all about torque :cool:

You might also want to consider a SAAB 9-2X Aero. It's essentially a "luxury" trim WRX.