The "critique my shot" thread

^ I like it, although the building is pretty dark and I'd get a little more of the sky in it.

Here's one of my first sepia attempts:
IMG_7234.jpg

The golf feels to surgically white in the shot where dark colours dominate.

If anyone has some free time I could do with some C&C on my flickr please, link in my sig :)
Man, don't be lazy, post a shot :). To take a look through your work on flickr and critique it is pretty tough. Plus, to write an oppinion on another photographer's work takes time and can't be written in 5 mins where as for a single shot you can. Choose a shot you're not sure about (or just one you want to get some feedback on) and post it.

And about Level's golf the only ting I can say is that it's a real pain in the ass to work with a white car when the scene is dark. You should have done some HDR (or exposure bracketing). Try spot metering the car and take 3 shots with the exposure compensation at -1 0 and +1 (or do more photos with other exposure compensations). Just merge the shots afterwards.

Last edited:
^ I think this was my first time shooting a white car (and also a black truck actually) in a location that was dark with bright white snow patches and it proved to be a real pain. Couldn't do HDR because I didn't have my tripod but I did play around with shadows/highlights a bit; eg:

IMG_7063.jpg

^I quite like it although normally I find selective B&W fake artsy crap. In your case it works well actually. What upsets me is the roof line (or whatever that is) in the top right corner. It isn't straight and that upsets the balance of the scene.

Don't think that works any better than normal B&W would, I'm not sure if it brings anything. The tilt also makes the picture look a bit messy, like you are on a boat.

^ Rules say you should have waited until my photo got an opinion/criticism. :|

Although it doesn't really make much difference, this thread and the photos here seem to be getting completely ignored. :(

Although it doesn't really make much difference, this thread and the photos here seem to be getting completely ignored. :(
What you're saying is unfortunately true, people seem not to care about it although I hoped it would be a good idea at first, and I can't critique all the shots myself as you need a bit of thinking time for each photo.

To be honest, the last few shots look like snapshots to me.

None of them have a clear centre of interest and the lighting is poor.

Sorry if I'm being too harsh, just my honest opinion.

If you want more people to participate I'd cut back on the thread rules and see what happens. Sometimes you get photographs that aren't bad but aren't interesting or inspiring either, these can be very hard to comment on so a lot of people will leave the thread to die instead.

If you want more people to participate I'd cut back on the thread rules and see what happens. Sometimes you get photographs that aren't bad but aren't interesting or inspiring either, these can be very hard to comment on so a lot of people will leave the thread to die instead.
But then it would be full of pictures.

https://pic.armedcats.net/r/re/renaultfan/2010/02/09/workerscol.jpg

Any learned opinions on this one?

I don't know about learned but I agree that it just looks like a snapshot. I don't see the composition. Maybe if you were zoomed in on one of the skiers with a shallow depth of field I could understand but its hard to see what the guys are doing. My opinion only.

P2154803.jpg

Hopefully I'm posting in the right thread. Any one like?

I hate taking shots at car shows(but do it every year none the less). I think what you need at this point is a good flash as the crappy fluorescent lights are underexposing your grill and SS badge. Its really hard to get right I know.

hope it helps.

I don't know about learned but I agree that it just looks like a snapshot. I don't see the composition. Maybe if you were zoomed in on one of the skiers with a shallow depth of field I could understand but its hard to see what the guys are doing. My opinion only.

A nitpicky thing... they're not skiers.