The "critique my shot" thread

I posted this earlier in the Lens Flair thread, and upon having recently discovered this one, I figured I'd see what FG photographers think about it.

photo-23.jpg

I posted this earlier in the Lens Flair thread, and upon having recently discovered this one, I figured I'd see what FG photographers think about it.

photo-23.jpg

love the composition just wish it'd been taken with a better camera. colors could use a bit of work and contrast too but you've got a reasonable shot in my mind.

Thanks. I thought it was great too.

I just snapped it with my iPhone (hence the crappy quality) while I was hunting this weekend with my friends. It's oddly been sawed completely in half, frame still intact, exhaust and a hub cap are strewn about. It had 60k on the odo.

ALXBWSCREW, I like that but the foreground is a little dark, it would be nice to see what it would look like if you lightened it up a bit. Having said that there appears to be some kind of plastic sheeting in the middle and to the left of the frame, if you did lighten the foreground that would probably show up more. It's always hard to get the exposure right on reflections because although they appear to be equally bright, the reflection is actually quite a lot darker.

evoWALO, that looks like a nice shot but it's been sharpened to hell and back again I think that is what is causing the oddities. The grass in the background almost looks like a pixelated painting and seems to me to be over-saturated too. I'm not sure if all of this is from heavy cropping or post processing. Unfortunately the link you provided doesn't seem to work for me so I can't see the original. I don't think it's a bad photograph at all, I just disagree with the editing.

@evoWalo: link not working for me either. That's a stunning shot IMO, just a bit of wrong PP.

@Dr_Q: I completely agree but I have already made the foreground lighter so increasing the brightness will bring some ugly noise.

evoWALO, that looks like a nice shot but it's been sharpened to hell and back again I think that is what is causing the oddities. The grass in the background almost looks like a pixelated painting and seems to me to be over-saturated too. I'm not sure if all of this is from heavy cropping or post processing. Unfortunately the link you provided doesn't seem to work for me so I can't see the original. I don't think it's a bad photograph at all, I just disagree with the editing.

Its not really over saturated, it gives it a very film like apparence.

If anything film is generally less saturated than digital, with the exception perhaps of velvia. I can't think of a film that would render the colours anything like that.

evoWALO, I've had a go on the original and made a few adjustments and tweaks, it's very different from your version so I'm not at all sure if you will agree with any of the changes. I decided to crop it this way because although I really like the splash, I think it was dominating the frame too much and my eye was automatically going to the splash and not the bird. I also included a little more foreground to give it some perspective. It's still a little too saturated for my tastes, particularly when viewed with a browser (it's a little better in PhotoShop).

https://pic.armedcats.net/d/dr/dr_q/2010/03/09/evoWALO_Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Dr_Q Many thank you for taking the time to 're-mix' my work. I saw what you did on my other browser Safari and saw what you wanted to show. The bird is just there for the 'wow' factor to get a higher rating. ;) The splash being is actually the theme hence the it being at the 'power points'.

Honest to goodness I think the judges are just so sick of seeing the same old subject all the time that anything different yet within theme gets higher points.

How about the photo below?

4420265840_a0cfd243e5_b.jpg

I changed the aspect ratio to 2.39:1. That aspect ratio is the traditional in cinema.

Last edited:
Ah, sorry I always thought it was for the bird. I like what you've done there my only criticisms are that the crop is a little too tight at the bottom, the reflection of the flower is just about squashed in. The exposure on the bird is just perfect the way it is but the water looks a little dark (maybe it's just me). I really like the idea for a cinematic crop, it definitely suits this photograph far better than my photographic crops!

Dr_Q thanks again for the critique. I incorporated your suggestions about the bottom being a bit tight.

4420589624_d928f63916.jpg

Theme is 'droplets'.

Does it work?

The black bars is there because the print will be 8x12 and the foreground was distracting so crop out.

So, I've been browsing through some old shots and I came across this. I'd be interested to see what anyone thinks of it.

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/ne/nereid/2010/03/09/DSC_03398.jpg

I think its quite nice, but the clouds don't help. I like the effect with the trees and mountain itself, but the clouds either need to be worked out, or more clearly defined (not by HDR Radioactivity) rather than grey bleh.

Cool, thanks for the input! I had a go at defining the clouds a bit more but I found it a bit tricky to do so without the jpeg compression showing though. :(

Dr_Q thanks again for the critique. I incorporated your suggestions about the bottom being a bit tight.

Theme is 'droplets'.

Does it work?

The black bars is there because the print will be 8x12 and the foreground was distracting so crop out.

Yes, that's perfect, it should look great in print.

So, I've been browsing through some old shots and I came across this. I'd be interested to see what anyone thinks of it.

I like that although the area in shadow at the bottom left is distracting. If you can lighten that beyond pure black you could probably make a pretty nice moody black and white image.

Last edited:
https://pic.armedcats.net/n/ne/nereid/2010/03/09/DSC_0339b.jpg

:think: