Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Can anyone explain to me what the point is of this Volvo ad

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTQ4Mjk2NjQ4.html

Srsly? Volvo owners like wife swapping? Volvo drivers are idiots who don't recognize their wives? And what does the ad have to do with it being a convertible?
Also, the shitty music isn't helping

It's driving me mad! Because they have this ad in EVERY adbreak nowadays...

This guy bashes the Toyota Matrix, and then recommends a Prius. :rofl:

2009 Toyota Matrix Review
By Justin Berkowitz on February 29, 2008

Do you know how many Matrices Toyota sold in the United States last year? That?s not a rhetorical question; I have no idea. Toyota rolls the number into Corolla sales. No surprise there. The Matrix shares its underpinnings with the Corolla? and the Pontiac Vibe (same car, different wrapper). Even if the Matrix accounts for a fraction of Corolla sales, a fraction of a lot is a lot. And so, just as Toyota is bringing out the new Corolla, they?re unleashing the sequel to the Matrix. Let?s call it The Matrix: Rebloated.

Although the Toyota website gallery only shows blue pill imbibers the sporty version of the Matrix, the basic box ain?t bad. It?s still a tall, narrow, stumpy sort of wagon thing (a.k.a. a snail from outer space). The new sheetmetal swaps the ?grandma?s high trousers? look for gangsta chic. I?m not convinced about that swoopy swage line, and I?ve seen less steeply raked coffee tables, but at least there?s not an Echo in there.

The Matrix? cabin is the eHarmony.com of interiors. Sure, it LOOKS OK. The radio head unit doesn?t make me cringe (i.e. no Ford-style digital toothpicks readout) and the steering wheel-mounted radio buttons are a plus at this price point. The gauges are models of legibility. But when you actually meet the polymers in person, it?s time for an emergency phone call from your buddy. The silvery plastic sprinkled throughout the cockpit is just abominable, guaranteed to scuff-up and look like crap in a year.

In terms of practicality, the Matrix? rear hatch opening is (like the Saturn Astra) narrow at the bottom, leading to inconvenient fumbling with large objects. The cargo area is even worse. While the rear seats fold flat, the seat backs and cargo area are plastered with ?bureaucrat gray? hard plastic, offering less traction than Ron Paul. And how about the scuffs, digs, scrapes, divots, lacerations, and other nasty marks that sliding hard goods will make as they rumba around the cargo area?

Our test car holstered the 2.4-liter four-cylinder mill currently doing its anti-Civic duty in the Camry, Corolla, Scion xB, Scion tC, RAV-4, and so on. The 158hp powerplant?s definitely a willing and smooth dance partner. But the Matrix?s 5-speed automatic transmission is hopped-up on blow. ?WHAT? ME? YOUWANTMETOCHANGEGEARS?? Confused, hyper, and generally out of whack, the erstwhile slushbox was always in the wrong gear. Switching to the optional manumatic mode improved smoothness slightly, but herky-jerky throttle tip-in and limited gas pedal feel still ensure a less-than-satisfying driving experience.

The Matrix? steering and suspension are standard-issue ToMoCo; which is to say they?re solid and firm and more than merely adequate for drivers who aren?t in a hurry and have never driven a Honda. Take a corner too quickly and you risk scraping the Matrix? side skirt on the pavement. Never mind. The economy car?s greatest virtue is its ride. It delivers an ideal balance between soft and non-nauseating.

Aside from the usual prospect of excellent mechanical reliability and non-catastrophic resale value, there is very little about the new Toyota Matrix that?s inherently good. In fact, at the risk of jamming the red pill down your throat, it?s a terrible car. While we can quibble about quality, the biggest reason that the Matrix is a complete non-starter: Toyota sells not one but two competitors that are significantly better. (Not including the less-expensive, aforementioned Pontiac Vibe.)

If you still fancy a $22k Matrix (despite all that I?ve said here), please note that you can get the new Scion xB for less than $18k. Same platform, same 2.4 liter engine. The Matrix? ?advantages? over the killa B: an extra gear in its automatic transmission (which bites anyway), an optional sunroof and optional AWD? for yet another $1100 and $1000 respectively. And the Matrix offers a slightly more fuel efficient 1.8 liter engine (by a paltry four mpg city, two mpg highway).

So how about fuel economy? You could spend the same amount of money as you would on the Matrix 2.4 and enjoy vastly better fuel economy in the Prius.The Matrix?s entry level 1.8-liter engine (with the autobox) returns 25 city/31 highway. The Prius is rated at 48 city/45 highway. Not only will you be able to swan about in the carpool lane, but the Prius is a flat-out superior automobile. It?s a genuinely usable hatchback with a novel, space-age interior that offers its own variety of fun (passing pumps in a single bound).

Folks, this is pretty simple. You can get the same car for less money with the Scion xB. Or you can get more car for the same money in the Toyota Prius. Either way you win. And the Matrix loses.

:lol:

The random prius suggestion at the end was a little weird but overall I enjoyed reading that article. Decent review

Space-age interior in the Prius? Did they change it completely in the last few months and I didn't hear about it? It is rubbish! :D

What?s the difference between a manifold and a header? Is there a difference?

Headers are made out of tubing, manifolds are cast or machined as a piece. Often the terms are confused, though technically a header can sometimes be considered a sort of manifold.

This XK engine is showing its stock cast and porcelain-coated manifold.
Engine-DS.jpg

This XK engine has headers installed.
xkengine1.jpg

Last edited:
What?s the difference between a manifold and a header? Is there a difference?

I think the difference is that headers are specifically designed for optimal scavenging while manifolds just dump everything in one pipe. Though by definition a header would be a manifold.

Ah, thanks guys. :)

Headers are made out of tubing, manifolds are cast or machined as a piece. Often the terms are confused, though technically a header can sometimes be considered a sort of manifold.

This XK engine is showing its stock cast and porcelain-coated manifold.
Engine-DS.jpg

This XK engine has headers installed.
xkengine1.jpg

Manifold also can be mean the intake manifold. Although it is mostly like Spectre said.

fact: headers also make your engine at least twice as sexeh. Though in some cases it can possibly be as high as 5-10 times, depending on the engine and car its in.

I was thinking earlier on, are there any bad new German cars?
The only thing i could think of is the Beetle, but it doesn't really count.

BMW has a lot of pointless and ugly models but they're not bad in terms of popularity, satisfaction, or reliability as far as I know.

So last weekend I embarked on changing my oil myself for the first time. I've helped other people before, and it really seemed like an easy task. It's something every car owner should be able to do. Yet I failed.
I drove to my friend's place - got all the tools I need. He had 2 different oil filter wrenches, which meant I shouldn't have any problems. I tried the first - one that circles around the filter. Not big enough. Volvo (MANN) filters are enormous. Tried the second - this one looks like big rubber pliers. No access.

Embarrassed and annoyed I decided to do the decent thing and drive the car to a shop. After just a 20 minute wait, they told me to drive my car on their lift. The guys, although rednecks, were friendly and acknowledged that I have some car knowledge (theoretical at least). They let me stand under the car, while waiting for the oil to drain. Then after they poured most of the new oil in, they let me pour the last bottle to the exact level I wanted.

Cost of the whole procedure - $10.

This made me think - why would I even try to change it myself? I would've lost at least 2 hours, got myself all covered in oil. After which I would've had to drive to town again to drop the old oil, and I would've had to to laundry.

Changing oil maybe easy, but if someone can do it instead of me for just $10, I am more than happy to let them do it.

I subscribe to the same logic, it's such a cheap procedure, I see absolutely no reason bother doing it myself on a roadworthy car. Not to mention I know the guys who do it for me pretty well.

2 hours? Do laundry? Drop off the old oil?

Try 10 minutes, a shop shirt (or no shirt), and either stockpile the oil for a couple changes or use it to assist a bonfire.

You only need an over-eager 18 year old to cross-thread your drain plug (or worse, the fucking filter) once to truly fuck up your week.

Last edited:
I was thinking earlier on, are there any bad new German cars?
The only thing i could think of is the Beetle, but it doesn't really count.

What do you define as a bad car?

I would argue this is a bad car for instance.
2003-2004_Mercedes-Benz_A160_%28W168%29_Classic_hatchback_01.jpg

So last weekend I embarked on changing my oil myself for the first time. I've helped other people before, and it really seemed like an easy task. It's something every car owner should be able to do. Yet I failed.
I drove to my friend's place - got all the tools I need. He had 2 different oil filter wrenches, which meant I shouldn't have any problems. I tried the first - one that circles around the filter. Not big enough. Volvo (MANN) filters are enormous. Tried the second - this one looks like big rubber pliers. No access.

Embarrassed and annoyed I decided to do the decent thing and drive the car to a shop. After just a 20 minute wait, they told me to drive my car on their lift. The guys, although rednecks, were friendly and acknowledged that I have some car knowledge (theoretical at least). They let me stand under the car, while waiting for the oil to drain. Then after they poured most of the new oil in, they let me pour the last bottle to the exact level I wanted.

Cost of the whole procedure - $10.

This made me think - why would I even try to change it myself? I would've lost at least 2 hours, got myself all covered in oil. After which I would've had to drive to town again to drop the old oil, and I would've had to to laundry.

Changing oil maybe easy, but if someone can do it instead of me for just $10, I am more than happy to let them do it.

What?

1. Run car for a bit to heat oil.
2. Put oil pan under oil drain (may need to lift the car)
3. Remove plug.
4. Go do something else for ten minutes while it drains.
5. Replace oil filter (either via a socket wrench if you bought the right type or through a loopy thing if you bought a retarded filter)
6. Replace plug.
7. Pour new oil into engine cover.

Time: ~20 minutes total
Time you actually spend doing work: Under 10 minutes

Last edited: