Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Spectre, is it possible to do a manual swap on the previous generation XK?

I'd like to own one at some point in my life. It's either the XK8 or the DB7, but the Aston is a bit more expensive, and from what I've heard - troublesome.

I'd like to own one at some point in my life. It's either the XK8 or the DB7, but the Aston is a bit more expensive, and from what I've heard - troublesome.

I would so buy the DB7. No matter how troublesome and expensive. The old XK is great, but the DB7 just holds a special place in my heart.

The DB7 I6 variant is actually supposed to be quite reliable and came with a manual as an option; the engine is actually the AJ16S from the XJR that's been destroked to 3.2L and been breathed on by TWR (and supposedly Cosworth). Underneath, it's an XJS, inboard rear brakes and all, including the late-XJ40/X300 electronics suite.

You can put a manual behind the AJ-V8 but it would be mostly custom and involve bought-in parts from the Aston Martin V8 Vantage. There are a couple of companies investigating the feasibility of a manual conversion kit for the V8s right now; a more common option would be to fit a paddle-shift kit to the automatic, which is what I did to my XKR.

The V12 DB7s are where things start to go wrong with that model...

Me, I've decided to start leisurely looking for manual transmission conversion parts for my XJR... :D

Last edited:
Nothing for the SIII yet?

I linked one in the "Best of eBay" thread that was in great condition, although it didn't have any interior pics, (only needed tags and inspection) for $1095. For that kind of money, more power and a manual swap could eventually follow...of course, my priorities have changed now that I'm saving money for my study abroad/internship. :shakefist: Stupid education!

There is a manual swap or three for the S3, but it's a bit of a pain and the footwell is rather tight anyway.

Besides, in the case of the S3, the 700R4 made more sense for what I'm going to do with it, especially considering the original slap-shifter is still a marvel of sturdiness and positive engagement (it is reused in the transmission conversions.)

Last edited:
Hey Spectre, Got a estimated date in which Volcano-20 will be ready?

I'll be watching this closely. Picked a box yet?

They were available in Europe and Asia with manuals - Getrag 290s - so it'll be all factory parts. Most of the bits are shared in common with the Getrag 265 equipped normally aspirated cars and can be gotten from The Empire Of Rust Killed Cars On Which The Sun Formerly Never Set. The only thing I can't source from the mountain of U.R.K. MOT-failed cars is the pedalbox and associated hydraulics as those must be from a LHD car for obvious reasons.

I'll probably take me several years to acquire all the parts economically, but I'm patient. I waited a decade to get my TWR bits for my S3, after all, so what's a couple of years? :D And it's not like I have a shortage of fun rides or things to do in the meantime... (If you're keeping count, yes, it means I'd wanted the TWR pieces since I was 21.)

Hey Spectre, Got a estimated date in which Volcano-20 will be ready?

Since tomorrow is a holiday, I'll be doing some work on the site then.

By the way, the actual Volcano-20 got its air conditioner today. Keeps the place nice and cool for working on things. :D

Last edited:
+1

I'd love to see the XJR thread start getting some serious updates. :D

The XJR will probably be getting more attention as the year goes on. First order of business for it is to use it to test all those products which claim to correct oxidized paint; I've been busy with other projects, getting them out of the way first, so as to clear space and move in more equipment. For example, FordCrusherGT's RC51's been hanging around and it left this week; CrazyJeeper and I built up his Interceptor 500 in the place and it's now off to North Dakota - thus allowing more room.

Stand by for edits...Edits complete.

Edit 1:
As would I. Very interested in that. I also second the motion of _High Voltage_ getting an XKR. I, for one, want a coupe in BRG with cream interior said Getrag :D

The Getrags don't have a bellhousing for the V8 cars, only the AJ6/16.

Edit 2: Here's some of what's in the Volcano as of a couple of days ago.
IMG_6199.JPG

Note acetylene tank.

IMG_6204.jpg

Hey, look, it's a hybrid Jag again! :p

IMG_6208.JPG

IMG_6209.JPG

Added some additional shelving and stocked up on some additional supplies. More shelving to come, I don't have half the tools and such put up yet and I need the space to put up the spools of vacuum and fuel hose, etc., etc.

IMG_6212.jpg

That's a 'new' workbench on the right, courtesy of CrazyJeeper. I've got a bench vise and metal bender that will be going on it.

IMG_6206.JPG

Spare 700 engine and wheels. Don't worry, the S3 is still around.

Last edited:
The DB7 I6 variant is actually supposed to be quite reliable and came with a manual as an option; the engine is actually the AJ16S from the XJR that's been destroked to 3.2L and been breathed on by TWR (and supposedly Cosworth). Underneath, it's an XJS, inboard rear brakes and all, including the late-XJ40/X300 electronics suite.

You can put a manual behind the AJ-V8 but it would be mostly custom and involve bought-in parts from the Aston Martin V8 Vantage. There are a couple of companies investigating the feasibility of a manual conversion kit for the V8s right now; a more common option would be to fit a paddle-shift kit to the automatic, which is what I did to my XKR.

The V12 DB7s are where things start to go wrong with that model...

Me, I've decided to start leisurely looking for manual transmission conversion parts for my XJR... :D

Doesn't the duratec and aj share the same bellhousing pattern? If that is the case, wouldn't the 2011 V6 Mustang 6 speed manual bolt up?

Doesn't the duratec and aj share the same bellhousing pattern? If that is the case, wouldn't the 2011 V6 Mustang 6 speed manual bolt up?

No, they don't, at least not as far as I know.

https://pic.armedcats.net/e/ey/eyemwing/2010/05/31/IMG_6208.JPG
I have one just like that on a not dissimilar shelf.

That one still works, as does the one on top of my filing cabinet here. :D Besides, what volcano-occupied-by-Spectre doesn't come with random computerage? :D

I've never powered mine up. Too busy loving my Apple II and IBM PC family.

Now if you want random - I have this stupid IBM RS/6000 that I've been trying to get a non-AIX Unix on for AGES - but none of them like its particular configuration. Truly worthless piece of kit that.

Darnit, i have to spread the rep around and such. I always LOL a bit at you and your insane car qualifications and the constant quest for the perfect motor vehicle :drool:. There are certainly worse hobbies to have, and I know you rather enjoy the search, but damn you have high standards. :p

Hehe :lol: Yeah, but I do want to find that ultimate time-warp car. There's a 1985 Mazda 626 for sale 100km from here with 35 000 km on the clock. It's too expensive for me and it should never see daily use, but I'd love it. :)

The Getrags don't have a bellhousing for the V8 cars, only the AJ6/16.
Heheh, "bell housing". :p

I've seen a few factory manual series 2s and 3s for sale here. There was one Series 3 with a swapped Toyota manual 'box that was very cheap for sale nearby too, probably long gone now.

Heheh, "bell housing". :p

I've seen a few factory manual series 2s and 3s for sale here. There was one Series 3 with a swapped Toyota manual 'box that was very cheap for sale nearby too, probably long gone now.

The Toyota manual swap in is a Dellows kit, out of (surprise) Australia and rarely seen elsewhere. I would have gotten one except they don't seem to return phone calls or emails outside of .AU.

The Toyota manual swap in is a Dellows kit, out of (surprise) Australia and rarely seen elsewhere. I would have gotten one except they don't seem to return phone calls or emails outside of .AU.

Hmm, so its a kit available locally. This may be something I'll have to do when I have time and money :D