Random Thoughts....

Spectre, do you ever go to bed? It's 5.53am where you are now - are you the product of some secret government program that produces highly trained and deadly assassins who don't need to sleep?

oh crap, they're on to me...

...wait, they think it's Spectre.

PHEW.

Apparently it takes 8 trips up and down a ladder and three stings from wasps before a new antenna bracket is mounted to your chimney. I tested that today.

LOL we got some similar survey to that - but it was one of those phone ones. Kept my mum tied up for a good half and hour....at dinner time. Thank goodness I was there so I could finish the cooking so we actually got to eat! :lol:

I was on my P's for the normal three years. I just missed the Victorian switch-over to the two tiered P system, so I've only ever had the green ones. I spent AGES on my L's though, and did spend a year studying in Melbourne where I didn't drive at all, so I didn't take the test to get my P's until July 2007 which was for automatic only. I got the manual license after buying my own car in August 2008.
You need a manual license in Australia? That kind of sucks, you can't just hop in and try to learn yourself.

My Mobile-phone provider just called. Discussing something with call-center-agents when you don?t pay for the call and they want something from you is hilarious. That woman just now was adament she knew what I wanted much better than I do to the point she just obviously lied to me. I know they just follow their script and don?t believe that bullshit themselves, but after I made it very clear, I wasn?t buying what she trying to (up)sell me, she was like "no, the earth is flat - if it were round, you?d fall right off" (not literally, just to illustrate the size of the lie she served me). I had to laugh out loud, literally. She sounded quite pissed after hearing me laugh and told me good bye :rofl: I had some friends who were CSAs too and know it?s a shit job especially if you have to sell something - so I do have some respect for the poor people who have to do such a Job ... but only to a certain point ... this shit was just hilarious.

Last edited:
You need a manual license in Australia?
That's called a normal license just about everwhere ;)
That kind of sucks, you can't just hop in and try to learn yourself.
Yeah that's the idea. I don't want to think of how horrible it would be if automaniacs were let out on the streets to learn shifting gears by themselves.

Last edited:
Well I thought most manual transmission learning happened in huge parking lots, at least that is what my plan is.

Here in the UK the default license is for a manual car, and the test and lessons are taken in a manual car. You can choose to take an automatic test but from then on you can only drive an auto unless you take the manual test.

(I don't get why somebody would even take the auto test unless they were disabled and couldn't operate a clutch)

It raises an interesting question though. What when there aren't any more manual cars available to be sold to driving schools (or whatever system other countries have)? Just as nowadays almost no one learns how to use an unsynchronized transmission because cars don't have them anymore, some day all cars will have automatic gearboxes of at least automated clutches.

Anybody else really hate flat-packed furniture, me too

Hang on, WAIT! Why are you putting words into my mouth, man? :mad: I happen to like flat packed furniture.

I just got back from the MotoGP After Party. I never thought I would be having a conversation with two former World Champion motorcycle racers.

Admit it; you lured them into conversation with your wild adventures of fruit inspector evasions.

It raises an interesting question though. What when there aren't any more manual cars available to be sold to driving schools (or whatever system other countries have)? Just as nowadays almost no one learns how to use an unsynchronized transmission because cars don't have them anymore, some day all cars will have automatic gearboxes of at least automated clutches.

I refer you to the US, present day. Nearly no parents have manual cars so nearly no children learn on them. Our auto rate is now >90%.

That annoys me to no end. I had to borrow my cousin's Mitsu Mighty Max to learn on.

:shock2::thumbup::D

As for the lack of Manuals,we knew this day would come didn't we?

Last edited:
My driving school had a slushbox. :(

I think there's this generally-accepted notion that learning to drive a slushbox is easier, so it must be better.

'Tis laziness, if you ask me.

Last edited:
My driving school had a slushbox. :(

I think there's this generally-accepted notion that learning to drive a slushbox is easier, so it must be better.

'Tis laziness, if you ask me.

I know of a few cases where car jackers gave up and stole another car because they didn?t know how to drive a slushbox, so that?s relative.