The Gun thread

I worked in a gun store for about 9 months not too long ago. I can't tell you how many people came in asking for military equipment like M-16s, M249 SAWs, and even shit that doesn't exist. After I explained to them that these type of firearms aren't available to civilians I felt like asking them what they would do if they got there hands on them.

One guy said after asking for a fully automatic MP5 that the had a woodchuck problem. :???: Most people acquire their knowledge about guns from Call of Duty and Battlefield Bad Company these days. No offense to anyone, we all gotta start learning from somewhere. But c'mon an M249 SAW ? Jesus

haha I've heard of such things.

Apparently there was a big rush to the guns stores to get the "OMGZ BUSHMASTER ACR!!!11ELEVEN!!!11!!oNE" after MW2 came out.

Yeah I seen those ACRs they are beautiful especially in Desert Camo but the overall design was copied from the SCAR as I see it. Those two are very similar in design and are probably overrated. Guys in the military even said that the SCAR is all hype and doesn't really offer an improvement over the standard M-16/M-4 design.

The ACR is also ridiculously expensive. I think it's upwards of 3 grand. Really any well built AR could out shoot these overpriced flashy yellow assault rifles.

SCAR-L:
SCAR_L_STD_1.JPG

Bushmaster ACR:
acr_brown_basic.jpg

Aye too modern for me. Give me a plain jane G3, FAL, or Galil thanks :)

galilh4.jpg

Aye too modern for me. Give me a plain jane G3, FAL, or Galil thanks :)

galilh4.jpg

I agree, too modern, for me, perhaps even an old No 1 Mk III Lee Enfield instead.

No 1 Mk III Lee Enfield in the hands of a well trained professional soldier reputedly up to 30 aimed shots per minute.

In a little more then a year I will be old enough to acquire my pistol permit. Lately I've been thinking of what handgun I would buy first and I was thinking of the FN 5.7 handgun. I'm sure this gun was discussed in previous pages but I wasn't sure. Now for starters the gun isn't really a "looker" and when I held it, it felt like it was made of cheap plastic like a toy.
However I guess since it's lightweight it wouldn't be a pain in the ass to carry.

It fires a rifle round which is pretty neat. The 5.7 is the same round fired by the P90. I remember one of my former co-workers used to carry it. Also it came with decent sights (not sure if they were night sights). But I was thinking of putting a barrel extender on it to make it look like a suppressor. Also the range of this gun would be incredible for a handgun.

Unfortunately I can't get the 20 round mags because I live in New York state and were forced to use the pansy ass 10-round mags in everything<_< (unless pre-ban).
Also if your caught with high cap mags or a suppressor they will throw you in jail for 135 years.

If anyone has every played any of the Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell games, it's Sam Fisher's sidearm (SC pistol) :D. I know that sounds childish but I thought this gun would look nasty and be a blast at the range (excuse the pun).

http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?...3&categorySelector=5&detail=&cHash=b5dcbec1bd

FN57OD001.jpg

Fn57.jpg

fncomparison.jpg

152g8lx.jpg

Last edited:
If you want my honest opinion, I see guys at the range from time to time who bought guns because of Call of Duty or some other video game. They are usually so thick-headed they don't know they are a laughingstock. Pick a gun based on size, comfort, round, action, quality, accuracy, ease of carry, safety, whatever, but don't pick one because it was in a video game.

My local gun shop has people come in all the time asking for pistols and rifles from various games. Depending who is behind the counter they might get to handle a gun from the case, sometimes they are just sent packing, and sometimes the staff recommend a gun familiarity class.

To be honest, I'd never seen one in person before and I wouldn't know by looking. I came across it in the Salt Lake City Cabela's, and the tag listed it as a "Dragunov". I wouldn't be surprised if it was just mislabeled, having looked at prices today it does seem a bit too cheap for a real one. Are there functional differences between the PSLs and the genuine Dragunovs?

I've seen that rifle, it's not a real Dragunov.

Last edited:
If you want my honest opinion, I see guys at the range from time to time who bought guns because of Call of Duty or some other video game. They are usually so thick-headed they don't know they are a laughingstock. Pick a gun based on size, comfort, round, action, quality, accuracy, ease of carry, safety, whatever, but don't pick one because it was in a video game.

My local gun shop has people come in all the time asking for pistols and rifles from various games. Depending who is behind the counter they might get to handle a gun from the case, sometimes they are just sent packing, and sometimes the staff recommend a gun familiarity class.

Read my post at the top of the page. I had a feeling someone was going to take it out of context and bust my balls. I was just kiddin around

The 5.7 is not a rifle round. It is a pistol and SMG round. It isn't even an intermediate or carbine round. The 5.7's effective range is (surprise) about what you get out of a 9mm +P+.

Also, the 5.7 in civilian loadings blows goats with regards to antipersonnel effectiveness, so it's not a great choice for self defense. Unless you like going to jail for shooting innocent persons downrange of the perp you're shooting at (the 5.7 overpenetrates like hell and with the civilian bullet loads, doesn't transfer energy for jack.)

Next, there have been incidents with the Five-Seven discharging out of battery with the usual unpleasant results.

Finally, for what you pay for it, you really don't get much. It's a very expensive, not very well supported and kind of odd looking pistol that isn't any more accurate than any other common polymer pistol.

On top of all that, the P90 and 5.7 round were designed to replace the conventional submachine guns carried by European vehicle crews with a smaller package that was effective against Warsaw Pact body armor. To that end, the round is all penetration and little energy transfer to start with. The idea was that the round would hit the target's body armor and penetrate, spalling chunks off the 1.5mm titanium plate of the armor (which would become secondary projectiles) and retaining enough just enough velocity after penetrating to cause significant wounding as the bullet would have slowed down enough that it would have begun to upset and tumble.

Unfortunately, when shot at a target that isn't actually wearing such body armor, all the damn thing does is zip right through, making an enormous and impressive-looking temporary wound channel, but the permanent wound channel is quite small and the energy transfer is low - even with the hollowpoint rounds civilians are restricted to. Flesh is surprisingly malleable; 'permanent wound channel' and 'energy transfer' are the two critical elements for a defense round.

But let's say you didn't buy the Five Seven for defense and instead bought it for plinking or target shooting. Well, it's not actually match-accurate, and for the price you can get much more accurate and well supported target pistols. On top of that, 5.7 ammo is uncommon and the price for the ammo (as indicated earlier by myself and other users) is often in the "rape" and "anal rape with pumice" class. (It's stupid expensive.) To put it in perspective, I can shoot a 9mm until I get bored for the price you'd pay for just a couple of boxes of 5.7.

Unless you're buying it just to have one and say "I liked it in the game, so I got it for no other reason than to have it to look at", there's really no point to owning one. Even if for some reason you have problems with Kevlar-armored thugs staging home invasions in your area, there are much better rounds and weapons systems to buy for that. It's pretty pointless as pistols go.

Last edited:
If you want a pistol following a similar concept, but significantly cheaper (both ammo and the gun itself) Kel-Tec is releasing a .22 magnum pistol that is supposedly going to only cost around $300. 30 rounds in the grip too. The ballistics should be fairly close to 5.7x28 and the gun itself looks somewhat similar. I might get one if they release a carbine version.

Also, the 7.62x25 Tokarev is quite a smoker of a round. The sub-gun loads will reportedly penetrate level 3 body armor, but I think it also would work for a armor-less defense as well, as it is a fairly large bullet. There are only a handful of guns that use it however, and the only two pistols are the TT33 (not very safe) and the CZ52 (odd ergonomics) Regardless I'm getting a CZ52 next week.

Speaking of guns from video games, I've always liked the USP Match from HL2, although as far as I can tell, it's a fairly expensive handgun.

20091006_2969946.jpg

I don't think you'd want that muzzle weight on anything you might be considering for defense either, and yeah I'm pretty sure they only made a limited number of them, and considering they are also H&K's... they are probably somewhere between "stupid expensive" and "don't bother unless you win the lottery"

the weight does make it look pretty badass though I must admit

...and in a similar case of getting excited over guns in various different forms of entertainment, I saw Inception earlier, and now I want a SCAR-L and a snow camo'd SiG rifle quite badly

Yes, the SCAR-L and SCAR-H are available now in semi-auto form for civilian purchase. Got $2400 for a SCAR-L? :D

No guns allowed over here except rifles for hunting purposes. Hard to get licences for them. Although there are handguns in specialized shops over here, a handful of diplomats can carry one.

The weights at the ends of pistols are called compentsators. They reduce recoil by adding weight to the front and in some cases, venting the gas expelled.

SCARs are the same story, as Spectre pointed out.
H&K guns are too expensive for what they are in normal form.

Just stumbled across this, the Ruger LCR

Ruger-LCR-38-sp-front-quarter.jpg

I think it looks great, and I really like revolvers. Anybody used one or know of other polymer body revolvers?