What Are You Reading?

Gone Tomorrow was the first Lee Child novel I read. Since then I bought 61 Hours from Angus and Robertson, and ordered three more from The Book Depository (at abour $10 each, free shipping) :)

He has a very simple and descriptive writing style which I like.

His style varies from one book to another (and as such, some I liked a lot more than others).

The first one I've read was "Killing Floor", his first Jack Reacher novel, and to date it remains my favorite.

One particular thing about that book was that it is written in the first person, present tense. Quite different than the usual narrations.

Gone Tomorrow is first person, and 61 Hours is third person. I've looked it up on Wikipedia which says a number of books are first person. There are advantages for each style and I have no particular preference. The books I've ordered from The Book Depository (thanks again Melbournian :p) are Bad Luck and Trouble, The Enemy, and Die Trying. Not in chronological order but I dont think it makes too much difference.

http://img832.imageshack.**/img832/6137/362517380234.jpg

Harold Lamb is one of the best adventure writers I have read. It is quite unfortunate that he is not more widely known. I am almost through the first volume of this four volume set. These four books are collections of stories that primarily cover Khlit the Cossack and related characters. Khlit is a 60 year old Cossack at the beginning of the first volume and has wide ranging adventures from eastern Europe to China in a period from the late 16th century into the 17th century.

I know it's like asking if anyone enjoys shaving with a rusty box-cutter, but if any of you like business books I can really recommend, "Rework," best business book I've read in a couple of years. Starting on, "Delivering Happiness," though which is supposed to be equally good.

%E2%80%9CDelivering-Happiness%E2%80%9D-Hits-Bookshelves.jpg

perfume-the-story-of-a-murderer.jpg

Teehee, it's got tits on it.

Meanwhile, Book of Lost Things left me pretty disappointed :(

516K1EfWdoL._SS500_.jpg

Be meaning to read this ever since I saw the film over 10 years ago. A colleague of mine loaned it to me yesterday and I plan to read it on a trip I am taking next month.

Already 4 chapters in. Whoops!

%7BFB1A509A-EE7A-42D5-80C5-DB03C97091A9%7DImg100.jpg

For school. I find his work really sombre and really reflects on how he saw the two sides of class in Russia.

perfume-the-story-of-a-murderer.jpg

Teehee, it's got tits on it.

When I first read it, I didn't really like it that much, but when I saw the film a few months after that, the book somehow seemed better.

If anyone is interested on Craig Ferguson's book -- it's a perfect light read for someone, who doesn't like to get too involved and surprisingly easy to read for 'English as a second language' guy like me.

So much win on this page.

Lee Child is great (not all of the books, but the majority). I love the military centric ones and the technical detail he puts in. I've had 61 Hours in my reading pile for a while now, and have started it. Just haven't had a lot of time to get into it. Maybe this weekend.

I read Perfume years ago. Loved it. Haven't seen the movie though.

Yes, read the Clarkson book.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. One of my all time faves, and I had read it before I saw the movie which is also one of my all time loves. Admittidly I didn't think much of Clint Eastwood and his branching out as a Director until I saw this.

Chekhov. I think I devoured everything he wrote when I was in High School. Very read worthy.

Chekhov. I think I devoured everything he wrote when I was in High School. Very read worthy.

Chekhov has always impressed me too. He writes amazing books and can fly the Enterprise! ;)

n22928.jpg

It's like A Clockwork Orange, set in Co. Monaghan.

judge_dredd_america.jpg

Followed by this.

517BHGGF9PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Flint and McNeill are two of the best comic artists present day IMO.

Last edited:
Finished The Butcher Boy
Jaaaaaaaaysus :blink:

I'm about to start this:
The%20Historian.jpg

I've heard mixed reviews about it. Is it any good?

Last edited:
Well, the Historian was a chock full of meh. Dull, dull, dull. If you are interested in a book of drawn out descriptions of early-mid 20th century Turkish infrastructure and one-dimensional characters, then this is the book for you.

I also read:
Huxley_brave_new_world_small.jpg

and
Kite+runner.jpg

and I just started
n14875.jpg

n55653.jpg

and

n55654.jpg

Books honestly were not that great, I just wanted to see how many questions that were left open when the series got cancelled were answered. They are not very long either and everything seemed rushed just to finish it, but at least there were some answers.