Random Thoughts....

You might want to see this: http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/Other_News_4/article_46961.shtml

Also search Google News for "Football Concussion"

Football (Hand Egg) players are some of the most beat up and punished players in all of modern sports. These guys are 350+ lb of solid muscle, getting hit by one is about like getting hit by a car.

I was at this game and everyone around me seriously thought this guy was dead.

[video=youtube;VDT9B-gcdsA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDT9B-gcdsA[/video]

And that's why they are cracking down on helmet-to-helmet contact or any hit leading with the helmet.

The Superbowl or Handegg through British Eyes.......

You know normally I hate that ever since you posted "The hitchhikers guide to the FinalGear forum(still waiting for a new installment)I read all of your posts in your voice, but this one was almost melodious.5/5 will mind listen again.

Reactions: MWF
You know, I know I complain about my labmate a lot, and I feel like I do it too much to y'all. But I need a place to vent it out more than anything, so please ignore the rantings if you aren't up to seeing it/advising about it.

Decorum seems to be lacking in the lab. While Emily smiles and waves hello to me as I walk into the lab today, the moment I sit down and say stuff is the moment she shuts off. She has no problems with anyone else, but with me she just quiets down. Before you ask, I don't stare at her tits, I don't flirt with her, I don't ogle her, I don't really care to stare at a married woman with no personality.

I just asked her how her weekend was. She described everything to me in full detail for a good 10 minutes, and then goes immediately back to typing on her computer. No response in kind, no reciprocation, no "How was yours?". She then starts humming and sighing like theres a lot of work for her to do (when there really isn't). I was sneezing, she doesn't say "bless you". If there's someone else here (especially our mentor) then she turns into a different person.

I didn't come in to work on Friday or even on last wednesday. I got fed up with listening to her/dealing with her. My mentor's always away and he has no idea what I'm doing anyway so his suggestions start getting diluted and don't match the present situation.

When I was about to leave today I hesitated, but I knew that shit was coming up, lab meeting tomorrow, so I gotta crank some work out. I can do it from home (remote logging/ SSH ftw), but since I was absent the last couple of days in the previous week, I thought it best to come.

Of course, no-one else is here, and I have to face her.

I also had to face the patronization of my other labmate Sarah the other day (who told me about how smart I was and how my GRE score was so much better than hers) when she told me how she got into University of Hawaii and I didn't. Fuck you Emily and Sarah.

This is why being nice and being a gentleman is outdated. Bitches like these don't deserve the good treatment. My future girlfriend and wife will get lavished with it, but not these ho bags.

I'm not an emotional PMSing kind of whiny person. No. Don't get me wrong. I'm a social outgoing and loving person and more than anything else I want to come to a workplace that doesn't feel like a yeast infected vagina. And I definitely have no tolerance for injustice. Yeah sure, ignoring me during conversation isn't a big deal and isn't a big injustice, but being treated differently because I don't have tits and a c-word is not fucking cool. And it's not just Emily that gives me that treatment here, it's fucking everyone.

So fuck you mentor, fuck you emily, fuck you sarah, fuck you breann, fuck all these motherfuckers.

I hope to God I get into a goddamned grad school, meet new people, and move on with the rest of my life because right now I feel like I'm confined. And I don't like that.

As per the suggestion of one of my best friends Liz, I have brought my camera here today and I parked my fucking car in the parking lot furthest away from the lab so I can walk through campus, listen to music and take pictures.

I might leave early just so I can do that.

You know, I know I complain about my labmate a lot, and I feel like I do it too much to y'all. But I need a place to vent it out more than anything, so please ignore the rantings if you aren't up to seeing it/advising about it.

Decorum seems to be lacking in the lab. While Emily smiles and waves hello to me as I walk into the lab today, the moment I sit down and say stuff is the moment she shuts off. She has no problems with anyone else, but with me she just quiets down. Before you ask, I don't stare at her tits, I don't flirt with her, I don't ogle her, I don't really care to stare at a married woman with no personality.

I just asked her how her weekend was. She described everything to me in full detail for a good 10 minutes, and then goes immediately back to typing on her computer. No response in kind, no reciprocation, no "How was yours?". She then starts humming and sighing like theres a lot of work for her to do (when there really isn't). I was sneezing, she doesn't say "bless you". If there's someone else here (especially our mentor) then she turns into a different person.

I didn't come in to work on Friday or even on last wednesday. I got fed up with listening to her/dealing with her. My mentor's always away and he has no idea what I'm doing anyway so his suggestions start getting diluted and don't match the present situation.

When I was about to leave today I hesitated, but I knew that shit was coming up, lab meeting tomorrow, so I gotta crank some work out. I can do it from home (remote logging/ SSH ftw), but since I was absent the last couple of days in the previous week, I thought it best to come.

Of course, no-one else is here, and I have to face her.

I also had to face the patronization of my other labmate Sarah the other day (who told me about how smart I was and how my GRE score was so much better than hers) when she told me how she got into University of Hawaii and I didn't. Fuck you Emily and Sarah.

This is why being nice and being a gentleman is outdated. Bitches like these don't deserve the good treatment. My future girlfriend and wife will get lavished with it, but not these ho bags.

I'm not an emotional PMSing kind of whiny person. No. Don't get me wrong. I'm a social outgoing and loving person and more than anything else I want to come to a workplace that doesn't feel like a yeast infected vagina. And I definitely have no tolerance for injustice. Yeah sure, ignoring me during conversation isn't a big deal and isn't a big injustice, but being treated differently because I don't have tits and a c-word is not fucking cool. And it's not just Emily that gives me that treatment here, it's fucking everyone.

So fuck you mentor, fuck you emily, fuck you sarah, fuck you breann, fuck all these motherfuckers.

I hope to God I get into a goddamned grad school, meet new people, and move on with the rest of my life because right now I feel like I'm confined. And I don't like that.

As per the suggestion of one of my best friends Liz, I have brought my camera here today and I parked my fucking car in the parking lot furthest away from the lab so I can walk through campus, listen to music and take pictures.

I might leave early just so I can do that.

wow, definately sounded like you had a lot to vent and get off your chest, which is good.

first of all, i'm a big subscriber to the theory that nice guys always finish last. i'm nuts about a girl who most likely will never be interested in me. amount of times i've wanted to bang my head on a table.

most of all though from what i've read is that these people seem to be lacking not only in common sense but also common courtesy. Its ok asking about a weekend and so on, but it should be at least reciprocated. Even if you don't care or you did sod all, it still shows that your paying attention. When people stop paying attention to others, it breeds arrogance and contempt which from the sounds of it seems like what you were describing with your lab mates. you've definately handled it far better than i would have, would have probably lost my temper by now, turned green and proceeded to run around the lab yelling "Hulk smash!" for a few hours.

i would say also that getting out is good. when i was at my previous job at a warehouse i often felt confined and stuck in there. like i would be there until my twilight years or until they turned the lights off permanently. best way i could describe it is that i felt like "butter scraped across too much bread." a change of scenery might do you good, but i would at least make sure that you have everything in place.

Your mate had the right idea as well, take a moment either at the start of the day or end of the day for yourself and just listen to some music or relax. does a world of good.

most of all i would say that your probably better off not paying any attention to them, they don't sound like the sort of people that you are going to see again or your life is somehow miraculously entertwined (sp?) with theirs. best day you will ever have is the day you walk out of there. might as well do it with your head held high and knowing that you did everything you could and it was done through your own accomplishments and not anyone elses.

You know normally I hate that ever since you posted "The hitchhikers guide to the FinalGear forum(still waiting for a new installment)I read all of your posts in your voice, but this one was almost melodious.5/5 will mind listen again.

I may record it for lulz in that case. ;)

Very few of you may remember this post in which I mentioned that my town could soon feature in an advert with Aleksandr the meerkat.

Well apparently somone at the train station likes the idea. :D

https://pic.armedcats.net/m/ma/matt2000/2011/02/07/DSC_1850_1_S.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/m/ma/matt2000/2011/02/07/DSC_1858_1_S.jpg

wow, definately sounded like you had a lot to vent and get off your chest, which is good.

first of all, i'm a big subscriber to the theory that nice guys always finish last. i'm nuts about a girl who most likely will never be interested in me. amount of times i've wanted to bang my head on a table.

most of all though from what i've read is that these people seem to be lacking not only in common sense but also common courtesy. Its ok asking about a weekend and so on, but it should be at least reciprocated. Even if you don't care or you did sod all, it still shows that your paying attention. When people stop paying attention to others, it breeds arrogance and contempt which from the sounds of it seems like what you were describing with your lab mates. you've definately handled it far better than i would have, would have probably lost my temper by now, turned green and proceeded to run around the lab yelling "Hulk smash!" for a few hours.

i would say also that getting out is good. when i was at my previous job at a warehouse i often felt confined and stuck in there. like i would be there until my twilight years or until they turned the lights off permanently. best way i could describe it is that i felt like "butter scraped across too much bread." a change of scenery might do you good, but i would at least make sure that you have everything in place.

Your mate had the right idea as well, take a moment either at the start of the day or end of the day for yourself and just listen to some music or relax. does a world of good.

most of all i would say that your probably better off not paying any attention to them, they don't sound like the sort of people that you are going to see again or your life is somehow miraculously entertwined (sp?) with theirs. best day you will ever have is the day you walk out of there. might as well do it with your head held high and knowing that you did everything you could and it was done through your own accomplishments and not anyone elses.

Hey thanks man for the advice and for giving your input into the whole situation. I really appreciate it.

It's exactly as you described, this place is somehow become a cesspool of contempt for me. The whole ignoring and pretending to be overly busy thing isn't completely new. This has been going on for the longest time and I've been as patient as possible with it.

Unfortunately or fortunately I have to do my best at work since this is astronomy research, it's for the future and for my grad school and for myself. However that still doesn't mean I can't be unhappy about certain things right? I will be stuck with this girl on the flight to San Jose coming up in Feb 22nd. I will be spending 3 days with her and the mentor on the mountain, observing. It will be full of "Yes Emily, no Emily, yes Emily." and then treating me like crap on a stick, and I expect it and I'm going into this knowing it's going to happen and I'm mentally preparing myself so that I come in full force with all my knowledge. If nothing I hang around finalgear and hulu and text twist and bloons TD while we do the observing run to retain my sanity.

I'm sorry to hear about the girl of your interests man. I guess its all about conveying confidence and only showing microscopic glimpses of your niceness that works. I personally will just be myself. If she likes me for who I am, that's the one for me. Don't need no hoes up in hurr.

I definitely hope never to see the labmates again. I'm sure my mentor will want to check in on me once in a blue moon to see how things are progressing in my life and maybe we'll even collaborate and it'll be great because I'm not working directly for him.

Otherwise I will go fucking mirror image, time warp, living bomb, scorch, flame strike, orb, blast wave, impact, and pyroblast on hot streak procs on these guys.

Hey thanks man for the advice and for giving your input into the whole situation. I really appreciate it.
No problem mate, glad to help.
It's exactly as you described, this place is somehow become a cesspool of contempt for me. The whole ignoring and pretending to be overly busy thing isn't completely new. This has been going on for the longest time and I've been as patient as possible with it.
Unfortunately or fortunately I have to do my best at work since this is astronomy research, it's for the future and for my grad school and for myself. However that still doesn't mean I can't be unhappy about certain things right? I will be stuck with this girl on the flight to San Jose coming up in Feb 22nd. I will be spending 3 days with her and the mentor on the mountain, observing. It will be full of "Yes Emily, no Emily, yes Emily." and then treating me like crap on a stick, and I expect it and I'm going into this knowing it's going to happen and I'm mentally preparing myself so that I come in full force with all my knowledge. If nothing I hang around finalgear and hulu and text twist and bloons TD while we do the observing run to retain my sanity.
that would really wind me up, knowing the amount of crap coming my way and not being able to do anything about it. that would really send me to the funny farm. on the good side, we'll be here in the forums to pick off which bits of your sanity survive. well, at least those of us in the Game forum anyway.
I'm sorry to hear about the girl of your interests man. I guess its all about conveying confidence and only showing microscopic glimpses of your niceness that works. I personally will just be myself. If she likes me for who I am, that's the one for me. Don't need no hoes up in hurr.
thanks. as for being yourself. well put simply, if you are going to be damned, be damned for who you really are.

Last edited:
Reactions: LP

I beg to differ. By acting and reacting at their level, you become them. And who knows, maybe that is what they want. Remain, polite but aloof and reserved is my advice. When it starts bothering you, retreat into that space in your head that is reserved for stressful times.
If they ask why you have become reserved and aloof, tell them you wish to be left alone and to do the task at hand, thank you.

*EDIT* I would like to remind you that I work with low brow mouth breathers who generally hate life. How would you deal with people like that if you were me, know my interests in birds, flowers, classical music and what not?

Last edited:
LP, I'm half drunk at the moment and probably not as experienced as others when it comes to coworkers. But your labmate Emily sounds a lot like a stereotypical person who so far has had lots of easy successes along her way and is now "stuck" having to work for real. She seems to realise that you're more successful and/or better than her in some respect, so she's envious of you and hides it behind a veil of arrogance and contempt.

Remember that you'll always be better off than her because you're capable of realising your own shortcomings and dealing with them.

I beg to differ.
We had this whole "nice guys" debate over in NSFW a few months ago and someone (please speak up and take credit) made the wise distinction between "nice guys" and nice guys.
"Nice guys" as in people who can't work up the courage to show their feelings and act friend-like while secretly wanting to get into a girl's pants finish last, and rightly so. Acting like a friend when you actually want to be a lover means hiding your true intentions and then getting all whily and agressive, blaming the girl for not magically guessing your true intentions. And that does not even mention the fact that it is not really nice or right in any moral or ethical sense to put up an act of friendship, listen to relationship troubles and give advice while having a secret agenda. One can't blame his own lack of self esteem and courage that prevents one from showing his feelings on the girl.

These "nice guys" are the ones who think that everyone who actually mans up and is upfront to a girl is a macho dickhead frat boy jock asshole. This is not true. You can be a gentleman, treat a woman with respect, all in all, be a nice guy, and still be upfront about your intentions. That's what a real nice guy is.
You can even be shy and not bring up the courage to talk to a girl and show your true feelings. But then you'll have to find another way of deling with her than just becoming a best friend and mope. Maybe you can manage to make her take the first step without having to man up and be upfront, but don't pretend to be a friend if you aren't.

Even people who mostly are in a mood for casual sex and don't want a meaningful relationship at the given point in their lives can be nice guys if they are upfront about their intentions, like a certain dinosauric son of a deity, for example.

EDIT: Speaking of dinosaurs, it was another one, namely the spicy saurus, who spoke the truth about "nice guys" - i'll quote it because it's SFW, very true and not everyone here has access to NSFW:
Okay, since everyone is determined to talk about it, I'll spell it out again:

If you think you're a "nice guy" you're fucked. Men who are genuinely nice never use this phrase to describe themselves, in my experience. Nice means being generous with time, attention, money, and possessions. It means doing things you think your SO will like just because you think they'll like it. It means putting your own needs aside in preference of theirs.

It doesn't mean thinking a girl will fall in love with you even though you've never told her you're attracted to her or demonstrated any desire to date her. This is the passive-aggressive behavior typically associated with the Nice Guy (notice the caps), who will often describe himself as such and bemoan the fact that women "always date jerks/assholes". This man is pathetic and prefers to cry about not having what he wants rather than going out and getting it.

So, in short, Nice Guys do finish last, as well they should, because the women are all paired up with Decent Men.

Last edited:
When you work with co-workers you just need to have a professional relationship with them - they do not have to be your friend, mate or lover.

My advice is keep work and social life separate unless you meet someone who makes it clear that they are interested in you and your interests and you like them too.

Reactions: LP
Aw, the kid looks like younger Ellie from Up.

c6d46af715b552d20ebb95e9f05f2b4c692a9ee1.jpeg

You don't talk much. I like you!

Aw, the kid looks like younger Ellie from Up.

c6d46af715b552d20ebb95e9f05f2b4c692a9ee1.jpeg

You don't talk much. I like you!

everybody keeps saying i should watch that film but from what i've heard the opening of the film is incredibly depressing.

Last edited: