Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

No, because they're kinda cool.

Today I saw the new Saab 9-5 Sportwagon pass by. Unlike it's some of it's sedanish cousins, it indicates amber like a proper car. No camo or technical gizmos attached. EJA599, 295 horsies, automatic. "Brown" on paper but grey in reality.

Last edited:
No, they're cool.

They look cool, but there's rubbish underneath. Renault engines, fwd drivetrain with loads of understeer, French gearboxes that are anything but sporty, etc. It's basically a Volvo 460 in a tracksuit. It looks cool, but it's nothing but a boring, slow car underneath.

they look like shit :lol:

take off the wheels, and you end up with something you shove under a door do keep it open...

I think they look great. But yeah, it's basically a french car that looks japanese with swedish badgery on every edge. I think.

Techically random 2-stroke strimmer thoughts...

My stepdad got the strimmer from his brother, the tank was dry. In my head a 40:1 ratio means fill the tank up with petrol and bang a capful or two in.
It wouldn't fire. This thing must be 15 years old, has 2 killswitches. The airfilter screw was stripped, I had a spark, but plug was dry.
3 levers on the carb, I then possibly spotted a ball in the fuel line that needed pumping. <_<
It fired up, the dog tried licking the end. The garden looked like a SWAT team had thrown a few hundred smoke grenades. :lol:
Mum complained we were gonna poison the fish.

All-in-all a great afternoon. :mrgreen:

"It's not working." :(
This was the first time since that they tried using it, I assumed they were idiots and forgot the sequence to start it.
The starter-recoil cord every 3rd pull, just didn't recoil. I got annoyed and pulled it, it got jammed.

Decided the best form of action is to strip the cover off and see whats going on. "Do you know what you're doing?" No, but that hasn't stopped me before and I can't make it worse. Right? :mrgreen:

Got the cover off, the splines were greasier than Jessica Simpsons thighs. Cleaned it up, the fucking thing starts instantly and the engine having been run for a good 15 minutes no longer smokes like a bastard.

The good news is someone found the manual, they're bringing it around in the week. :lol:

I'm hoping there isn't a part three to this story... i'm sure you are too.

*It has an engine, therefore could be automotive.

My car is now 100% road-legal.

...Didn't see that coming, did you?

:cool:

All I can say is that Colorado is awesome and I love my new car!

Welcome to Colorado. It really is a great place to be. Drink a lot of water.

My random thought.
I am thinking I should be keeping my current car instead of getting a new one. There isn't any problems with it. I would only need to get a timing belt, fix the AC and probably new tires and I can keep it going for at least 50k more miles. Probably 100k. I feel spending 10-15k an a new car wouldn't be smart at the moment, even if I can budget it. So maybe 1k to keep the car healthy isn't a bad deal.

Welcome to Colorado. It really is a great place to be. Drink a lot of water.

My random thought.
I am thinking I should be keeping my current car instead of getting a new one. There isn't any problems with it. I would only need to get a timing belt, fix the AC and probably new tires and I can keep it going for at least 50k more miles. Probably 100k. I feel spending 10-15k an a new car wouldn't be smart at the moment, even if I can budget it. So maybe 1k to keep the car healthy isn't a bad deal.
I'm in the same boat as you right now, nothing really wrong with the car and as much as I would like another one it's just not prudent...

Saw a Q7 TDI on the road today, didn't realize Audi brought those to the states...

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you right now, nothing really wrong with the car and as much as I would like another one it's just not prudent...

Saw a Q7 TDI on the road today, didn't realize Audi brought those to the states...

Well with me, I was originally thinking I would find a new car when mine reached 300kmi, but I think I might try to run it longer. It is a reversal of my long term plan for the car.

What can cause a 1996 Volvo 940 Turbo to idle roughly? My friend has one, and when idling the rev needle moves within a ~50rpm range, doesn't seem very healthy. Any possible reasons? I can get a video of it if needed.

On my way to work after dropping my cat off at the animal hospital, I found myself behind what looked vert much like a Nissan Xtrail - same taillights, blocky, square-edged styling -but the Xtrail was never sold here. So what did I see? Granted, I've seen some cars that were not available in this country before, but they were usually consular vehicles with diplomatic plates. This car/truck had a business name on the side and what apppeared to be California plates.

And congratulations, Posmo!

What can cause a 1996 Volvo 940 Turbo to idle roughly? My friend has one, and when idling the rev needle moves within a ~50rpm range, doesn't seem very healthy. Any possible reasons? I can get a video of it if needed.

It could be a host of things. I'd look at the ignition. Change the spark plugs and wires. If that doesn't work, change the crank sensor.

I officially have 1,500 dollars to spend on a car! I can't wait until school starts!

/is using part of my financial aid refund to replace the clunker.

Wait, you're replacing the clunker Failturn with something purchased for $1,500?

What do you guys think? Should we start a FG pool on what he gets?
Stay tuned for the followup pool that will bet on the first breakdown and the part that fails.