Test drove a Solstice.

TC

aka TomCat
Well, I went to the Phoenix International Auto Show this weekend. They had a few Corvettes to mess with, including an Atomic Orange Z06 which was just beatiful to see in person and sit in. I loved the way the cockpit feels. It hugs you. I can't imagine pushing 200mph in that thing. I got to sit in a few other cool cars as well. BMW M6 and Z4M. Audi RS4 and S6. Porcshe Cayman S. Merc SL55AMG, SLK55, CLS63. Sadly, Ford didn't have any GT's or GT500's to mess with.

While I was at the show I made it a mission to spend alot of time checking out the cars I want for my next vehicle. Solstice, Sky, S2000, MX5, RX8, 350Z, GTi, WRX, and even an MS3. I'm glad to report that I can easily fit in all of them, despite being 6'2" and 195lbs. Even the S2K was big enough, despite banging my knee on the steering wheel trying to get in. Everyone who says they're too small must need a diet and a gym membership.

So after the Show, my brother-n-law wanted to test drive an STi WRX, since he really wants to move up from his regular WRX. Well, we ended up stopping by a Pontiac dealership and I ended up test driving a Solstice. They had a beautiful dark green full-spec model out front, along with a couple black and blue models. I was nervous to drive it at first, because the last time I drove a sportscar with a manual, the clutch and throttle were very sensitive and I had trouble driving smoothly without making the car jerk. The only other manual I've driven in the past 2 years was in my brothers 1989 Ford Bronco II, so I was nervous about it, especially in a busy part of Scottsdale across from a Ferrari dealership. But the car was very easy to drive. The shifts were very short and precise with a solid, but light movement. The clutch was perfect, not as light as some I played with at the car show, but not nearly as heavy as my brother's WRX. The throttle was very responsive, but the clutch made it all very easy and smooth to drive, even for someone like myself who's unfamiliar with the car and rusty with manual transmissions. The car was nothing short of fantastic. The steering was just great, almost too great, in fact. You had to keep close attention to where you're going, because any little tiny small slight movements to the steering wheel and the car would react immediately. It definitely felt like a true driver's car. You sit very low in the car, so it fells very wide. The area we ended up test driving around was near the Phoenix Zoo and the surrounding area is protected wilderness, for the most part, so there was this fantastic twisty little desert road in the middle of Phoenix for me to drive the car. And I'll tell you, it was heaven. The Solstice felt absolutely flat as a board in the turns. And it felt like the tires were glued to the road. It was just an amazing car to drive and it felt very comfortable in the short time I had with it. I didn't feel the least bit cramped, I had plenty of room all around, even put the top up to see how much head room I'd have, and I'm glad to say there was probably 2-3 inch's of extra space up there. I had to move the seat all the way back and the steering wheel up, but the car felt tailored to me. It was perfect.

It's not a particularly fast car. 0-60 takes a tad over 7 seconds. But it felt really good power wise. For a 4banger with 177hp, it pulled nicely and made a good sound. Of course, it doesn't have much weight to pull around. Even the brakes felt strong. There is the GTP turbo model, but I would be more then happy with the NA model. The car I drove had the full leather option, and even though I never really liked leather, I would definitely get it when I buy my Solstice, if only for the leather wrapped steering wheel. It was weird pulling back into the dealership and steeping out of the car. It seemed like a wide car when driving it, but you step out and look down at this little sportscar you were driving. It really is like a mini-Corvette.

Now I just need to test drive a Mazda MX5 for comparison.

much weight? 2860 without driver isn't heavy? Thats freakin heavy for 177hp to carry.

The turbo model would be a better bet to get and not that much more expensive. But i'd still have my S2000 =P

:mrgreen: 177hp to lug around 2900lbs is... a lot to ask for from the engine... for aperformance car that is...
but to pose around town... it doesnt matter
:lmao:

Well, it's not as light as the MX5, which I also plan on driving, but it's not bad. It's the same weight as a S2000, so.... if that's heavy... Plus, the Solstice has more torque then an S2000, is a lot less expensive, and is alot more roomy. At the end of the day, I'd rather buy a brand new Solstice, then a 5 year old abused high mileage S2K.

The Turbo Solstice is about 5grand more expensive then the base model, and is also getting marked up by the dealerships. You'll end up paying S2K money for one, which would still be a good deal, but I'm not going to have that kind of money to spend when the time comes.

get the turbo or the SKY Redline (looks A LOT better IMO)

I want the Sky, so I can buy an Opel grille and badges to be "original" haha

Well, it's not as light as the MX5, which I also plan on driving, but it's not bad. It's the same weight as a S2000, so.... if that's heavy... Plus, the Solstice has more torque then an S2000, is a lot less expensive, and is alot more roomy. At the end of the day, I'd rather buy a brand new Solstice, then a 5 year old abused high mileage S2K.

The Turbo Solstice is about 5grand more expensive then the base model, and is also getting marked up by the dealerships. You'll end up paying S2K money for one, which would still be a good deal, but I'm not going to have that kind of money to spend when the time comes.

you can get a 5 year old abused 100,000k mile s2000 for... around 13000 bucks...
that was my first plan... then now i dont have 13000 bucks... <_<

That's actually a very good idea. I even know a website that allows you to design and buy a European licence plate for your car. :cool:

I actually prefer the lines of the Solstice over the Sky. And the Turbo models might be out of my budget. I have to buy this car in my name, with my money, on my credit score. So it really is up to the bank if I can afford a Turbo or not. But I'd be fine either way.

Trust me on this, having an Opel is the opposite of cool in most European countries...

Except that, as with any GM car with a blower, you'll get this wretchedly annoying, intentionally-programed lag in the throttle response from idling. It makes normal starts frustrating and jack-rabbit starts impossible, unless you're prepared for it before-hand.

I just want to do it because there isn't ONE Opel running around in the US, so why not? :cool:

I just want to do it because there isn't ONE Opel running around in the US, so why not? :cool:

There's a few of the old 60's/70's Opel Speedsters running around here in Florida. Though yeah, to have a car thats only available in Europe (or appears to be) even if it was utter crap, tends to make people in the US jealous. One reason why I want a Ford Mondeo ST220 so much...

...then again, half of the people in the US think that all of Europe drives on the left side of the road...

how about eat ramen noodles for 5 years and squeeze the money into a Lotus Elise?
:ninja:

Great writeup, Tomcat, very detailed and pretty informative. Even greater job to GM for having the balls to come out with a roadster for the first time in their 100-year history that actually doesn't suck! It doesn't hurt that the Solstice is also undeniably gorgeous.

you can get a 5 year old abused 100,000k mile s2000 for... around 13000 bucks...
that was my first plan... then now i dont have 13000 bucks... <_<
You're going to get an S2k with 100,000 miles, that's been revved to shit over and over again? There are far better deals than that. How about eating ramen for another 2 years and getting a 40,000 mile S2k for $18k? That is, of course, if you hate the Solstice because WTFZOMGLOLOMGBBQ it's AMERICAN, therefore it SUCKS!!!1!1 :rolleyes:

The Solstice was built here in mind of the fat asses to skinny asses ratio in the States. Which in turn is a lot more roomy. If I wanted roomy I would have got a STi or something...I mean 3 cup holders? Thats not a sport car that they are trying to make it as. I just love the S2000 interior where everything is at arm's reach and nothing to distract you except a digital cluster gauge from 1k to 9k =D

The Ecotec is like an S2000 engine that never hits vtec... Sure you have 100tq but thats nothing to boast about when you only have 177hp. I'll probably make up those few feet with the extra 3k rpm I got (figure of speech).

Less expensive yes, I can't argue there. The Solstice for a overall car is a great car, its a good city car and for close to 7-8k budget difference thats a lot of money to save. But thats 7-8k more what the Solstice falls way short of S2000 level.

I have a 2000 almost a 7 and a half (car came out in late 99), that I got used with only 10k miles on it. Got it for 20k cash out the door. It now has 33k on it almost a year and half ago. No problems what so ever, I take it to the road course, and drive back home without a worry in the world that it will break down on me. A solstice for me would be a car I wouldn't go around a track and not have anything go wrong with it.

So, with the 4-5k I saved from a new Solstice, I'd get my SC and mods and make a awesome 350ish hp on a stock engine well into the 100k miles without any worries.

I love this quote about the Solstice I found at their forum...
+ To see it is to love it
- To drive it is to hate it

You'll like the MX-5 a lot more, my friend just sold his, he had a mazda speed intake and exhaust, the thing is soo fun, throwing it into corner, and that 6 sp tranny is incredible, my only complaint was the clutch which had like no back pressure to it, and the fact that im 6' 3'' makes me feel a little uncomfortable in the car. Although it is much much better than a solstice or a S2000 on space.

I test drove a 2006 MX-5. I would imagine it's pretty similar to the Solstice in some areas, like interior space and acceleration. But the MX-5 seemed soft. It felt like a luxury car compared to my 1992 MX-5, and mine had the leather seats and A/C! It had lots of body roll, the motor, while very smooth, wasn't very exciting and the brakes were a little unnerving.

I really want a Solstice turbo as well.

Great writeup, Tomcat, very detailed and pretty informative. Even greater job to GM for having the balls to come out with a roadster for the first time in their 100-year history that actually doesn't suck! It doesn't hurt that the Solstice is also undeniably gorgeous.

You're going to get an S2k with 100,000 miles, that's been revved to shit over and over again? There are far better deals than that. How about eating ramen for another 2 years and getting a 40,000 mile S2k for $18k? That is, of course, if you hate the Solstice because WTFZOMGLOLOMGBBQ it's AMERICAN, therefore it SUCKS!!!1!1 :rolleyes:

Oh come on... like eating ramen noodles for 5 years is something hard to do...
the second you see that Lotus Elise in your drive way...
You'll forget the pain and the malnutrition
:lmao: