Ugh... your opinion? on zee new idea of zee summer whip?

I dont know about where you live but here theres a Cubic restriction on bikes for people under 23. Maby look into that before you go out and buy it.

Just a premature R.I.P from me :D

thx god i dont live in the UK then xD
:p

thx god i dont live in the UK then xD
:p

I really should watch the news more. Denmark has joined the UK and I haven't even heard about it.
Oh and we do have that kinda restriction till you're 21 (I think) then you can ride what you like.
I would also start on something much smaller. One of mates nearly killed himself and that was only a 125. He wasn't being stupid but inexperienced rider and a wet patch can cause havoc.

Alright, before I even start recommending bikes, the first thing you need to know: if you buy a sportbike, you will crash. I know quite a few people that have bikes, and I'd hazard a guess that at least 80% of them have crashed, to varying degrees of seriousness, and the others will, eventually. When you budget for a bike, be sure to include the costs of good gear...ie. helmet, jacket, pants, and boots. They increase your odds of surviving in a serious crash, and in minor ones, save your skin...literally. But only if you wear it... Leather is about $10 bucks a square foot, skin is $10,000.
Regarding the type of bike - anyone can get into trouble on any size of bike, but a faster one is going to be more tempting. Like the others have said, invest in a riding school, its some of the best money you'll spend, and they provide the bikes, so you don't have to worry about crashing yours while learning. If you do get a decent bike, get some sliders for it - in the event of a minor crash, lowside, or just forgetting to put down the kickstand, they can save you quite a bit of money on replacement plastics. Also, choose your company wisely - if the people you ride with don't accomodate your speed or skill and continue to push on, you can get in serious trouble - aside from stunting, this seems the be the most common cause of accidents. Also, countersteering will seem a little weird at first, but you get used to it...just remember when cornering to look where you want to go, and ride with your balls - if you feel you're coming into a corner too fast, its already too late - don't break, just tuck in and turn.

Oh, I forgot about the bikes...haha. If you start with a 600, the learning curve will be steeper - it will take much longer to learn to ride to its (much higher) limits than a 250, 500 etc. but it will save you the trouble of having to upgrade when you get bored with the smaller bikes. The Honda CBR, Suzuki GSX-R, Bandit, SV650/S, Yamaha 600R, Kawasaki Ninja 500 etc. all are decent bikes; find one that fits. This is the best time to be buying, too.

With bikes, you'll save yourself a bunch of money compared with cars; less gas, fewer things to upgrade.

klutch rox my world
how much would price go up in zee spring?
considering im looking at like a 1995 model to start out
oh... and the earlier models are quite heavy...
400 some lbs dry?
if i drop it ... i suppose iwill for many many times how the hell would i lift a 400 lb monster?
i doubt trips to the gym will help on this one lol

Last edited:
Expect prices to go up by about 30% in the spring. Take a look on craigslist, and whatever local bike forums are available. Earlier models are a bit heavier than the latest models, but they are still going to move you...even the early '90s sportbikes are going to get you to 60 in 4 seconds or less. 400 pounds sounds like a lot to lift, but you aren't really lifting it over your head...just tilting it back up. Besides, if your bike is rubber side up, you'll have plenty of adrenaline pumping, it'll turn you into the Hulk.

Expect prices to go up by about 30% in the spring. Take a look on craigslist, and whatever local bike forums are available. Earlier models are a bit heavier than the latest models, but they are still going to move you...even the early '90s sportbikes are going to get you to 60 in 4 seconds or less. 400 pounds sounds like a lot to lift, but you aren't really lifting it over your head...just tilting it back up. Besides, if your bike is rubber side up, you'll have plenty of adrenaline pumping, it'll turn you into the Hulk.

:blink:
i suppose it is unwise to buy the bike before learning the basics..?

Last edited:
hmm... interesting cuz i learned all my 'performance driving techniques' on the Z when i was 19-20...
didnt have problems handling 287bhp and 278 torque when i was 19
Your Z is in NO WAY comperable to a 600cc sportbike. The learning curve is MUCH steeper for fast bikes, and mistakes land you in the hospital.

For example, your Z, using the lightest model available, has a power to weight ratio of just 0.085hp/lb
A kawasaki ZZR600 has a power to weight ratio of 0.262hp/lb.
And older ZXR 250 still has a better power to weight ratio at 0.144hp/lb

And all that doesn't even take into account how much different bikes are to ride than cars are to drive. Honestly going from daily driving whatever car to sport driving a decent sportscar isn't that diffucult, but learning how to ride a sportbike if you havn't ever ridden is a LOT harder and more dangerous.

If you want to show off and act hard for all your friends, get a 600, but if you actually want to learn how to be a good rider, start with something smaller and work your way up.

Last edited:
Not necessarily...might want to buy the bike shortly after you get the learners license...at least you can drool over it, and buy some leathers that match the bike :cool: Especially if you find a great deal on a bike, and don't want to miss out on it by waiting until you have your full license.
I don't know if you've ever been on a motorbike before; if you have, and you know things like the general layout of the controls, shift pattern, etc...you're probably good to start in a parking lot. Maybe find a friend you trust to bring the bike home for you though.

Zenki, you're too fast, and always interrupting my posts. I always have to go back and include the post I'm responding to, or it doesn't make sense. :p

If you do start off with a smaller (read: slower) bike, you will learn faster, but you will get bored with it eventually. If you see yourself getting seriously into riding, and buying a newer, bigger bike in the future, then by all means, get a smaller, cheaper bike to learn on. Ps. stay away from the literbikes.

I think you need to step back from your computer and pay attention in class. The moment you're able to put a comprehensible sentence together you can learn how to ride a sports bike. Only then...

Kids and their priorities these days.

Not necessarily...might want to buy the bike shortly after you get the learners license...at least you can drool over it, and buy some leathers that match the bike :cool: Especially if you find a great deal on a bike, and don't want to miss out on it by waiting until you have your full license.
I don't know if you've ever been on a motorbike before; if you have, and you know things like the general layout of the controls, shift pattern, etc...you're probably good to start in a parking lot. Maybe find a friend you trust to bring the bike home for you though.

gotta watch out for any maintainance and reliability issues with these older bikes?

may i ask why you are spending all this money to buy a bike? its not like your car is particularly boring and just how many months out of the year are you going to be able to ride your bike?

I think you need to step back from your computer and pay attention in class. The moment you're able to put a comprehensible sentence together you can learn how to ride a sports bike. Only then...

Kids and their priorities these days.

Agreed. This isn't AIM or MSN; you can take the time to compose your posts in a coherent manner. If you do this, you'll find that your credibility in the eyes of others will increase dramatically.

Now having said all that, nothing you learned on the road driving a car will prepare you for riding a bike (apart from the rules). If you want to avoid becoming a grease spot within six months, take this advice to heart:

A motorcycle is not something to be used in an aggressive fashion on the roads; the need to be cautious and defensive on a motorcycle is much greater than in a car.

Having owned a motorcycle for three years, I can tell you that this is true beyond anything else. People simply don't look for bikes when they are driving; you will be cut off, brake tested, swerved into and forced off the road more times than you can imagine while riding a bike. And it's not like other drivers do it intentionally either - they simply don't see you. That's the reason why I gave up riding...it was too dangerous in my mind to continue.

Last edited:
may i ask why you are spending all this money to buy a bike? its not like your car is particularly boring and just how many months out of the year are you going to be able to ride your bike?

well if you haven't noticed already, he's 21 with an attention span of a 12 year old, so he's probably bored of the E46 already.

MrChips said:
Having owned a motorcycle for three years, I can tell you that this is true beyond anything else. People simply don't look for bikes when they are driving; you will be cut off, brake tested, swerved into and forced off the road more times than you can imagine while riding a bike. And it's not like other drivers do it intentionally either - they simply don't see you. That's the reason why I gave up riding...it was too dangerous in my mind to continue.

that is so true, I will even admit my dad has done it before and I have done it while I was learning to drive, the biker was right in the blind spot even when I headchecked so I didn't see him at all.

un-dee said:
I agree completely. Spoiled kid with too much money, he's going to kill himself. But don't say we didn't warn you.

we have all tried to warn him, its just that he won't take any comments about his safety, only if we support him in buying the bike so we might as well not bother.

and yea, Klutch has a good point, do you know where the clutch, rear brake, front brake, gear up and gear down is? Or do you have to start from the basic of the basic?

and swek, he's our jasonchiu replacement :D