Wireless network wtf?

if other devices are connecting to the inter-web alright, then it isnt a router problem, it is a computer problem.

personally, if it was an add-in card, i would try to re-install it first. if not, i would disable the ethernet port/wired lan and the cirrent wifi connection, and setup a new connection. also, XP seems kind of stupid when it comes to wifi, at least on the dell here at work - if i don't let windows manage my connection, it is very randomly dropped, so i need to not let dell's wifi management software manage it, and allow XP to manage it, then it works fine.

for the longest 30 minutes, i was stumped as to why i had full signal on an unprotected network, yet couldn't browse the web. once i realized that XP's built in management was secretly not allowing me to *really* connect, it was all worked out.... <_<

That sounds like what I'm experiencing here. Thing is, I've got no clue how to disable XP's management stuff.

if other devices are connecting to the inter-web alright, then it isnt a router problem, it is a computer problem.

personally, if it was an add-in card, i would try to re-install it first. if not, i would disable the ethernet port/wired lan and the cirrent wifi connection, and setup a new connection. also, XP seems kind of stupid when it comes to wifi, at least on the dell here at work - if i don't let windows manage my connection, it is very randomly dropped, so i need to not let dell's wifi management software manage it, and allow XP to manage it, then it works fine.

for the longest 30 minutes, i was stumped as to why i had full signal on an unprotected network, yet couldn't browse the web. once i realized that XP's built in management was secretly not allowing me to *really* connect, it was all worked out.... <_<

It could be the contrary: my SMC card only seems to work correctly when I let the SMC WiFi manager do the work of connecting me to the network. Even in Windows Vista I need to load up SMC's program and enable the card. Works fine afterwards, but it took me one full hour to find out, because Vista would tell me the card was working fine. Couldn't find any wireless networks, though.

To sum up: wireless networking is a great invention, but sometimes it's tricky to configure. If I were you I would check all the settings in your laptop twice, starting with the basics. Make sure you haven't inadvertently disabled the wireless card; many laptops have a button to disable WiFi and sometimes it gets pushed by accident. Once you're sure your card is enabled, check that you can connect to your own wireless network (associate with the AP, in technical terms). If you can do that, then there must be something wrong with your IP settings. Make sure your laptop network settings are all in automatic, that you aren't blocking your laptop's MAC address in the router, and that there are free IPs in your router's DHCP pool (usually this isn't an issue, but who knows). If all that is correct and still it isn't working, it could be a driver issue. Try letting Windows manage your connection and see if that works, then try the other way round. Most likely you will find the mistake in one of those steps. If you don't... then do as Adunaphel said: use a UTP cable :)

Holy sh#t on high!!! It's working!!! I guess I finally found the one little setting that the router didn't agree with. Only took up 3 afternoons. Thanks a lot for all the advice, it sure did point me in the right direction. You guys are the best!:bow:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm taking my laptop and sitting on the nice comfy couch.:mrgreen:

Holy sh#t on high!!! It's working!!! I guess I finally found the one little setting that the router didn't agree with. Only took up 3 afternoons. Thanks a lot for all the advice, it sure did point me in the right direction. You guys are the best!:bow:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm taking my laptop and sitting on the nice comfy couch.:mrgreen:

good deal!

Holy sh#t on high!!! It's working!!! I guess I finally found the one little setting that the router didn't agree with. Only took up 3 afternoons. Thanks a lot for all the advice, it sure did point me in the right direction. You guys are the best
Well...? What was it?!

It turns out the IP protocol wasn't set to get the IP address automatically. Control panel and right clicky on wireless network connection then properties, then properties again for the protocol. Set ip and dns to auto and bingo. My old router didn't seem to mind but this new one wanted to be a pain in the butt. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

It turns out the IP protocol wasn't set to get the IP address automatically. Control panel and right clicky on wireless network connection then properties, then properties again for the protocol. Set ip and dns to auto and bingo. My old router didn't seem to mind but this new one wanted to be a pain in the butt. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

probably because your new router uses another ip-range than you old (e.g. 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24). Which will indeed go b0rken if you don't adjust your settings accordingly :)

does anyone know how to get the cable Linksys router working in speedboost mode? i have a speedboost router and USB adaptor (both have speedboost on them) and speed is pretty good but not great. download is only around 200k/s compared to my usual 260k/s. and pages take a while to load. maybe it's just my slow-ish PC...

1.7 Celeron...