different motorsports

SuperGT season started two and a half weeks ago (March 18th) at Suzuka. The next race will be at Okayama in April 8th.

Argh! I missed Suzuka! I have nowhere to watch these races. :(

Topfuel.jpg

I've been to all different types of racing but nothing compares to seeing 8000 hp top fuelers in person. Who ever thought 4 seconds could be exciting.
As impressive as I'm sure they are to watch, I personally don't think top fuel/funny car races are really competitive. The majority of the times I see it one car blows up and its just a matter of the other one simply making it across the finish line.

Also, no lawnmower racing?? :lol:

That was an impressive bump.

there is only one racing series for me .. and thats SuperGT
DTM? Too slow .. FIAGT? Too slow.. SuperGT? too fast :p

the Toyota Celica and Toyota MR2/MRS
0504_090.jpg

0502_067.jpg

wow, racing trim makes any car look hardcore. Is DTM and FIA GT really slower than SuperGT? From the looks of it DTM has a lot of aero going for it and FIA GT has some hardcore cars.

edit: just going through some galleries on the supergt site and they have some awesome cars.
2001957537970651924_rs.jpg

2001938159030721304_rs.jpg

2001923764175565125_rs.jpg

0503_046.jpg

0501_002.jpg

0502_065.jpg

0504_025.jpg

Last edited:
here's a good motorsport :mrgreen:

click

edit: haha there's even an Xbox game of it :lol:

Last edited:
^ Lawn Mower Racing!! WOOHOO!! :D

As impressive as I'm sure they are to watch, I personally don't think top fuel/funny car races are really competitive. The majority of the times I see it one car blows up and its just a matter of the other one simply making it across the finish line.

Majority of times is a major overstatement, but it does happen. Mind you, I haven't really watched NHRA drag racing since there's virtually no coverage of it in europe.

But I really recommend going to watch a drag race event live. Like with rallying, the TV kills a big part of the sport's appeal: The noise and the speed. It's very different to watch at the strip.

Also, some of the engineering is just hilarious. 2-litre turbocharged Toyota engines with 1500+bhp on tap? Hell yes :mrgreen: And that's in Finland, where the drag race scene is relatively small compared to america.

*waits patiently for silly ricer kid to come in talking about drifting and how it's "faster" than apex driving* <_<

well it is......lol. now i enjoy going to drifting events, local spots and watching. The real skill in drifting isnt the whole D1 scene, its really knowing how to drift in such a way that you dont lose speed, combining drift and grip depending on the corner. Now watching a guy that understands what hes doing and you have an interesting race.

btw, drifting is not the be all end all to racing. its just fun to watch/do.

along with F1 i generally watch the BTCC and the WRC

for real hard core driving....WRC rocks, i watch the Dakar when thats on too, and sometimes the lower rally events because they are just made up of really cheap old cars and amatuer drivers...its always fun to watch.

for absolute flat out action and "cheeky" racing, the British Touring cars are amazing to watch, overtaking and crashes aplenty.

im not sure if they do qualifying, because they only ever televise the races, but if you win one race you get ballast added to your car. they usually have 2 sprint races and a longer race, they mess about with ballasts and reverse grids and stuff. it makes for exciting viewing.

Last edited:
I keep opening my mind to new motorsports too - the new Sky channel over here, Motors TV is brilliant for this as it's back to back races all day long! :thumbsup:

Last night I attempted to watch ALMS (American Le Mans Series) but the commentary and terrible coverage put me off totally - damn you Americans. Besides that the cars looked pretty good. Before that it was some NASCAR at Daytona, which was actually quite enjoyable, especially the big crash near the end :D

New sky channel?

motors TV has been on sky for absolutely ages. but it was mostly crap because they kept showing repeats of old DTM and that american le mans series.

ALMS and GRANDAM racing is really good stuff. You guys should give it a chance. Just mute the TV if our "accents" bother you. :p

I watch anything that comes on Speedvision or whatever lol. NHRA, WRC, ALMS, V8 Supercar; all that good stuff. I can't stand watching NASCAR though. I don't really follow any of it, but I will watch just about any race I find on TV.

I've only been to a few dirt track races, but i'm going to go more this year. Sprint Cars and Late Models are way more fun to watch than NASCAR, and the dirt tracks make it more interesting to watch. I hope the pics work.

Sprint Car, 600hp V8 in a tiny tube frame chassis built for sliding around corners...
vrasprint.jpg

Late Model...
DSC01422_copy.jpg

wow, racing trim makes any car look hardcore. Is DTM and FIA GT really slower than SuperGT? From the looks of it DTM has a lot of aero going for it and FIA GT has some hardcore cars.

edit: just going through some galleries on the supergt site and they have some awesome cars.
2001957537970651924_rs.jpg

2001938159030721304_rs.jpg

2001923764175565125_rs.jpg

0503_046.jpg

0501_002.jpg

0502_065.jpg

0504_025.jpg

I take it those are the GT300 cars. You have to admit, they are pretty wild-looking. I'd take the Ferrari 360, the 550 behind the F1, and the f1 (obviously).

Last edited: