2008 Line-Up (Rumour Mill)

Shouldn't the companys behind them require results? I mean you think they would rather sponsor a good driver with the talents for F1, than someone like Yamamoto?

Wow, Fisi is sooo smart. He expects a decision on the Renault 2008 line-up soon :shock:

Fisi expects '08 decision 'soon'

Giancarlo Fisichella says he expects to know "very soon" whether he will remain a Renault driver in 2008.

The Italian's future with the reigning world champion squad remains in question after a series of strong performances from rookie team-mate Heikki Kovalainen.

Meanwhile test driver Nelson Piquet Jr is waiting in the wings and team principal Flavio Briatore is believed unwilling to announce his line-up for next year until he is sure Fernando Alonso is not available.

"My contract is with Renault but the team has to choose very soon if I will be re-confirmed or not," Fisichella said in an interview with F1's official website.

"Personally, I would like to stay because I have worked very hard and made very few mistakes."

Fisichella, who has been outraced by Kovalainen for the last four races, explained that his recent results have been down to circumstance.

"That is only down to strategies and in my case occasionally they did not work - not because I have made any mistakes.

"We are constantly looking for points and, with six cars in front of us which are better than us, we can only fight for two positions and we have another six cars (fighting) with us for the same positions, so it is tough?"

"Heikki is a good driver and he has worked as hard as I did with the package that we have," he added.

"I was in front of him until the last race and I could be ahead again after the next one. We work for the team to get the maximum points for Renault."

Fisichella also revealed he believes Renault is unlikely to overhaul BMW for third place in the constructors' championship now that it has decided to focus on the R28.

"We are a little better, but we are still far from the position we would like to be in," he said.

"This was also evident at the recent Monza test. Renault has already stated very clearly that all its efforts are now concentrated on designing its 2008 car."

Source

I like Fisichella. I would like him to stay in F1, but not in Renault.

^^Agreed. Has he been watching different races to us?? Heikki has soundly smashed him in recent times. In Quali and in the races.

I don't think Fisichella is really in a position to demand Renault speed up their selection process. I'd like to see him remain in F1, preferably at Renault, but you have to say that Kovalainen is really beginning to gain the upper hand now.

Fisi, Fisi, Fisi...what went wrong pal? It all looked so good after 1997...

What went wrong was that he left Jordan and joined Benetton before joining Sauber, then Jordan again, then Renault.

He was good back then, but not good enough to get into a top team. He's like Jean Alesi really. A great driver who just didnt do enough.

Yeah, Fisi's a case of talent unapplied - he had something, but it all's gone nowhere. Now though, his time is up - he's had enough chances from Flavio.

^ My bad :p

Shouldn't the companys behind them require results? I mean you think they would rather sponsor a good driver with the talents for F1, than someone like Yamamoto?

There are other connections though.

For example, if you remember the driver Pedro Diniz, who drove for the awful Forty team, he brought many millions in sponsorship from Parmalat. The reason is that Pedro's father owned a chain of big supermarkets, and Parmalat were given prime spacing and promotion in stores in return.

As for Fisi; a career of underachievement and wasted potential. He should have been dropped seasons ago in favour of fresh talent.

Is it just me or is everything Alonso doing at the moment pointing to him leaving McLaren for Renault, hence why Renault didnt announce their driver line-up at Monza as expected.

Alonso: Constructors? title less important

Fernando Alonso says winning the constructors? world championship for McLaren is a much less important objective for him than securing a third drivers? crown.

McLaren?s perfect 1-2 result at Monza has consolidated the team?s advantage in the constructors? standings ? pending the outcome of Thursday?s FIA World Council hearing ? while Alonso trimmed team-mate Hamilton?s lead to just three points with his fourth win of the season.

Asked whether the victory was particularly gratifying given the huge pressure the team is facing over the spying saga, the Spaniard answered that it was special for him to win at Monza for the first time.

And he admitted that winning the constructors? title meant little to him, especially if ?around the team there are problems?.

?We are extremely lucky to be in this position to have such a fast car and it means a lot to become world champion, but, at least for me, it is not special if around the team there are problems,? he said.

?For me, it doesn?t matter because in the end it is good to be the drivers? world champion and the constructors? [championship], from a driver?s point of view, it is not really a big factor.?

By contrast, Hamilton said the adversity McLaren is facing has only served to increase his determination to win both titles.

?With all the things that have gone on, for sure, it would have been a much better year to have had no problems, but that?s the way it is,? he said.

?It would be great to win the constructors? championship and the drivers? championship, just to show that even still with all those problems and issues nothing can bring us down and we are unstoppable and that is a great point.?

And before the weekend Hamilton spoke of how he would relish beating Ferrari at its home race because of what he regards as the Italian team?s slurs on McLaren?s reputation.

?Beating Ferrari on their home ground has got to be a huge blow to their whole team,? he said.

?For me it would be a great feeling to do that because of what they are putting our team through.

?I know my team, I know the people here and I think we are being unfairly treated.

?We?ll do our talking on the track.?

Alonso?s comments could easily be interpreted as a further sign of his estrangement from McLaren ? and that he is unlikely to see out his three-year contract with the team.

But the double world champion insists he is simply giving an honest account of his priorities, which have been the same throughout his Formula 1 career.

?Of course, I have won two drivers? titles and two constructors? championships, so I know how the people enjoy winning the constructors? championship,? he said.

?But I have said all my life that for me as a driver I put 10 points, from zero to 10, to win the drivers? world championship and to win the constructors? championship is eight points.

?It is not the same to me.

?I enjoy every point that we do on the track, for us, for the team, and we are leading quite comfortably the constructors? championship and if everything goes on like this we will achieve that and I will be happy for the team.

?But I still prefer to win the drivers? [championship].?

Source

I'd rather be Alonso with 2 Drivers and 2 Constructors titles!

While his sentiments are probably echoed by every driver in the paddock (they bloody well should anyway) he seems to be going out of his way to piss off his employers at the moment.

If I owned a team, I wouldn't want Alonso as one of my drivers, there is no I in McLaren.

^ Unless you're dyslexic!!

My perfect driver combo would be Button and Kubica.

Kimi for his speed.....but you would also need a great development driver then. Which I can't think of....maybe Coulthard??

^ Heidfeld?

Yeh scrap Coulthard. Hiedfeld is probably as good as anyone.