Have any of you driven drunk before?

Have any of you driven drunk before?

• Yes, I do it often.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Yes, but I have only done it once/few times

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • No, but I did drive after I had sobered up

Votes: 55 37.9%
  • No, I have never let a drop of alcohol touch my lips.

Votes: 48 33.1%

• Total voters
i'm impressed. you go to meeeeechigan, and you've never drank?!?
Going to Michigan would be more than enough to drive me to drinking! :p

I once got a surprise practical experiment showing how long alcohol affects you even after you've stopped drinking. It was back when I was still going to Ohio State and I was in the aviation program. I had a flight lesson scheduled for noon on a Sunday to take advantage of nice weather before winter set in. The night before I went out with some friends and had a few drinks. I had a nice buzz but it wasn't so bad that I was struggling not to fall over. I left early (funny how the only time I didn't hate riding the campus bus was when I had been drinking) and was buzz-free in bed by 2am to get nice and rested up. I got up and headed to the airport without feeling any effects whatsoever. It's like I hadn't gone out at all the night before. But after being about 2,000 feet in the air (i.e. less oxygen in my blood a la alcohol) for about ten minutes I suddenly got dead tired. I'm talking the staying awake for two days kind of tired. I told my instructor I was feeling a bit nauseous (it was pretty bumpy that day too) so he took the controls and we headed back in. Never again! That just goes to show that even if you think you're ok there's a chance you aren't.

There was a TV programme a while back and they tested how long does the alcohol stay in your blood. They gave a grown man a fifth of a bottle of gin and then left him for the night at a hotel. On the morning, he had breakfast and after that they tested him with equipment a policeman may have - he was still over the limit of blood alcohol level. In fact, it took him till the late afternoon to completely sober up and be able to drive legally.
So sobering up after the party at 4AM doesn't really happen...

As I'm still in the earlier phases of having a full drivers license, I am restricted to a BAC of zero. And given my license to drive means more to me than a lot of things in life, then no, I haven't driven under the influence of alcohol, let alone drunk.

Though technically speaking, I have simply moved my vehicle from a driveway to the other side of the street whilst being drunk. So there, convict me :p

Zero tolerance.

I've never driven DRUNK, but intoxicated many a time. Not always by choice, even... some doctors are useless.

These days, though, I consider myself a devout couch tester. In fact, a top tip! The couches at the Palms in Las Vegas are insanely comfortable.

I like our German friends' idea of banning you for life from driving if you get caught driving drunk. I vote for zero tolerance. Once is too often.

Admittedly, I rarely drink, and I usually go big when I do. In such cases I can't even find my keys even if I wanted to get behind the wheel (but I wouldn't).

On one occasion, however, I 'had' to move my motorbike from one end of a parking lot to another, after having a few drinks. Maneouvered it perfectly between a few concrete barriers, pulled up in front of the building I was going into (another party), swung my leg off it, let go....and it fell over, right in front of a group of people. Forgot to put the kickstand down. Don't know if it was due to the alcohol or ignorance, but I'm blaming it on Jack Daniels to this day.

i never did, and i never ever will.

Never done it and never will.

Besides I almost never drink alcohol I don't like its taste. Yes! Call me a freak but there are worse cases of people who I know (believe me it's true) that they don't like the taste of water.

Anyways here in Spain there are far too many douchebags who die on the roads for drinking and driving and I don't want to become one of them. And just as SL65 said, my driving license it's one of the things I love most and losing it would be one of the worst things for me.

I'm surprised at how many members (at least claim they) don't drink alcohol. It might just be all the young'uns, but still. I was previously under the impression that nearly everyone drinks and that the number of teetotalers was way less than 30%.

1 glass of wine is my limit if I know I'm driving. I don't want to kill or injure someone else on the road because I was too drunk to control my car.

Drunk? No... one with lunch etc, maybe, but that's hardly drunk nor over the limit. I couldn't afford to lose my license, so I don't take the risk

I'm surprised at how many members (at least claim they) don't drink alcohol.
You're not the only one.

And it is much easier for that crowd to say no, never, never will, would hang on first strike those who do drive under some influence.

Some of those are younger people and over time they might change the way they drink and start liking it more and with a little more life experience may end up facing some of those not so bright decisions some of us have made in the past. Maybe then their view on the subject will change some but until then I believe it is a little easy for them to throw the first rock.

I am certainly grateful nothing ever happened to me (fine, sentence or accident) then but I have also learned a lesson out of it and have changed my behavior accordingly. There is something to be said for second chances (not 10th or a 100th, second) and trusting people to learn on their own.

2cens.gif

Never done it and never will.

Besides I almost never drink alcohol I don't like its taste. Yes! Call me a freak but there are worse cases of people who I know (believe me it's true) that they don't like the taste of water.

Anyways here in Spain there are far too many douchebags who die on the roads for drinking and driving and I don't want to become one of them. And just as SL65 said, my driving license it's one of the things I love most and losing it would be one of the worst things for me.

Actually, I really don't like the taste of most alcohol either. I can do Budweiser, but some of this hard liquor that some people drink reminds me more of cleaning agents than products fit for human consumption. Bacardi, for example.

/offtopic

I drink once a month with our Toyota club, outside of that I don't find my self drinking at a bar to often. I tend to keep my self to two drinks if I am driving, our legal limit is 0.08, a bit less strict then some of you have. I know there have been a few times I had more to drink then I should have, and still drove home after wards. Thankfully I've never done this on busy roads, and I never lost control. But its not a wise thing to do. I respect my driving rights, and I always think about those rights when I do drink, and stop after 2 beers.

i found something that the lamborghini-owning-drunk-drivers could use. maybe it would come handy someday :lol:

Lamborghini%20kotszakje.jpg

You're not the only one.

And it is much easier for that crowd to say no, never, never will, would hang on first strike those who do drive under some influence.

Some of those are younger people and over time they might change the way they drink and start liking it more and with a little more life experience may end up facing some of those not so bright decisions some of us have made in the past. Maybe then their view on the subject will change some but until then I believe it is a little easy for them to throw the first rock.

I am certainly grateful nothing ever happened to me (fine, sentence or accident) then but I have also learned a lesson out of it and have changed my behavior accordingly. There is something to be said for second chances (not 10th or a 100th, second) and trusting people to learn on their own.

2cens.gif

I couldn't agree more...youth tends to be much more vindictive in it's beliefs. Not that I have ever driven under the influence, my license being the tool to get me to work, uni and the key to my social life, but like the old cliche goes...never say never.

A few years back, when I was around 14-15, I HATED the idea of smoking in all its forms. Loathed it. Now, at the age of 19, I smoke a pack every couple of days. And I never done it to rebel. Around the time I started to study hard at school, it eased my stress for some reason. It may be a pretty stupid/unrelated example, but you cannot possibly know what sort of person you will become in the future.