Australian version of Top Gear

You surely can't be any worse than Rove McManus. Act like an idiot and your chances will probably go from 0.000001% to 0.000005%.

Thanks! :thumbup:

I'll have to use that as supporting evidence in my application, perhaps as an endorsement similar to those found on the back of many book covers ... "(Tone) surely can't be any worse than Rove" - Red_Bull. :lol:

Best of luck to any other FGers looking to apply, I would really love to see at least one FG regular get the gig. And no, I'm not just saying that to get to the front of the queue for tickets/autographed merchandise either.

although if they're silly enough to give me the job, I'd be happy to do the same for fellow FGers ;)

They may be doing the unpredictable with this show instead of going with the 'regular' TV people. Ten years ago they did Top Gear with an unknown called clarkson, although he was 'known' in the car circles. May and Hampster werent added till later, Tiff use to be on Top Gear and went to Fifth Gear. so expect some of the same moving about. I think 3 hosts might be too many at first. Too much for the head to get around. But expect a chick to be in with a chance. Of course, we should expect the unexpected.

Well, Jeremy first appeared on Top Gear in the late 80s. Top Gear in it's 30 minute format ran until 2001, when the BBC pulled the plug due to poor ratings (Jeremy left in 1998 ;)). The Top Gear production team, with all the presenters went to Five, but due to legal reasons had to choose a new name.

Then in 2002 we got the format we all know and love, with Clarkson, Hammond and the unlovable tub of lard, Jason Dawe. He was kicked after the first season, and James May was his replacement.

3 presenters seems to be the prefect number. Wouldn't want anyone, because it'd become crowded, and 2 just wouldn't work.

hmm i wonder if the new aussie show would have an effect on the RTA and its stupid restrictions?

ie> P plater restrictions in NSW~

fking makes no sense. i cant drive a C180K which has like crap all power with a 5 star rating, but i can drive a 200kw Camry?? logic??

ps... i dont have a merc. im just making a point :p

hmm i wonder if the new aussie show would have an effect on the RTA and its stupid restrictions?

ie> P plater restrictions in NSW~

fking makes no sense. i cant drive a C180K which has like crap all power with a 5 star rating, but i can drive a 200kw Camry?? logic??

ps... i dont have a merc. im just making a point :p

For those that don't know go here: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/gettingalicence/200707_p1.html

Pay particular attention to the vehicle restrictions. Basically P-platers can't drive 8 cylinder engines, supercharged or turbo-charged (except diesels) engines, performance modified engines, or any other car specified by the RTA.

...this is why there's a lot of P-platers driving around in V6s (mostly commodores). Problem is, is that these restrictions hasn't quenched the P-plater need to drive fast and have accidents. They just find other means be it legal or otherwise. I can't say I blame them too much. The moment I was allowed to drive without a chaperone (victims as I like to call them ;) ) all I wanted to do was drive around and test my skills. I was a teenager at the time after all.

For those that don't know go here: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/gettingalicence/200707_p1.html

Pay particular attention to the vehicle restrictions. Basically P-platers can't drive 8 cylinder engines, supercharged or turbo-charged (except diesels) engines, performance modified engines, or any other car specified by the RTA.

...this is why there's a lot of P-platers driving around in V6s (mostly commodores). Problem is, is that these restrictions hasn't quenched the P-plater need to drive fast and have accidents. They just find other means be it legal or otherwise. I can't say I blame them too much. The moment I was allowed to drive without a chaperone (victims as I like to call them ;) ) all I wanted to do was drive around and test my skills. I was a teenager at the time after all.

seriously, ANY dumbass is able to drive at 150km/h, let it be an 80s rust bucket v6 commodore with NO safety devices or a Saab 93 with its meagre 110kw 1.8t but with traction control, abs, airbags and all that.

purely judging by car engine design is a definite error especially since many cars have low pressure turbos whose aim is to assist fuel economy and efficiency only.

skylines, wrx, evos, xr6t and all that i can understand, but those euro cars which have nxt to no power relative to their weight (ie C180K Saab 93 Volvos...) are srsly unfairly restricted.

instead kids should just be educated better into the affects of crashing and other accidents, onto themselves and most of all onto others.

in conclusion, kids will drive as fast as they want in any car they have if they want to. however, to limit road injuries and fatalities, which this system WANTS to do, then it is best to allow cars with high safety ratings to pass at the very least(C class has 5 star safety and i bet that rustbucket 90s commodore doesnt) Maybe they will even recognise that this system is seriously flawed.

They should have a multi tiered grading system which initially ranks the cars safety, then acceleration and then power. Engine design(ie turbo/super) doesnt necessarily dictate SPEEEED.

RTA needs to be less shallow and take more considerations in declaring rules. its JUST like judging a book by its cover.

They should have a multi tiered grading system which initially ranks the cars safety, then acceleration and then power. Engine design(ie turbo/super) doesnt necessarily dictate SPEEEED.

RTA needs to be less shallow and take more considerations in declaring rules. its JUST like judging a book by its cover.

I'd like to see this happen too but implementation of this idea is probably more difficult. I'd think the RTA wouldn't act on it unless someone else (an independent 3rd party) lays down the ground work first.

There also needs to be a more accessible way to vent this natural thirst for speeding.

I'm in.....

I'm in.....

I am a little pushed for time, but have a shoot planned for this weekend in Far North Queensland. I've even managed to get my hands on a Lamborghini Gallardo SE and an Audi RS4! It has been suggested that I may even have an airstrip closed for 30 mins or so to film the high speed stuff.

My main concern is that I don't have enough time available to properly script and edit it, so it may look like a dog's breakfast.

Fingers crossed that my years working as a radio presenter are finally going to help me do something interesting.

Scott

Last edited:
I am a little pushed for time, but have a shoot planned for this weekend in Far North Queensland. I've even managed to get my hands on a Lamborghini Gallardo SE and an Audi RS4! It has been suggested that I may even have an airstrip closed for 30 mins or so to film the high speed stuff.

I'm screwed. :blink:

Best of luck! :D

Oh yeah, according to the information about submitting an audition tape, you've only got about a week left to get it in.

How long do you think it'll take to select the hosts? I get the feeling "Gear" is going to be up and running before "TopGear Australia".

Oh yeah, according to the information about submitting an audition tape, you've only got about a week left to get it in..

Just authoring the DVD now. I have an Express Post satchel on standby, and my written material was printed weeks ago.

(it doesn't mean it's any good, it just means I'm organised ;))

Just a reminder- applications to host the show must be in by this friday.

Hey stiggie ... are you sending an application in? I suspect they could do with a stiggie as well as some presenters ... :lol:

Working on the edit now. Must work fast and have it posted by Wednesday at the latest. A couple of long nights ahead.

Couldn't get the airstrip closed down, as we couldn't give enough notice to the appropriate authorities. Managed to get a helicopter though. :cool:

Last edited:
Hey stiggie ... are you sending an application in? I suspect they could do with a stiggie as well as some presenters ... :lol:

No, I'm afraid I'm completely and utterly devoid of any sort of talent.:rolleyes:

I remember your scooter veview from SBS's YourGear competition though.

Working on the edit now. Must work fast and have it posted by Wednesday at the latest. A couple of long nights ahead.

Couldn't get the airstrip closed down, as I didn't give enough notice to the appropriate authorities. Managed to get a helicopter though. :cool:

Good luck! :cool: