Australian version of Top Gear

Good work, and good luck. I get the feeling that I'll think the same thing once mine is in an envelope!

I've just come back from posting mine. Spent the past two days shooting and editing. Now that I've had a chance to look at it I can see it needs aout a 3 more days spent on it. But at least it's in :)

LOL!

I sent mine in yesterday (they should have it today, gotta love Express Post!), and I thought exactly the same thing. All I want is another 4 weeks, a film crew, and a better range of vehicles to choose from than a TS Astra and a (broken) Honda Spacy. Let's put it this way: the filename of the my final edit is 'TG Audition Final Final Final Final Final.mpg'. :D

I'll have a look at scotth_uk's video when I get home tonight. I get the impression that the stars of my audition (an Astra and a pickled onion) won't be able to compete with a helicopter and a Lambo ... :mrgreen:

Good luck!

why on earth has that crappy gear programme got a bloomin subforum and yet the Aussie Top Gear is actually guaranteed and has been in the pipeline for almost half a year? Seriously, talk about rubbish bias!:mad:

I get the impression that the stars of my audition (an Astra and a pickled onion) won't be able to compete with a helicopter and a Lambo ...

I wouldn't worry about that tone, SBS/Freehand wont be worried about how well a potential host can organise, shoot, direct and edit their audition. They already have producers, camera-persons, directors and editors. What they'll care about is how well you perform in front of a camera. Do you demonstrate good car knowledge? Do you have a quirky sense of humour (that shows in your presentation)? Can you compare a host of different cars to various types of coffee?:p

I wouldn't worry about that tone, SBS/Freehand wont be worried about how well a potential host can organise, shoot, direct and edit their audition.

Agreed, but it can sure help you get remembered. ;-)

Like the gag about the bed spring. ;-) Very nice indeed.

Mine's finished: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=qjAGTnqH8dM

Not quite what I'd wanted, but it will have to do. Filming in 37 degree heat last weekend meant that I was running low on humour. :(

Last edited:
Like the gag about the bed spring. ;-) Very nice indeed.

Mine's finished: http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=8408182222969697709

Not quite what I'd wanted, but it will have to do. Filming in 37 degree heat last weekend meant that I was running low on humour. :(

Who needs humour when you've got a voice like that! I wish I had a voice like that. My nasal Adelaide twang is like nails on blackboard - we're talking 6 inch jobbies from Bunnings here - and no matter how much lowbrow innuendo I throw at my video, it's not going to conceal this.

TBH, the bed spring gag I thought was a little crude and obvious: I had to make that up on the spot, as I was going to tear shreds off one of the bits inside the car that didn't work. The ashtray, which wouldn't open at all during the time I've had that Astra, decided to fucking work for the first time ... d'oh! The rest was scripted, but the delivery was a bit rushed in parts - if you listen closely, you can tell where I screwed up twice in the Camry monologue ... but it was the best take I had. ;)

If - for some reason - you don't get a gig on TGA, perhaps SBS could offer you a job as a commentator on Speedweek? :D

Last edited:
why on earth has that crappy gear programme got a bloomin subforum and yet the Aussie Top Gear is actually guaranteed and has been in the pipeline for almost half a year? Seriously, talk about rubbish bias!:mad:

I actually agree that the aussie version should have its own subform. However I suggest you learn to write with some tact. I am sure that the American owners/administrators of this forum don't appreciate the ethnocentrically fueled hate you spue forth in everyone of these threads.

Because America is the greatest fucking country ever, MOTHERFUCKER! That's why!

_41798970_usa416.jpg
22236891.jpg

USA! USA! USA! FUCK YEAH!!!

Seriously though, don't forget the owner of this wonderful site hails from Oregon, which is nowhere near Alice Springs or the Midlands.

Also, don't mock the Marines, because they're truly badass.

Last edited:
That's pretty wicked that some of you guys are sending in some audition tapes! I'll definately watch them when I get back from work (where almost everything is blocked :( ) How many are sending in auditions?