Doctor Who

On Amy not remembering the Daleks:

I've just realised. Remember the episode "Dalek" from Series 1? That was supposedly set in 2012. Henry van Statten failed to recognise the Daleks as well.

Also, someone else on another forum spotted this. In "The Eleventh Hour", Rory's staff ID dates back to 1990. According to Google and Doctor Who Wiki, presuming he's the same age as Amy, that would make him 1 year old when he became a nurse. Personally, I think the fact that there was a close-up shot of the card suggests it's something more than just a production error.

So yeah. I don't think it's just Amy.

Not putting my reply to your post in spoiler tags as it contains some itneresting non-spoilery info and I tried to make it non-spoilery. If you are super-mega-sensitive about spoilers, don't read just in case.

a) The Van Statten thing would probably be explained away as "Oh, he was already a freaky recluse living underground with his toys by this point, he didn't believe the stories of the 'litle humans' above". Just my take
b) Moffatt got asked about Rory's nametag by somebody in the US the other day, and he said it was an error in the art department that he didn't know about (i.e. somebody grabbed a generic nametag template and forgot to change the issue date). A good lot of the nitpickers on GB aren't buying that though. Me? I'll happily wait and see. There's other theories going around that the "present day" Amy and Rory time is actually the 90's (hence the clocks and the ID) and trying to justify it with all the older cars, but I spotted a new-ish Micra and a Smart Roadster in the ep so I'm not sure

Saw VotD today, thought it was pretty good but not my favourite eposide so far (that goes to the Eleventh Hour easily). Agreed on
The bomb being stopped by him being 'human' due to his feelings- since when have the Daleks ever been stopped by feelings? He's still mechanically a robot, they should have all been blown to smithereens by normal Dalek standards IMO.

Loved the new Daleks- they look quite funky too :D

The Doctor was great in this ep- his range of emotions!

But I didn't like Churchill or the war room or anything, but I'm guessing that's because it was 1940's highly patriotic Britain, whereas I'm a 1990's-born unpatriotic Aussie :lol: The Churchill character (not sure if this was what he was like in real life, modern British history doesn't get taught much over here) was too bumbling and moronic for me.

And theory-

Amy is from Rose Tyler's/a similar parallel universe, which is where her parents are. Something/somebody brought her over to this universe, and it caused the crack in the universe. Perhaps Torchwood got hold of her and fixed up a back story/retconned her into believing that her parents were dead and she was living with her 'aunt' (a Torchwood agent who was assigned to protect her). Now she is barrelling around the incorrect universe and causing the cracks to appear as she shouldn't be there- two parts of time and space that never should have touched

I know a lot of people are saying similar things to my basic theory, but the "aunt thing" is something I just came up with :)

Last edited:
And theory-
Amy is from Rose Tyler's/a similar parallel universe, which is where her parents are. Something/somebody brought her over to this universe, and it caused the crack in the universe. Perhaps Torchwood got hold of her and fixed up a back story/retconned her into believing that her parents were dead and she was living with her 'aunt' (a Torchwood agent who was assigned to protect her). Now she is barrelling around the incorrect universe and causing the cracks to appear as she shouldn't be there- two parts of time and space that never should have touched
I know a lot of people are saying similar things to my basic theory, but the "aunt thing" is something I just came up with :)

interesting theory. my first thought that this was due to either the fallout from the Time Lords brief return in the End of Time or its a result of what the tenth Doctor did in the "Waters of Mars" and the cracks are the result of the Doctor changing history. The Dalek's didn't kill adelaide so they must have feared the consequences of altering her timeline. Either way this is still the Moff we're talking about and i'm sure more little bits will be revealed over the other 10 weeks remaining.
I do like the Aunt thing because during the Eleventh Hour when Amy was talking about her parents and her aunt i couldn't help but think there was a lot of foreshadowing going on.

Last edited:
I think the cracks in the walls and Amy's lack of knowlege about the Daleks are the new Doctor's Macguffin (Bad Wolf anyone?)

I agree that the Daleks in London episode is a weak one, and now Moffat is in the driving seat expect more brilliance from him, although I think it's a shame his best creation is re-appearing with his drippiest ever character. The idea of River Song is a good one, but to have her played by someone as close to damp cardboard as Alex Kingston is a travesty. I guess someone on the staff has a hard on for her hence why she got the part but when you consider the weight of some of the acting talent that's been involved over the last 5 years they could have got someone far deeper to make the part their own and make it one worth developing.

(sorry MWF, I'm about to completely disagree with you on Alex Kingston and River Song! :lol:)

Been thinking today, and I'm a bit worried about the next two episodes coming up, specifically about how River Song might be portrayed (massive rant to follow)

In Silence and Forest, she seemed to be this strong, fearless amazing leader who had the Doctor wrapped around her little finger, whether he wanted to be or not. Her "sexiness" came from these elements, and it was a confident, self-assured sexiness. Now, I know this is an earlier River that the Doctor is meeting, but she just comes across as a tart (for want of a better term, I really want a better one) in the promos. Flimsy dresses that look like a nightgown, way overdone makeup, blowing kisses at men before jumping out of spaceships? Even when she is in her army clothes, her makeup is too strong and that previous level of confidence just seems to be gone. If anything, I think they should have toned down the "sexiness"- the Doctor is younger physically and throwing that at him does seem kind of inappropriate for a family show. I dunno, my thoughts are all disjointed about this and I sincerely hope I am wrong, but it does slightly concern me. Alex Kingston is one of my favourite actresses (big fan of ER) and I loved River Song and saw her as really powerful companion material. Now I'm not so sure.

Just thought I would rant on here rather on GB where I would be flayed alive for having an opinion (as a relative newbie). But I dunno, I hate being one of those fans who stresses and freaks out over every detail and is constantly pessemistic about the show, but I would hate River to be truned into a flimsy sex kitten-type character.

On another note, since Facebook (I know, sorry!) changed "become a fan" to "like", my profile now boasts:
"Brydie likes The Doctor"
"Brydie likes Matt Smith"
and "Brydie likes Captain Jack Harkness". These combined with another rather amusing motorcycle racer is giving my friends endless amusement. Yay.

The biggest problem with Alex Kingston is that the character really can't be re-cast. Also i think Brydie is right on a number of points although what the Moff is probably trying to do is say that this is a person before they met the Doctor and is flawed. Presumably as she gets to know the Doctor she's going to gradually change into the River we saw in Silence and Forest.
To be honest, i don't overly mind with the return of River this week. Its mostly being overshadowed by the return of the weeping angels. Easily one of the most evil and terrifying alien creatures invented in Doctor Who. They are a threat that manages to make even me want to hide behind the couch.

i think the thing that seperates this forum and the forum of GB is that while we're both fans of a tv series. when we complain about a TG episode/series we do it in a way that comes across as constructive critiscsm. As opposed to the GB way of "i'm gonna hold my breath and stamp my feet until i get what i want!" actually after seeing the GB forum it definately makes me appreciate FG far more and the work Viper and all do.

My point was actually that Alex Kingston was miscast in the first place. Moff has to run with what he has. She was drippy and wooden in ER and the same in Dr Who. I like the character, I just can't stand the actor playing it.

(sorry MWF, I'm about to completely disagree with you on Alex Kingston and River Song! :lol:)

Been thinking today, and I'm a bit worried about the next two episodes coming up, specifically about how River Song might be portrayed (massive rant to follow)

In Silence and Forest, she seemed to be this strong, fearless amazing leader who had the Doctor wrapped around her little finger, whether he wanted to be or not. Her "sexiness" came from these elements, and it was a confident, self-assured sexiness. Now, I know this is an earlier River that the Doctor is meeting, but she just comes across as a tart (for want of a better term, I really want a better one) in the promos. Flimsy dresses that look like a nightgown, way overdone makeup, blowing kisses at men before jumping out of spaceships? Even when she is in her army clothes, her makeup is too strong and that previous level of confidence just seems to be gone. If anything, I think they should have toned down the "sexiness"- the Doctor is younger physically and throwing that at him does seem kind of inappropriate for a family show. I dunno, my thoughts are all disjointed about this and I sincerely hope I am wrong, but it does slightly concern me. Alex Kingston is one of my favourite actresses (big fan of ER) and I loved River Song and saw her as really powerful companion material. Now I'm not so sure.

Cant they have her be both? If she was just snarky and confrontational about everything how are they going to wind up together? :p Its the new doctor who formula, either your confused by the docor, or you're F**king him. Seems to be the companion way from rose onward.

pointed out by a friend and is just heaped in levels of awesome-ness.

also a new trailer for this weeks Doctor Who

and from BBC News

US Torchwood remake is put on hold
Plan to make a US version of the Doctor who spin-off Torchwood have been put on ice after TV network Fox pulled out. In a statement, BBC Worldwide said both companies had "mutually agreed not to progress together with a 13-episode serialized Torchwood format". However, the BBC said discussions with other networks were continuing and plans to get the show made for US audiences were still in the pipeline.
The sci-fi drama, starring John Barrowman, has been a hit in the UK. The show, which follows a group of secret agents battling human and alien enemies, began life on BBC Three in 2006. It proved so popular that it was moved to BBC Two - and attracted another ratings boost when a third series was shown on BBC One last year. However, the last move resulted in the series being cut from 13 episodes to five - allowing a single continuing story to be stripped across a week of programmes. At the time, Barrowman criticised the decision, saying he felt like the show was "being punished".
BBC Worldwide is the commercial arm of the BBC.
Full Article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8637901.stm
A US Version of Torchwood? not so sure about that one. i don't know if it would be about a US branch of Torchwood or a US version of the Torchwood storyline which might be difficult since it would have trouble fitting in the Who-niverse. Perhaps it would have no mention of the Doctor at all? Interesting to hear how they would have resolved this one.

Last edited:
That is one of the best vids I've ever watched and I've seen a bit in my time.

Also: Stone Angels, f-yeah! Think I'm probably going to watch Blink before the new ep if I can track it down.

Last edited:
well once again the Moff delivers. spent most of tonight's episode hiding behind my hand because of those freaking weeping angels. Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans, Evil clones or other nasties are always fun to watch. These Weeping Angels though, they scare the shit out of me.
the moment with Amy trapped in the container with the Angel recording being a great example here. Throughout that sequence i was like a 5 year old seeing the Daleks.
One thing i have noticed is that Smith's Doctor always appears older than his appearance. Smith is doing a great job as the Doctor in that only a few episodes in now, i can still see the same character behind the face and voice.

There's something so fundamentally gothic and twisted about the angels that can give grown men nightmares. I like that.

There's something so fundamentally gothic and twisted about the angels that can give grown men nightmares. I like that.

For me, they're easily the best "aliens" that we've had in Doctor Who since the first Christopher Eccleston ep. They are absolutely terrifying.

Really enjoyed tonight - a return to form after last week. Maybe because it's a two-parter, but the pacing felt better, and it looked properly big-budget - SFX were great, some of the propwork was amazing (the interior/exterior of the trailer, for example) and the whole 45 minutes kept me on tenterhooks the entire time.

Downside? Have to wait a week for the concluding half :(

I wanted to kill them too, I also having a madly beating heart from that beautiful cliffhanger ending. GRR!

For me, they're easily the best "aliens" that we've had in Doctor Who since the first Christopher Eccleston ep. They are absolutely terrifying.

They are awesome. I was worried that bringing them back might cause them to lose some of their charm, but Mr Moffat has managed to make it work.

On another note, I've just rewatched Victory of the Daleks, and I enjoyed it a bit more this time. Despite all the little flaws which I still maintain were flaws, it felt like a proper war film.:)

Does anyone else think River Song is a Time Lady from the Doctor's past?

Did anybody else want to kill the BBC for putting a stupid logo up just as Matt Smith did his big speech

Same. Those Dorothys can go f*** off as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
I think that as well. It just seems to work.

Re the ad: I'm going to write a letter to the BBC and I don't care if they don't read it.

She knows how to fly the TARDIS. If she didn't learn it from the Doctor, then who? The Time Lords are dead, aren't they?