Gigabit Switch

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
I download a ton of TV shows (no TiVO and I want HD-ish). I then dump them onto my two sisters' computers via LAN (they have shared, writable folders). However my router is only 100mbit (i.e. slow).

I was thinking about getting a cheap gigabit switch to cut down on those transfer times: DSL Modem -> Router -> Switch -> our PCs

However I have a few questions:

1. Will port forwarding continue to work? I assume it will, but want to make sure. It also means incoming packets heading towards me will also get sent towards everyone else on the switch, right? Is this a security risk? I assume their computers will ignore it as it's being sent to my IP and not theirs, but I'm not that good with networking.

2. Will a dirt cheap ($20) Rosewill switch do the job? I assume it wouldn't be as good (or something) as a $40 Linksys, but I'm not a datacenter or whatever. Most of the time we're under 1 mbit of traffic.

Port forwarding will work just fine. All that stuff is done on the IP layer (switches only prevent lower level protocols from spamming).

I would look into the metal netgear ones. They are just a couple bucks more expensive, but they look much more durable. Below is what I will be picking up when I upgrade my network to a 802.11n / gigabit set-up.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122005

why not router that does gibit?
Like one of those gaming routers?

less power consumed :D

That's wrong. That's what would happen on a hub.

Yep, only IP broadcasts get sent to everyone, and you won't be getting any of that from the Internet. I might add that you have most likely already been using a switch on your router. The router itself is just attached to the internal switch as a networked device.

Port forwarding will work just fine. All that stuff is done on the IP layer (switches only prevent lower level protocols from spamming).

I would look into the metal netgear ones. They are just a couple bucks more expensive, but they look much more durable. Below is what I will be picking up when I upgrade my network to a 802.11n / gigabit set-up.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122005

That one only says 100Mbit...

I got a DLink gbit switch, works exceedingly well. Max I've done is 70MB/s, ideal transfer rate...but usually 20-30MB/s, still way better than the 10MB/s you get with 100mbit router/switches.

I'd stick with a decent brand and pay a small difference; linksys; dlink; netgear

That's wrong. That's what would happen on a hub.

Oh, seems I have my switches and hubs confused. I was thinking switches were "dumb" and not like routers which "routed" traffic.

why not router that does gibit?
Like one of those gaming routers?

less power consumed :D

Because I love my WRT54GL and it's Tomato firmware plus gigabit routers are quite expensive. This is the cheapest solution.

I got a DLink gbit switch, works exceedingly well. Max I've done is 70MB/s, ideal transfer rate...but usually 20-30MB/s, still way better than the 10MB/s you get with 100mbit router/switches.

I'd stick with a decent brand and pay a small difference; linksys; dlink; netgear

Hmm, okay. Thanks! <3

Yeah, I think I'll get that D-Link as it's cheap-ish, good, and uses not much power.

Because I love my WRT54GL and it's Tomato firmware plus gigabit routers are quite expensive. This is the cheapest solution.

Oh ic, well then eyour way is better than mine.

let us know what you bought.

I once had a D-Link router that overheated and had to be manually restarted twice, every day... Dunno if the quality has been raised now though... oO

I personally wouldn't bother with Gigabit at all. I did a speed test of a direct connection between my NAS and my PC, both of which have gigabit LAN. The speed was around 16MB/s transfer speed. Through my router I get 10, and that's 100Mbps.

Might just be me though.

I personally wouldn't bother with Gigabit at all. I did a speed test of a direct connection between my NAS and my PC, both of which have gigabit LAN. The speed was around 16MB/s transfer speed. Through my router I get 10, and that's 100Mbps.

Might just be me though.
Definitely just you, I get good speeds, see my post above.

If you're willing to pay a bit more, you should look into the HP ProCurve range. They're abit more expensive than the household brands, but come with a lifetime warranty.
You also attain the nerd equivalent of "baller status" if you get a ProCurve switch. I've been dreaming of getting a ProCurve to replace my ailing Linksys router.

Thanks TechZ, I thought it should have been faster.

So could this be a good way for me to go too if the low speed was a one off, purely to get a direct connection between my PC and NAS drive but still allowing both access to the router? :)

Thanks TechZ, I thought it should have been faster.

So could this be a good way for me to go too if the low speed was a one off, purely to get a direct connection between my PC and NAS drive but still allowing both access to the router? :)
Sure, a gbit switch is a great go-between for all PCs to be connected to if your router is only 100mbit, its how my setup is.