If right wing politians dropped morality, would you vote for them?

• Yes I would.

Votes: 25 56.8%
  • No, I would not.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Unsure.

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters

Jay

the fool on the hill
In other words, if right wing politicians, especially those in America, dropped morality issues such as abortion, prayer in school, government as a moral compass, and instead focused on being the ones to limit government, reduce taxes, more free will, less government intrusion, etc. would you feel more inclined to vote for them?

This poll will not publish your name in the results.

Last edited:
Difficult one, I'd vote for the man/woman who I think could run the country in the best manner. Ideology in the UK at least has done nothing for good governance IMHO.

If I were an American, I think that the sooner that religion is ousted from US politics the better all around.

if right wing politicians, especially those in America, dropped morality issues such as abortion, prayer in school, government as a moral compass
Then they would not be right-wing anymore. :D

instead focused on being the ones to limit government, reduce taxes, more free will, less government intrusion
Those people are called liberals - at least in countries where this term isn't misused to describe social-democrats.

I don't think I have ever voted differently, but then they are an option in many European countries.

Right now? Probably not. The middle class is dying a slow death in this country and protecting the ultra-wealthy isn't the way reestablish the middle class and rebuild our shattered economy. Deregulation led to this problem, and the Right wants to deregulate even more.

This is basically my political stance. I simply do not care about social morality or religious issues. My only opinion is that the government should not interfere in that respect. So yes, I would vote for them but in truth I already do vote for right wing politicians. I may disagree with their stance on morality but it is better than the leftist alternative. Looking for a descriptor for my political stance I came up with libertarian hawk.

Last edited:
I'm not a warhawk, both leading parties here are. As Dave said Republicans here want to deregulate everything. Much of our current economic crisis wouldn't have happened if we had kept the laws passed after the 1929 crisis.

For instance, banks were banned from operating in multiple states until the 1980s. As a result of that law being repealed we have banks that are "too big to fail".

No, not really. I don't vote for them now, and I wouldn't vote for them then. I believe in a more liberal economic policy than at present, but still not the idea of limited government, as it would be seen by an Amiercan. That's going way to far, especially speaking about health services.

Right-wing politicians need to realize that American conservatism doesn't have anything to do with moral issues, only government ones - something that took a nosedive during Reagan's campaign with the Christian Right that basically represents the modern-day Republican party. That said, I would definitely vote for them if they didn't cater to single-party voters, and blithering morons alike.

I would never vote for them, ever. After what happened with Bush and what's going on now, I can't trust them. With their protecting the ultra-wealthy and promoting ignorance, the republican party has been the definition of what's wrong with this country. Republicans today are mouth breathing idiots who couldn't run a country if the instructions were written down for them.

I see no evidence of a superior intelligence on the left. Many of those who came out to vote for Obama, that inner-city populace that would not usually participate in the presidential election, is as ignorant and uneducated as anyone. The Democrats do seem to take pride in courting the ignorant and gullible.

Right now? Probably not. The middle class is dying a slow death in this country and protecting the ultra-wealthy isn't the way reestablish the middle class and rebuild our shattered economy. Deregulation led to this problem, and the Right wants to deregulate even more.
This. Even if the GOP did completely abandon the whole moral crusader act, they would still be in the pocket of the rich. Not that most Democrats are much better.

The Democrats do seem to take pride in courting the ignorant and gullible.
Compared to the GOP? I think not. When the Dems hold a rally you don't see a bunch of "ignorant and gullible" members of the "inner-city populace". But if you hold a GOP rally, you get a bunch of WASPs walking around dressed like George Washington, or carrying a rifle, holding pictures of Obama photoshopped to look like Hitler. Look at Sarah Palin. Even the GOP can't hardly take her seriously. But almost no GOP'er will bad mouth her because she's good for raising money and stirring shit up.

Last edited:
The Democrats do seem to take pride in courting the ignorant and gullible.
I'm going to feel really stupid someday when, way down the road, you reveal yourself as a trolling extraordinaire and we're all huge suckers.

How is it Democrats take pride in courting the ignorant and gullible? One even passing glance at any average tea partyer, or a conversation with a devout conservative, is enough to refute that statement.

And even then, Republicans take pride in courting selfish demagogues. Which is worse?

One even passing glance at any average tea partyer, or a conversation with a devout conservative, is enough to refute that statement.

And the average Democrat is bubbling with worldly knowledge? Have you visited a university lately? Most are full of various forms of leftists and liberals who may have gathered a few passing facts but in the end know little. You press them for any depth and there is nothing. "Republicans bad, corporations bad, Israel bad, Democrats good, Palestinians good, etc". Now, I know you will throw that back at me and accuse the average Republican of knowing little. I agree, the average Republican is probably an idiot. Indeed the average person is ignorant about most things. I am just trying to get us to agree on that.

You look through some of these threads and they are filled post after post of liberals basically saying that Republicans are stupid. Each has a slightly different way of expressing that opinion and each praises each other for spouting that off. It is a big pat on the back fest of like minds congratulating each other for agreeing with each other. I find it all endlessly entertaining.

I think social issues ("morality") are used by both sides simply to garner votes, neither seem to be doing much about social issues in terms of actual legislation.

As long as both parties are beholden to corporate interests, they won't get my vote.

And the average Democrat is bubbling with worldly knowledge? Have you visited a university lately? Most are full of various forms of leftists and liberals who may have gathered a few passing facts but in the end know little. You press them for any depth and there is nothing. "Republicans bad, corporations bad, Israel bad, Democrats good, Palestinians good, etc". Now, I know you will throw that back at me and accuse the average Republican of knowing little. I agree, the average Republican is probably an idiot. Indeed the average person is ignorant about most things. I am just trying to get us to agree on that.

You look through some of these threads and they are filled post after post of liberals basically saying that Republicans are stupid. Each has a slightly different way of expressing that opinion and each praises each other for spouting that off. It is a big pat on the back fest of like minds congratulating each other for agreeing with each other. I find it all endlessly entertaining.

I'll fully agree that elements on both sides are idiots, and the fringes generally can't be trusted with a butter knife, but I find it just simply hilarious that you're decrying the Democrats for preying on the "ignorant" and then turning around and, with a straight face, using people trying to educate themselves as an example of this. The party that preys on the ignorant is the one that denounces education as an evil, because that's a way to keep people from learning and making up their own minds.