Is Clarkson Really That Stupid?

Auto, unfortunately.
Wife won't drive a stick.

But it's ok, this car actually DOES have 300 horsepowers and 320 torques, so it might actually beat it's mammalian namesake...

Horse : 1 horsepower.
Car : 300 horsepower.

Oh well.

You may have to factor in power-to-weight ratios, torque (since all horses have circular legs), and whether the horse got an oil change recently and the mustang didn't.

:|

(everything Ameican is "Brilliant" every thing else is sh1t) which quite patently is incorrect just by shear rules of statistics,

Who the hell thinks this, exactly? I was born and raised in the united states and i've never thought to myself "Everything ameican is "brilliant" every thing else is sh1t".

As far as i know, i dont judge or hate anybody that i've never met, i would think that would make me look like an ignorant idiot <_<.

Who the hell thinks this, exactly? I was born and raised in the united states and i've never thought to myself "Everything ameican is "brilliant" every thing else is sh1t".

As far as i know, i dont judge or hate anybody that i've never met, i would think that would make me look like an ignorant idiot <_<.

WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA, YOU TERRORIST!
/sarcasm

This is the classic problem of the loudest individuals in a group
being taken to represent the whole group.

http://img301.imageshack.**/img301/7601/notalljerksblackht1.gif

responding to the first page:s

responding to the first page:s

I'd have to say that Mustangs are the most overatted sport car of all time. We, as americans think that live rear axels still cut it! (for chrisake, putting a shit load of horsepower on something does not make it a sports car.)

I'd have to say that Mustangs are the most overatted sport car of all time. We, as americans think that live rear axels still cut it! (for chrisake, putting a shit load of horsepower on something does not make it a sports car.)

See The Terminator Mustang, 420+hp, and IRS.

I might add that the whole hoopla concerning live rear axels is a bit overrated, would I prefer IRS, yes, but live isn't as bad as it is made out to be. The great thing about Mustangs is that if I have the desire, and a grand or two, I can put IRS on my car.

The Mustang will never win a specs sheets battle, it is meant to be cheap. The reason why it is an icon, and the best selling car of all time, is because it is a blast to drive. A V8 manual is both incredible cheap and incredible fun to drive. I don't buy cars to brag about spec sheets, I buy a car based on how fun it is to drive; and in that regard the Mustang excels.

You watch Top Gear for the eye candy and for the jokes....not for a serious source of automotive info.

Thats wrong, I may not watch it for info on weight distributions or fuel capacity, but their better then anybody at telling what a cars actually like. That is their strongest point by far, even without any jokes they would be successful just for that alone.

Or what I'm trying to say is, i sure as hell hope the show doesn't turn completely into potty-humor for half wits, because the people presenting it are better then that, and i think the audience expects more then that. Read any girls posts as to why they like TopGear so much more then any other regular "boring" motoring show and they wont say "because of the slapstick" they'll say because of the great writing and intelligence, as well as the natural humor.

I think everybody knows that, however the fact remains that it looks and sounds much better then most cars ever will, and when the mustangs didn't have the looks (early 90s) they at least had cheap speed and easy tune-ability like never before.

Last edited:
What was the matter with this thread: Click Me

I mean that thread has 27 pages of exactly what you lot are saying. We all agreed that the DVD is factually inactuate and abit rubbish last year.

Gib

Hey hey hey, nothing wrong with a good mustang. Yes, lots of them weren't very special at all, but it was built to be a cheap car for everyone, they quite succeeded at that goal, even today. It was never made to be the high performing car.

Drive a new one. A GT.
Do you want track-quality handling? Pay Ford $4,000 extra for it's suspension upgrades.
Do you want 400 horspower? Pay $4,000 for a supercharger.

FOR THE MONEY, there is no better, faster, funner car. That is why I own one, and why it is the most popular sporty car in the world by a huge margin...

FOR THE MONEY, there is no better, faster, funner car. That is why I own one, and why it is the most popular sporty car in the world by a huge margin...

Don't get me wrong, I love the Mustang.

It just seems a bit unfair to say it is the "most popular sporty car in the world" when, afaik, it's only on sale in the US and Canada.

If more Mustangs are sold on just one continent than similar vehicles sell worldwide, it's certainly the most popular in it's class.

As far as I know (and I could be wrong, but I have seen numbers along these lines) that no matter what Jeremy says, the current Mustang, year for year, outsells any other sporty mid size car in the world by a factor of 2 to 1. Now, I don't know what other cars fall into that category. Golf GTI? Ford Focus RS? WRX? Evo? Maybe only 2-door cars in that relative wieght class. What does that leave, the BMW 3 series? Saab coupe? There just isn't anything really (esp in a convertible) to compete with it, and certainly near it's price point, until the Camaro and Challenger come online. It's a huge car for European standards, isn't it?
That's another thing, it was also named the safest mid-size convertible in this country (US). I don't see how that's possible, given the 335i and CLK's and Saab's and Volvo's attention to safety. The Mustang doesn't even have rollover protection (hence the $1,000 padded steel rollbar I had installed in mine).

But, I'll say it again, for the money, if you need a convertible with a back seat, there is just no car you can buy that is so much fun to own with rear wheel drive and that kind of power. Your only other options (in this country) are the BMW and Mercedes, and with similar power and size and RWD they cost twice as much...

Last edited:
As far as I know (and I could be wrong, but I have seen numbers along these lines) that no matter what Jeremy says, the current Mustang, year for year, outsells any other sporty mid size car in the world by a factor of 2 to 1.

Reason being? The Mustang is one of the cheapest sport cars to buy. When the new V8 GT came out it was praised for being the cheapest way to get to 300bhp brand new.

I mean seriously what else comes close brand new? Off the top of my head I can't think of anything 2-door, RWD, "sports car" to compete.

As far as I know (and I could be wrong, but I have seen numbers along these lines) that no matter what Jeremy says, the current Mustang, year for year, outsells any other sporty mid size car in the world by a factor of 2 to 1. Now, I don't know what other cars fall into that category. Golf GTI? Ford Focus RS? WRX? Evo? Maybe only 2-door cars in that relative wieght class. What does that leave, the BMW 3 series? Saab coupe? There just isn't anything really (esp in a convertible) to compete with it, and certainly near it's price point, until the Camaro and Challenger come online. It's a huge car for European standards, isn't it?
That's another thing, it was also named the safest mid-size convertible in this country (US). I don't see how that's possible, given the 335i and CLK's and Saab's and Volvo's attention to safety. The Mustang doesn't even have rollover protection (hence the $1,000 padded steel rollbar I had installed in mine).

But, I'll say it again, for the money, if you need a convertible with a back seat, there is just no car you can buy that is so much fun to own with rear wheel drive and that kind of power. Your only other options (in this country) are the BMW and Mercedes, and with similar power and size and RWD they cost twice as much...

When did Clarkson say it didn't out-sell all those cars? Don't make stuff up its not funny! Yes for the money it is the cheapest car, but have you thought that maybe some people...just don't...really...like it? and that maybe its not a big deal? and maybe we should just stop this silly arguing?

:lock:

Well, of course I'd rather have the Audi RS4 convertible, but not for $80,000 that it costs here... :)

And I didn't mean to say Clarkson said it wasn't a good seller, I meant to say "even if Clarkson puts it down all the time".

until the Camaro and Challenger come online. It's a huge car for European standards, isn't it?

The challanger is huge, but the new camaro is actually pretty small... The problem is all the concept photos are always super zoomed in and with nothing to compare the size with.

leroy4.jpg

(FYI: Apperantly these are not the final headlights)

Well, I'm sure Clarkson will test one against a donkey in Mexico, call it a V8 or SS and actually drive the proposed 4-cylinder version around...

Seriously, why does it really matter? He either made a mistake, or just did it for humours sake, it's not like he used the V6 version while saying it was the V8 in a serious race that might actually affect people's opinion of the car.

Also, he's said multiple times that Australia has only ever invented the Rotary washing line, which is obviously wrong, but do we feel the need to make a 27 page long argument on it? I'm sorry if anyone takes offense to this, but the only impression that threads like this make on me is that overly serious/patriotic people who really need to understand that things like this don't really matter.